Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Does anybody know how much a set of dyno runs will cost at SLP HQ in Toms River, NJ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 01:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
lol, the chrome started to chip off of on my zr-1s too, but i figured it was with age. it was cheaper for me to buy 4 new blackmotorsport zo6s then to buy one new zr-1.

I think this si cool, i've been on the board for almost 2 years and never saw a peep from slp, except when someone was tearing apart their customer service badly. Now that they actually have someone on here to talk to us seems much better. before it just seemed that they didn't give a **** about the cust, they just wanted to eat your cash. how come you guys don't post rates for certain jobs? like doing lt headers? i can go on any sponser's website who installs stuff and for common installs(clutch, headers, subframe connectors...ect) they list a price.
BrandonDrecksage,

I will work on this for you and everyone. Was not even a thought here yet so thank you.

Give me until next week and I will post for the most popular items. Untill then please feel free the email me or call SLP and ask for some pricing.

Thanks
Hank
Old 12-07-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bring back SLP day @ E Town! That was fun!
Old 12-07-2006, 02:26 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by CAMJAG
Bring back SLP day @ E Town! That was fun!
I agree, weather it's free or not it was a fun day to see a lot of F-bodies and Vette's gather. But if they have it now we will have to deal with the Mustang jerk-offs LOL J/K I would like to see an SLP sponsored event happen at E-town or better yet Atco.

BTW about your headers, not for nothing, but for a header that is true "Tuned Length Long Tube Headers" and all it sure does make a whole lot less power then QTP's and Kooks', and they don't hang low nor do they look like a pretzel.

The Loudmouth was an awesome exhaust though I must say, until true duals became readily available...
Old 12-07-2006, 02:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
I agree, weather it's free or not it was a fun day to see a lot of F-bodies and Vette's gather. But if they have it now we will have to deal with the Mustang jerk-offs LOL J/K I would like to see an SLP sponsored event happen at E-town or better yet Atco.

BTW about your headers, not for nothing, but for a header that is true "Tuned Length Long Tube Headers" and all it sure does make a whole lot less power then QTP's and Kooks', and they don't hang low nor do they look like a pretzel.

The Loudmouth was an awesome exhaust though I must say, until true duals became readily available...
WS6TransAm01,

We will definitely let everyone know if we decide to do the race day again. I am glad that you had fun.

As for our headers, I have never done back to back testing of SLP vs QTP or SLP vs Kooks personally. If you can provide me with some dyno data I would love to take a look. No guessing please.

Personally I would love to do or witness a back to back same car same day testing of two different sets of headers SLP vs ???. Same dyno, Same Day, Same Car, all parameters recorded. Winner take all.

Thanks
Hank
Old 12-07-2006, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Hank, My car is the one listed on the QTP website. No tuning, no dyno tricks my car made 352hp and 370tq. I think Barry still has the graph...
Old 12-07-2006, 03:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by aliwantsnss
Hank, My car is the one listed on the QTP website. No tuning, no dyno tricks my car made 352hp and 370tq. I think Barry still has the graph...
Aliwantsnss,

I see the description of "On a 02 Camaro with bolts on ran 12.2@114mph. Full weight and drag radials. Dynoed 370TQ at the wheels" What were the other bolt ons? That would put you at about 425 Ft-lbs at the crank with just headers!?

I would not call the HP (352) unusually high, but the torque yes. The most I have ever seen a completely stock LS1 01-02 Car dyno at SLP was 321.9HP and 318.4Ft-Lbs. This was an 02. I have it on record here at SLP, dyno pull was on 12/10/02. I attached a .jpg (converted today)of the dyno pull that is why the date is off in the lower left, just in case anyone wanted to go all CSI on me.

The usual gain will be 30-35 hp (similar gains in torque, SLP providing more in the low-mid range) with a set of long tube headers up top, more with forced induction and big cubes.

Thanks
Hank
Attached Thumbnails Does anybody know how much a set of dyno runs will cost at SLP HQ in Toms River, NJ?-baseline-2002-m6-f-body.jpg  

Last edited by SLPPower; 12-07-2006 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have never seen an SLP rep before on any msg board. My last Trans Am was all SLP, then I discovered this site I will say all the stuff I bought from you guys I loved and they were all great quality...so get a dyno day date set-up asap I would love to only drive 15 minutes to get my car dyno'd. Do you dyno all makes/models, or just what cars you have listed on your site?
Edit: I just found my picture taken outside SLP a few years back bad pic
Old 12-07-2006, 03:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by JerseyLS1TA
I have never seen an SLP rep before on any msg board. My last Trans Am was all SLP, then I discovered this site I will say all the stuff I bought from you guys I loved and they were all great quality...so get a dyno day date set-up asap I would love to only drive 15 minutes to get my car dyno'd. Do you dyno all makes/models, or just what cars you have listed on your site?
Bring your grandma's town car if you would like. Seriously, we will dyno all makes and models. Mild to Wild.

SLP gives a big THANKS for the compliments.

Hank
Old 12-07-2006, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Just a FYI, if there was a way to make Firehawk rims available again those things would sell like hotcakes.

Oh yea, and I fell in love with the LM1 when I was 18 and it first came out.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow its nice to see that the reps are actually taking time to listen to what the people want. I applaud you guys. Now my only qyuestion is do you have any spare T-ram top end kit laying around down there? lol I dont have enough money for an LS1 but my 3rd gens would love some SLP stuff.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know SLP didnt just send a $10.00 a hr dork over to answer and post but the director of engineering. Thats pretty impressive! SInce you are the director of engineering wanted to give you a thumbs up on the old SLP dual dual. Best exhaust in the world to bad its out of production but i have my 2
Old 12-07-2006, 07:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by F-Bobby
wow its nice to see that the reps are actually taking time to listen to what the people want. I applaud you guys. Now my only qyuestion is do you have any spare T-ram top end kit laying around down there? lol I dont have enough money for an LS1 but my 3rd gens would love some SLP stuff.
F-Bobby,

The T-Ram....I wish that I did, because I would keep it for myself. They where a nice piece.

Restored my old 3rd gen 3 years ago. All SLP parts. I will send you some photos and specs, with some dyno graphs tommorow so you can get an idea what some simple SLP bolt on parts can do.

Hank
Old 12-07-2006, 07:48 PM
CT Hotness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLPPower
Yes with a lowered car the tuned length headers will have limited clearance, no argument there. Reason being: The SLP 99-02 F-Body Headers are Tuned Length Long Tube Headers and not just long tube headers. They were designed to create more low end torque then top end power. Tuned Length primaries allow more efficient scavenging of the exhaust by allowing one exhaust pulse to push the other out. The length dictates what RPM they will make the most power. We definitely did sacrificed space to gain more low end performance.
I am just curious from an engineering stand point, but how is it that the power to RPM ratio is primarily a function of the length of the header? I am not an expert of headers or anything, but there has to be a way to change another parameter in order to dictate the low end power the headers make. Has there been any research on that? There has to be something else, and from what I hear, the largest complaint about the SLP header is the length, and a lot of people avoid them because of that. IMO, I think it would be worth the money to come up with a different design in order to improve that. Thanks very much,
Stephanie
Old 12-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Teching In

What tuning software are you using?
I have had some mods done but the tuning that was done was basic at best(just minutes on the dyno)and has some rough spots and would like a more in depth tune done. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Hank,

I'm excited about the dyno days. And that tuning price of $205 sounds very reasonable. Do you guys use HP Tuners? And, by the way, does Reggie Harris and Ed Hamburger still work for SLP? Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by lilstephsls1
I am just curious from an engineering stand point, but how is it that the power to RPM ratio is primarily a function of the length of the header? I am not an expert of headers or anything, but there has to be a way to change another parameter in order to dictate the low end power the headers make. Has there been any research on that? There has to be something else, and from what I hear, the largest complaint about the SLP header is the length, and a lot of people avoid them because of that. IMO, I think it would be worth the money to come up with a different design in order to improve that. Thanks very much,
Stephanie
A tuned length header is not new technology or a new science. It has been around for quite some time as probably some of you more serious drag racers have used adjustable length primary headers or still do. The complete answer to the question can be and is entire text books By no means is this a complete comprehensive answer as I know there are many engineers that may read this and have a ton of info to add, but the basic concept is: The diameter of the primary, length of the primary and length and diameter of the collector all come into play. Since in an F-Body you can not fit a collector much larger then 3" it leaves the length of the collector and diameter and length of the primaries to play with. Also limited in size without interference in an F-Body is the diameter of the primary. Which now leaves us with the collector and primary lengths to modify. For a street car leaving the CATS as close to the exhaust manifolds as possible helps in the aid of the function of a CAT. This leaves us with the length of the primaries to modify.

By changing the length of the primaries you can move the power/torque curve similar to changing the duration of a camshaft. Longer tube lengths move the peak power/torque down the RPM scale while the shorter tubes moves the peak power/torque up the rpm scale. The length of each primary is calculated by the redline of the engine the header is being used on. We created the most optimum length we could fit to gain more low end power on the LS1 f-Bodies. Thus the "pretzel" look. Thus the decrease in clearance.

Exhaust systems are not an exact science but they are a science. I am sure I sounded like some articles/text books many of you have read, sorry.

We have moved away from the "tuned length" headers since the F-Bodies as we realize customers did not like the decrease in clearance and tough install to gain the low end power.

I would like to go back and design a new set of SLP long tubes for the F-Body to give our customers two options. Although this will not happen for some time as new products are higher on the priority list now. I hope you can understand that.

I hope I answered your question, or made it more clear what a tuned length header is and the basics on how they work.

Thanks
Hank
Old 12-07-2006, 08:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Skipper
What tuning software are you using?
I have had some mods done but the tuning that was done was basic at best(just minutes on the dyno)and has some rough spots and would like a more in depth tune done. Thanks.

Your choice, LS1 Edit or a Diablo Sport (CMR) Software. If you would like to leave with a handheld to adjust parameters at the track, go with an SLP/Diablo unit.

Thanks
Hank
Old 12-07-2006, 08:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by damon_Z
Hank,

I'm excited about the dyno days. And that tuning price of $205 sounds very reasonable. Do you guys use HP Tuners? And, by the way, does Reggie Harris and Ed Hamburger still work for SLP? Thanks in advance for the info.
damon_Z,

See post above on software used at SLP please. Yes Ed Hamburger still owns SLP and works very closely with my department. He was a great drag racer and has some great ideas/tricks on making power.

Reggie Harris is still a great friend to SLP but does not work in Toms River.

Thanks
Hank
Old 12-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Teching In

I think I was one of the first cars to get some work done when the shop re-opened and plan to get a few more things done.

Work was great, parts work well and hassle free.

Bandit
Old 12-07-2006, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLPPower
Aliwantsnss,

I see the description of "On a 02 Camaro with bolts on ran 12.2@114mph. Full weight and drag radials. Dynoed 370TQ at the wheels" What were the other bolt ons? That would put you at about 425 Ft-lbs at the crank with just headers!?

I would not call the HP (352) unusually high, but the torque yes. The most I have ever seen a completely stock LS1 01-02 Car dyno at SLP was 321.9HP and 318.4Ft-Lbs. This was an 02. I have it on record here at SLP, dyno pull was on 12/10/02. I attached a .jpg (converted today)of the dyno pull that is why the date is off in the lower left, just in case anyone wanted to go all CSI on me.

The usual gain will be 30-35 hp (similar gains in torque, SLP providing more in the low-mid range) with a set of long tube headers up top, more with forced induction and big cubes.

Thanks
Hank
My car dynoed 307.9 hp and 326.9 tq with the Whisper lid, SLP ram air, and Spintech catback. Once I added the QTP HVMC headers, Mufflex ORYP, and QTEC, it did indeed dyno 352 hp and 370 tq. It was quite impressive and never was tuned. It did go 12.2 @ 114 completely full weight, on the stock rear. Once a 12 bolt with gears, pulley, tires and weight reduction were done it went 11.70 @ 116 hitting the rev limiter still set to stock.... There are several other cars on here that saw similar gains.

Quick Reply: Does anybody know how much a set of dyno runs will cost at SLP HQ in Toms River, NJ?