Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Remember that contractor that screwed me for $6k?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ButtaballZ28
Hey Tom you hafta tell me what to do.....my mom paid a guy to do my roof like 8 months ago....shingles are still here. He has over 8k of my moms money....I couldn't belive she paid the guy in full to do it. He only did 1/4 of my roof. I will get all the info tomorrow.

I'm not sure how much your Mom has been pursuing this. If she hasn't called much, the first thing to do is call and see which day he's going to be there to do the job. Push for the upcoming week. If he puts it if, make sure he knows that you really want to have it done soon and point out how long she has been waiting. Wouldn't hurt to reference the contract if she has one.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ButtaballZ28
Hey Tom you hafta tell me what to do.....my mom paid a guy to do my roof like 8 months ago....shingles are still here. He has over 8k of my moms money....I couldn't belive she paid the guy in full to do it. He only did 1/4 of my roof. I will get all the info tomorrow.
Butta: In Ma., you now have to file a building permit in order to install a new roof. Have your Mom contact the city of Lynn building inspector's office. Give them the guy's name and tell them the story about giving him the $. Whether he has filed the necessary paperwork w/Lynn or not -- they will be on his *** pronto. One more thing: Have her tell her story to the Ma. Better Business Bureau, as well. They will also make life miserable for this ********. WJ
Old 02-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Launching!

If he's not a member of the BBB then it usually doesn't mean much to him. That's a great idea though, go to the town hall and start there.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Pick up your issue tomorrow!

www.auburnnews.net
Old 02-07-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

to bad they spelled your name wrong........
Old 02-07-2007, 05:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got mine today
Old 02-07-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Everyone spells my name wrong so I'm used to it. To should change it to Smith

I took a ride up to Auburn tonight. Bought a total of 22 papers. A few for myself, my attorney wants one and then some select people will be getting a copy too. Actually, I think I paid for about 26. I ended up telling the story in each store that I went into and I even a bought a few papers for some of the customers too! Some of the article was incorrect. First the spelling of my name. It also says that I asked Jon if he would do the work. He kept asking me if I was going to have him do it. I like how he said I just called him out of the blue and said that I didn't want him doing the work anymore. He says the reason is because I couldn't get a discount on the materials. It's interesting to see how he keeps twisting the story.

I'm going to have the article typed up and post it on the site if the paper doesn't mind. One of the cashiers said that someone else came in and bought a bunch of copies too. I guess he'll be a famous guy in town too!
Old 02-08-2007, 01:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Justice is slowly reigning. So far, so good Tom. Don't stop now. Wonder if he's gotten fat from all the pizzas he ordered...errr, nevermind.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

His truck looks like it's been sitting in the driveway for awhile. They haven't got snow in Auburn in awhile but his windsheild is covered with it. Oh yeah, no work so no money for gas and no reason to go anywhere!
Old 02-08-2007, 07:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tbyrne
His truck looks like it's been sitting in the driveway for awhile. They haven't got snow in Auburn in awhile but his windsheild is covered with it. Oh yeah, no work so no money for gas and no reason to go anywhere!
HaHa,payback is a bitch.Good job!!!!
Old 02-12-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's getting CRAZY now!!! I just received this e-mail from one of his neighbors -

I read your article titled “Contractor under fire from Client” dated February 7, 2007. I live one street over from Mr. Drewniak and am also a victim of his fraudulent business practices. Mr. Burne’s story sounds very similar to my own. It got to the point where I had to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau requesting half of my deposit back but to no avail. If you are interested in hearing my story and writing an update to your article in the Auburn News I’d be happy to share it with you. I can be reached at ..........

Damn!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Launching!

He's gonna need to move to California to work. Good job man.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tbyrne
It's getting CRAZY now!!! I just received this e-mail from one of his neighbors -

I read your article titled “Contractor under fire from Client” dated February 7, 2007. I live one street over from Mr. Drewniak and am also a victim of his fraudulent business practices. Mr. Burne’s story sounds very similar to my own. It got to the point where I had to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau requesting half of my deposit back but to no avail. If you are interested in hearing my story and writing an update to your article in the Auburn News I’d be happy to share it with you. I can be reached at ..........

Damn!!!!!!!

Wow. I hope everyone gets their money back from this d-bag
Old 02-14-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

The Auburan News will be doing a follow-up story about him and how he recently took money from one of the town's resident's and didn't do much work. They will also correct the spelling of my last name I filed a BBB complaint on Monday so they will be contacting him soon. I've been told to personally goto the Attorney General's office to research his company and file a complaint with them. More can be done in person. I want to see if there are any judgements against him. I'm not sure if that can be done there or somewhere else.

The other person's BBB complain is now listed on the site. Reading that feels like reading my own story. He did alot of the same things!

www.bewarehomeandgarden.com
Old 02-14-2007, 08:42 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like he is going down!
Old 02-14-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

if there are judgements against him they would most likely be a part of public record. usualy the only records or portions of records that get sealed are for incidents invovling minors(name removed if witness, sealed at the age of 18 if under when convicted) or if the seal is part of the settlement agreement of a cse(most of the time they jsut don't want to disclose $$$ amounts)
not sure how the laws up there work for stuff like this, in jersey all that info would be found in the records department at a county court house
Old 02-27-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I checked the local court house. They don't have anything listed for him. I might have to go through others unless there is a way to find something on record like a credit report.

It looks like he now reads some of these message boards. ls1gto.com is mentioned in his BBB rebuttal. I wonder if he reads this one too

02/26/2007 WEB BBB RECEIVE BUSINESS RESPONSE : Tom Byrne hired me during the summer of 2005 to landscape the property of a house he was having built. I offered Tom a contract, and he did not want one. I started buying materials and spending time on the property throughout the summer, but there were several instances when the other contractors' materials were in the way. Often times Tom would call me up and tell me when the materials would be cleared, and I would drive there only to find out it was not true.

In August, Tom went to the nursery and tricked a worker there into telling him the codes for my contractor's price. At that point, Tom gave me an ultimatum that I had to be there by August 17th. I had other work going on and could not be there at the drop of a hat, so I said I would try to be there Wednesday or Thursday. I suspect that since Tom found out he was not getting my contractor's price for the plants, at this point he decided to terminate the job, which was probably the reason for the ultimatum.
Tom called me after August 18, 2005 to tell me he was terminating the job and that he wanted his $6000 deposit back. Since I had already purchased materials and had spent time on the project, I made an offer of $3000. I also offered to drop off the rest of the materials so another landscaper could finish, but Tom answered that he would have that person arrested if he were to show up on his property. Tom refused the $3000 offer, so I suggested we go to a 3rd party to have the matter settled. Tom's response was that if could not get the entire deposit back, he "would spend his time making my life a living hell".

Tom had a lawyer send me a letter demanding $6250 in the fall of 2005 by a deadline. The deadline came and went, and so I was waiting for some kind of 3rd party hearing to resolve the matter legally, but that never happened. He had also attempted to email my wife at work to convince her that he was a victim of me, but those emails were forwarded to her corporate security department. My wife and I moved our residence in December of 2005, and never heard from Tom Byrne again until one year later.

In December of 2006, I got several phone calls and emails from people warning me that Tom was posting my and my wife's personal information over the internet. My wife was also receiving some phone messages from Tom at work which she also forwarded to her corporate security department. Tom had filled out a collection agency form on line and had doctored it to threaten my spouse and family. At that time, I also filed complaints with the Auburn, MA police because Tom was starting to harass my wife and me.
Using the internet, Tom exposed the following information:

my Social Security number (which the Auburn police asked him to remove),
offered my and my wife's Social Security numbers on forums and on web sites,
listed phone numbers and email addresses for both me and my wife (my wife's information was her work information because Tom knew which company she worked for),
Listed both my and my wife's dates of birth,
listed both of our license plate numbers,
displayed pictures of me,
Displayed pictures of my and my wife's vehicles with close-ups of our license plate numbers,
Listed our home address,
Displayed pictures of our home.

Tom owns two web sites that contains his "story"
Bewarehomeandgarden.com (in fact the majority of his BBB complaint was cut and paste from this web site)
Jondrewniak.com .

Tom had a complaint written in the Auburn News (town where I live), has encouraged people to bulk text message my phone (the Auburn police witnessed this first hand) and has reached out to the public on the following internet sites:

Digg.com/offbeat_news/Ripped_off_homeowner_takes_a_stand
Ratemyeverything.com
Ripoffreport.com
Ls1gto/forums (search on my last name and there are 4-5 threads containing my personal information and unethical encouragement from other people).

On January 30, 2007, I received another letter from Tom's attorney threatening to sue me under Massachusetts law 93A. I have hired an attorney to respond. I thought that the BBB was used to resolve matters before lawyers are involved, so I am confused why I am answering another BBB complaint.

In summary, although I offered Tom a $3000 refund in 2005, I feel that I owe him nothing. As he discusses in his forums, he got his money's worth by harassing me and my wife. I tried to resolve the issue legally, and he refused. Tom has chosen to resolve the matter unethically, so I have withdrawn my original offer to him.

I was going to touch on some of this but there isn't much that is accurate. Especially the stuff about this wife. I hardly mentioned her. He did offer me $3000. but I wasn't taking that for the little bit of work that was done. At least he has the list of sites this has been posted on correct. He missed a whole lot more thought! This whole thing will be going to the next level soon. Alot of the media will be getting a copy of this story!

The Auburn News (www.auburnnews.net) will have the story about his neighbor that he ripped off in tomorrow's edition. Part of it is now listed on their website.

So... the plot thickens!

www.bewarehomeandgarden.com