Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Question for New Jersey members

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for New Jersey members

Hey guys,
I've been a member on here for almost a year now; did alot of major noob reading. I bought my LT1 T/A almost 2 years ago and its been my DD since. I've fought the urge to modify thus far focusing on my '69 camaro project. I have decided to give in to that urge and follow most of your leads; sorry I'm getting off topic. I have two major questions for you guys
1. Looking into deleting AIR/EGR and running LTs, ORY, and typical catback. Assuming I take car of the front O2s in the headers w/ extensions and use LT1edit or similar tuning to tune out the rear O2s and emissions system to keep the codes quiet what kind of problems will I run into passing inspection? Being that the car is a '96 OBDII will I have to pass the plug in only? Or are they gonna search me for cats?
2. I own 3 cars, all F-body; I'm almost done w/ college and would like to become move involved in my local/statewide f-car community; where should I begin?
Thanks
Old 03-20-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

if you want to get more involved in the f-body community, go hang out at atco for a while. if you arent near atco, just go to the nearest track. for the most part, everyone goes to the track just to have a good time and to meet people, so its a good place to start!
Old 03-20-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

They will search for the cats so you need them to pass DMV inspection. Private shops should also look for them and if they get caught passing you without them they could be open for a $10,000 fine. Plus, running longtubes with no cats is obvious from the smell. I put a pair of 3" cats in my old 96 SS when I put in some Pacesetter longtubes. Get an Ebay 3" cat for around $40-50 for the passenger side and a Pypes 3" cat for around $60 for the driver's side. It's still not 100% legal due to relocating the cats but inspection probably won't realize that.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:39 PM
LC2
Staging Lane

http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php
Old 03-21-2007, 12:40 PM
Teching In

ATCO is a little far for me. But I'm not far from Island and about an hour from Englishtown. I've been to island a few times but didn't run. I will get out there when the semester is over to get a baseline on my T/A and hopefully can finish my '69 camaro drag project.

JL8- I was debating whether or not I should weld up 2 cats; I saw a setup almost exactly like the one I'm waiting to do from another member that did weld up the cats; looked good and stayed mostly legal like you said, still not 100% but close enough. I've got a few shops that do inspections that are friends but I wouldn't want to put them in a bad position either. I think I probably will weld up 2 cats. Once I get the system done, you think I should just drive around w/ the SES light (rear O2 sensors) on for a while until I get some tuning to tune them out or just get some O2 sims?

LC2- thanks for the link
Old 03-21-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome... I'm about 20 minutes from island. I had cats on my old LT1, and passed emissions. It was a private garage, but he still put me through the test anyway. Good luck, I see you have OBD2 so you technically just should have your computer plugged in to inspect. I would get the rears tuned out, PM me if you want the name of the guy that computer tuned my car and did a great job... don't forget the LT4 knock module.

-J
Old 03-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Teching In

pm sent
Old 03-21-2007, 04:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Welcome... I'm about 20 minutes from island. I had cats on my old LT1, and passed emissions. It was a private garage, but he still put me through the test anyway. Good luck, I see you have OBD2 so you technically just should have your computer plugged in to inspect. I would get the rears tuned out, PM me if you want the name of the guy that computer tuned my car and did a great job... don't forget the LT4 knock module.

-J
Even with OBD2, isn't there an age limitation that requires the dyno/sniffer??
Old 03-21-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend's 97 was just plugged in... he kept failing, but that's moot I am not aware of any age limitations, but if there are then I am mistaken.

-J
Old 03-21-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Even with OBD2, isn't there an age limitation that requires the dyno/sniffer??

currently all they do is plug in the OBD2 cars no matter what the production date. if al the slef checks pass, they just do the safety visual(tires, horn, headlights/taillights/indicators), check the gas cap, and slap a sticker on it
Old 03-21-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

96 is the first year for the F-body inspection for OBDII which just plugs in. You'll fail if you dont get the rear O2's tuned out or sims. But they also stick the mirror underneath the car looking for the cats to make sure they are there. Passenger side you should be able to clamp in yourself. I clamped in the driver's side as well but it leaked a little so I had a shop weld it up at both ends for $40. Here's my y-pipe with cats added on my 96 SS.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Teching In

thanks for the input guys, i think i'm going to end up welding two cats up to the y pipe, and i'll make sure to get the rear O2s tuned out when the time comes.