Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Moving to New Jersey next month

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to rent the first year out there. It's just me that's moving so I don't need that much except a roof, a garage.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gatman01
I'm looking to rent the first year out there. It's just me that's moving so I don't need that much except a roof, a garage.
I feel the same way, I could careless as long as it has a roof...but the GF feels differently Consider yourself lucky. If you meant ft.monmouth, thats a hike from browns mills...my boss use to make the identical commute and it was about hour and 15-20 minutes.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Job offer is Fort Monmouth. I think it's an Army Base. Cali's cost of living is higher than NJ. There's just a lot of stupid laws and taxes here and Smog check is really ****. I haven't officially decided but it looks like I'm gonna take it.

i go to school in the camp evans area on ft monmouth. youll probably be in the eatontown, neptune, wall area.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Yea its an army base, the've supposedely been closing it for the last 20 years lol. I grew up about 5 minutes away. Not really active mostly civilians...I work for caci I believe we have a few contracts there. Yea do search use 07755 or 07712 for the zip.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
Yea its an army base, the've supposedely been closing it for the last 20 years lol. I grew up about 5 minutes away. Not really active mostly civilians...I work for caci I believe we have a few contracts there. Yea do search use 07755 or 07712 for the zip.
CACI as in working with the promina?
Old 10-09-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Well im caci on mcguire afb , i manage war ready medical material...ex army here
Old 11-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Well, I'm here. My car is not. It's in storage until I get settled in. I'm livin' with a friend for the time being until I can get a place of my own.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

welcome
Old 11-10-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

there are a lot of towns over there that you can prolly find a nice place for not too bad a price. tons of condos with small garages that you will prolly want to avoid.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ping King
i go to school in the camp evans area on ft monmouth. youll probably be in the eatontown, neptune, wall area.

i didnt know camp evans was still open.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

Job offer is Fort Monmouth. I think it's an Army Base. Cali's cost of living is higher than NJ. There's just a lot of stupid laws and taxes here and Smog check is really ****. I haven't officially decided but it looks like I'm gonna take it.
You do know Fort Monmouth is scheduled to close one of these days, right? Not sure when, though. IIRC in the next few years. Search the Asbury Park Press archives for details, maybe.

Where to live? Depends on how much you have to drop on a house, do you have family in tow (kids, really), do you like elbow room, etc. Close to there that is nicer is Shrewsbury, Tinton Falls, Middletown, Eatontown. The beach area can be done, like Belmar, maybe Wall. Feel free to PM me (although I am not on here daily). Edit: RIF, I just saw your later post. By yourself opens up your options. Neptune, Ocean Township, Red Bank. Tinton Falls has a lot of condos right off RT 18, so renting in that area may be good.

Jersey is expensive and often a PITA, but no worse then California.

www.NJFBOA.org always welcomes a new member!

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
i didnt know camp evans was still open.
It isn’t as a govt installation. Closed many years ago. My dad was an electrical engineer there for many, many years. They did much of the early development of laser rangefinders there.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Monmouth is alright ive been there a couple times pretty far north from me though
Old 11-16-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BonzoHansen
You do know Fort Monmouth is scheduled to close one of these days, right? Not sure when, though. IIRC in the next few years. Search the Asbury Park Press archives for details, maybe.

Where to live? Depends on how much you have to drop on a house, do you have family in tow (kids, really), do you like elbow room, etc. Close to there that is nicer is Shrewsbury, Tinton Falls, Middletown, Eatontown. The beach area can be done, like Belmar, maybe Wall. Feel free to PM me (although I am not on here daily). Edit: RIF, I just saw your later post. By yourself opens up your options. Neptune, Ocean Township, Red Bank. Tinton Falls has a lot of condos right off RT 18, so renting in that area may be good.

Jersey is expensive and often a PITA, but no worse then California.

www.NJFBOA.org always welcomes a new member!

It isn’t as a govt installation. Closed many years ago. My dad was an electrical engineer there for many, many years. They did much of the early development of laser rangefinders there.

i was at camp evans yrs ago. i walked up to this building and i saw guys with white suits and metal detectors and im thinking WTF am i doing here.

last i heard the closing of ft. mon. is being reevaluated but its stilll sched. to close by 2012 as far as im aware .
Old 11-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Your not kidding, last tax season (im an accountant) i came across the California mental health millionaire tax. if your net income was higher then one million dollars they charge you a mental health tax.

good luck with your new job and move. plenty of great shops in the area if you need work done
Old 11-16-2007, 08:57 PM
Teching In

At least I finally get to live where there is a decent track near by. Cali has closed most of it. Thanks for all the info fellas. Once I get my Trans Am out here, I'll be looking forward to meeting some of you folks.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
i was at camp evans yrs ago. i walked up to this building and i saw guys with white suits and metal detectors and im thinking WTF am i doing here.
You don't even want to know what used to be in that place.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:51 AM
On The Tree

anybody who says those stupid arm pit of the country dirty jersey lines usually have never even been there. i've tried to leave twice but just kept on moving back. despite high taxes and living expenses you usually make more money there so it evens out. its the only place i know of where u can live in a quite mountain town with amazing hiking trails and be in a place like new york city 45 mins later and the best beaches in the country are only a short hour and a half drive. it has all the seasons. it has everything. including the few dirty poor cities surrounding nyc. but every state has at least a couple of those and even places like paterson aren't that bad. most houses still have lawns there. nj = best place to live
Old 11-18-2007, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by brundz
anybody who says those stupid arm pit of the country dirty jersey lines usually have never even been there. i've tried to leave twice but just kept on moving back. despite high taxes and living expenses you usually make more money there so it evens out. its the only place i know of where u can live in a quite mountain town with amazing hiking trails and be in a place like new york city 45 mins later and the best beaches in the country are only a short hour and a half drive. it has all the seasons. it has everything. including the few dirty poor cities surrounding nyc. but every state has at least a couple of those and even places like paterson aren't that bad. most houses still have lawns there. nj = best place to live
It may not be the "best" place to live, but it certainly does NOT deserve all of the **** heaped upon (sometimes quite literally in the case of N.Y.C.) it by everyone else in the country. Hell, even A.T.H.F., Futurama, and Family Guy get in on the bashing.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

haha nope i'm going to call it the best just because it gets all that bashing. people bash what their envious of to make themselves feel better about themselves...envious of my beloved new jersey air.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
speaking of inspection.........NJSPDER.....what happened at SEMA? any info on the collector registration??
SAN is persuing the issue on their end. currently it doesn't appear that anyone at DMV actually knows these rules exist, so they are still processing cars the old way.