Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 12:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Speed TV to air new show called "Blow it up"

Saw this on NHRA.com......

5/14/2007
Clay goes Hollywood

Another drag racing TV show is hitting the airwaves in July. Fast-talking Top Fuel driver Clay Millican was selected by Rich Christenson, the creator and host of Pinks, to host his own show called Blow It Up!. The show will air on Speed TV. Millican just finished taping the first five episodes, and he tells me it's sure to be a favorite among the millions of gearheads in this country.

"It's me versus the cars," Millican said. "I'm in control of everything, and there are practically no rules. Like the name says, I'm trying to blow these suckers up, and they're trying to survive. It's crazy."

Participants in the show range from hard-core racers who think their hot rods are indestructible to sworn enemies from rival car clubs or speed shops who want to prove their cars are better than those of their opponents.

"I'll start by picking the number of passes they have to make down the strip," Millican explained. "Then I start punishing them. Maybe I'll make them do burnouts all the way down the track. Maybe I'll leave them on the transbrake for 30 seconds. Maybe I'll make them do 30 passes in a row without shutting the car off. Aside from obvious things that would kill a car, like running without oil or something, there is no limit to what I can put them through. And I can change my mind anytime I want.

"I don't want to give too much away, but some of these dudes actually made it through. I was amazed. They never complained. If it were me, half the things I asked them to do I would have said, 'No way.' But these guys did it."

The hardest thing about taping the show? Millican said they asked him to be serious throughout. "Every 30 seconds, it was like, 'Cut, cut, cut; Clay, quit smiling,' " he said. "Man, that's hard for me."
Old 05-15-2007, 05:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds kinda cool, I hope they put times up, thats one thing that really bothers me about pinks.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:14 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mmhmm, interesting. I wonder how long until people stop putting up their own cars and just making a car for the show.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I dunno, sounds kind of dumb to me.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm I could see it now a Noyzee vs Slowhawk grudge match on this TV show... Where do I sign them up I know of another show coming out on spike where there are competitors in trying to prove they are the best for a real professional racing contract as well.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds dumb to me, almost as dumb as... whats that show... oh yeah PINKS...

Heres an idea, how about a show where the rivals/contestants/ what have you have specific time-frame to build a car, or a specific budget to spend or a specific type of car to build. Or better yet, just agree to show up with whatever and run em heads up no bullshit.

Then when they race, its heads up and nothing but... the network would get the drama of the buildup and the people wouldn't have to watch Rich Christensen be "inclined to give them what they want" or wipe out on a GSXR and feel the need to take his shirt off.