Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

MD Emissions Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007 | 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Default MD Emissions Question

I live in Maryland and i'm wondering how they do emissions here. I heard that they do it by computer for '94 and later models. Is that true? No sniffer? Or do they do that and a visual test too? Thanks in advance,
Old 02-06-2007 | 08:57 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Emissions in MD is the OBDII scan on 97 or 98 and later cars (last I checked, unless it's changed).

They additionally stick the gas tank to check for gas cap seal, and maybe "race gas" (though I'm not sure about the gas portion, they do check gas cap seal though).

I have NEVER seen them do a visual on the cats, doesn't mean that they won't...but I have NEVER seen one emissions tech miror a car, ever.
Old 02-06-2007 | 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

they dont do any visual or sniffers on OBD-2 cars, seen alot of cam-only cars smelling like gas idling crappy pass emissions. i dont have any emissions equipment like alot of the people i know and i always pass. only problem is i heard DOT officers post up outside some emissions places to do some "screening" and thats bad news...
Old 02-06-2007 | 03:24 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by spy2520
they dont do any visual or sniffers on OBD-2 cars, seen alot of cam-only cars smelling like gas idling crappy pass emissions. i dont have any emissions equipment like alot of the people i know and i always pass. only problem is i heard DOT officers post up outside some emissions places to do some "screening" and thats bad news...
Just pull out of line and go another time...or on a friday evening right before they close (that's the smartest time to go).
Old 02-06-2007 | 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always go to the place in Annapolis and so do my buddies and i have never seen or heard of any problems. I think your pretty safe as long as you dont throw any codes.
Old 02-07-2007 | 09:18 AM
Alt
TECH Resident

Now there wouldn't happen to be anyone around Carroll County that could delete 2 of my emission codes so I can finally get this car through the OBD-II scan is there? Instead of drilling a hole in my MTI lid I have a breather on one of the tubes and it used to throw a code then go away, now it seems like its on for good with the cold weather for whatever reason. Is there anyone around with a handheld that could help out?

As far as the tests, any vehicle with OBD-II they just hook up to the computer and let it scan. Never encountered a visual.
Old 02-07-2007 | 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure they just check the gas cap and plug it in. I've never seen a visual check for cats before.
Old 02-08-2007 | 02:52 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

My SES light went off yesterday so I took the SS up there and all they do is check the gas cap and plug it in to scan.
Old 02-08-2007 | 06:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Its not normally having the light on that does it, its a stored code that normally does it. We dont have one car that fails emissions, 8.90s or 13s - I love Md for that reason at least
Old 02-08-2007 | 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah OBD II is pimp, my 4th gen ws6 went right through, its mostly stock but still doesnt take long to test.

My OBD I formula thirdgen is another story, takes the place about 20 minutes to get done with mine, trying to get it on the rollers, then saying not going to work then going over the rollers and do an idle test and so forth. Pretty sure I am in the computer now as having to do idle only test. At least now I can do chip burning thanks to GrannySShifting (Jeff) from PSI. It will help my changes of passing with better numbers, the previous times I have barely passed.

No under hood checks, but they do under the chassis checks with the mirror for the OBD I cars, I dont recall them doing it for my OBD II car but I could of missed it. They check gas caps I think almost on any car unless its really old I would guess.
Old 02-08-2007 | 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

I live in Baltimore county and always use the Erdman Ave. testing facility. They never do visual checks and if you have a pre-96 car that youre sure wont pass the sniffer you can just slip the guy a twenty and your car will magically pass with no problems.
Old 02-09-2007 | 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

the light won't fail you any longer. They changed it a few years ago.