Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Corvette C6 destroyed by VA tuner!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smoke20
for all the shop owners taking sides with this creech creep. if the insurance would have payed 40k for the car , couldnt creech have come up with 15k out of pocket to save face and keep the customer happy. as a shop owner your looking out for your lively hood. would the cost of 15-20k be worth keeping your good name and business out of the forums? you all act like she should have taken the shaft of 20k just because some grease monkey had an accident in the car. regardless of why he was driving the car , the shop had possession of the vehicle and an employee totaled the car. put yourself in the shoes of the person owning the car. we give our vehicles that most of us have spent thousands to buy and modify, we are your CUSTOMERS. i would seriously reconsider using any shop that posted in here that they back creech and CAM.
We are personally not backing anyone in this matter. I would never take a customer's car on joy rides, we hate even driving them in the street around here just to feel them since it's so crowded around here. Never had one insurance claim here, and never want one.

I couldn't comment on what I would do if a car was joy ridden here, why, because my guys (aka "some grease monkeys") know better and respect what we build.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TTPMatt
We don't know nor will we ever know all of the details in it's full 100% truth.
Can't agree with you more.

But I ask myself who stands to gain more by not telling the truth.?
Old 01-28-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We are personally not backing anyone in this matter. I would never take a customer's car on joy rides, we hate even driving them in the street around here just to feel them since it's so crowded around here. Never had one insurance claim here, and never want one.

I couldn't comment on what I would do if a car was joy ridden here, why, because my guys (aka "some grease monkeys") know better and respect what we build.

i know your guys are good and most people would never have put themselves in the position CAM did. its just frustrating as a customer to watch other shops defend just because "the cost to the shop". im sorry for the derogatory statement about the mechanics that work on cars. i should not have grouped all technicians with this guy.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I couldnt agree more with matt... I am in no way sticking up for CAM... I have no idea who they even are...it was just the way some people were saying he should just pay him 65k dollars like it was 20 bucks is what i was defending... the shop should make the customer 100% happy after something like that b/c more than likely if that happens the customer will give them more money in the future.

i know your guys are good and most people would never have put themselves in the position CAM did. its just frustrating as a customer to watch other shops defend just because "the cost to the shop". im sorry for the derogatory statement about the mechanics that work on cars. i should not have grouped all technicians with this guy.
To be honest i dont think any other shop in this thread was actually "defending" CAM.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

offer sounds pretty unacceptable to me. I personally wouldn't want his shop to touch another thing of mine. For it to be "made right" to me. It would have to be a replacement car of equal value with the same parts purchased for it and installed by a shop of my choice. then after kissing my *** for the next few months i would try to forgive him. I have personally dealt with jeff. He use to be a good guy years ago. But he has changed over the last few years and I have already written him off after my last tune with him. Which for everyone that thinks this is a one time deal. last time I was at his shop he took a friend of mine father for a ride in a customers new Z06. I think his statement after getting back was something like "we were going 130 and he was driving like a madman". So people think what you want. But I decided over a year ago to not take my car back to him.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

Accidents happen but when things like this happen it is no excuss for it. NOW if an accident happened by a shop and they put in writting to do everything that they could to make it right then so be it, it would be crappy but wouldnt be so bad if they where going to make it right.

But a POSSIBLE reason he hasnt said anything or done anything is for legal reasons..

REMEMBER FORCE FED Performance right, and how they did a lot of people and how they took the time to take everything out of the guys names so they couldnt get suied and loose personal property. NOT SAYING JEFF is doing that.

Dude sorry about ur Vette hopefully you will get it all straightened out and you can get an even newer Vette and tons of goodies.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

for all the shop owners taking sides with this creech creep. if the insurance would have payed 40k for the car , couldnt creech have come up with 15k out of pocket to save face and keep the customer happy. as a shop owner your looking out for your lively hood. would the cost of 15-20k be worth keeping your good name and business out of the forums? you all act like she should have taken the shaft of 20k just because some grease monkey had an accident in the car. regardless of why he was driving the car , the shop had possession of the vehicle and an employee totaled the car. put yourself in the shoes of the person owning the car. we give our vehicles that most of us have spent thousands to buy and modify, we are your CUSTOMERS. i would seriously reconsider using any shop that posted in here that they back creech and CAM.

Well,first off if this happened to us the car would of been taken care off quickly.The customer would pay nothing and we would make sure it was right.

Now,is it worth 15-$20k out of my own pocket to keep a good bussiness name?? No. IF this happened to me,I would make it right but if I had to pay for it out of my own pocket I would close after because the pay back would take way too long and I'd probly lose my house.Thats reality.

The sad truth is that most customers think if they spend thousands on parts threw us we get rich.We make penny's of this stuff because of all the low balling that goes on.This is the main reason I work a night job.You don't get rich working on these cars,****,I don't even make enough to support my household.

Back on topic -the whole story seams fishy.I would of exspected the shop insurance or person driving-insurance to cover the car.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:54 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's the facts, we don't know much of them at this point. Everyone keeps spouting about 30 miles from the shop, weekend joy ride, before business hours etc etc and we haven't seen a police report yet of the accident.

For all we know, the owner could have been told that there was a drivability issue and that the car was going to be driven back and forth from one of the technicians homes daily to sort it out (and I'm offended by the grease monkey comment, what do you do that makes you so great).

If the business was run without insurance, shame on the business owner, and also on the customer for not making sure before hand. If I leave my car some where over night to get work, I make 100% certain the company is insured.

It seems like the car owner was offered something, but decided it wasn't good enough. Rather than negotiate, she decided just to walk away which is her choice, but selling the business down the river over it isn't right either.

Again, we are all just speculating because we don't know the 100% truth and facts of the case.

What we all should take away from this is if you have aftermarket parts on your car, look into including them on your insurance. Also, before leaving a car somewhere for work, ask the tough questions like if they have insurance, will they be driving the car off the property etc. If you don't like the answers, look elsewhere or learn to do the work yourself.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is absolutley no excuse for what happened to this person's car. PERIOD. It does stink that the owner needs to pay (i would expect his insurance would cover it) but apparently not. Pay up take responsibility... i would be bullshit if i was the owner of the car. and i would be bullshit at all of you who defend the shop and owner and technition who did this.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just to clarify, I am not defending this shop or his employees. They made a huge error in judgment, YES. But in this circumstance, I would expect the shop to do everything necessary to make it right. I would also tell them to never drive my car again. that being said, what is unreasonable about re-using all the usable parts off the wrecked car?? The shop offered to swap for free and buy anything necessary to replace damaged items. Not only that, I would be thinking about some sort of extras that the shop could do for me to make up for my inconvenience. Under the circumstance, I am sure they would be happy to do extra stuff.

Also, it was never clear why the employee had the car. Do we know for sure that it wasnt discussed when dropped off, that someone would be driving the car to work out driveability issues? Way too many unknowns and he said she said **** going on here.

Also, why does it take nearly 3 weeks to do a cam? I dont think I would leave my car that long for a relatively minor job. If they are backed up with work, I would have brought it in when they were ready for it.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not going to comment on the the accident it self, but instead on the solution. The customer should, and looks like they did report this to their insurance company. The customers ins co would then go after the shop for the cost of the car and any perm installed items. The shops ins would pay out up to their max limit. Any difference/ shortfall the customer's ins co would go after the shop itself. If the shop was stupid enough not to carry enough ins then they deserve to lose assets. Just think what the cost would be if he hit someone elses high end car?
The second part is any criminal action, most likley the customer's ins co will press charges on the responsible parties.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:16 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mnypitZ

Also, why does it take nearly 3 weeks to do a cam? I dont think I would leave my car that long for a relatively minor job. If they are backed up with work, I would have brought it in when they were ready for it.

This is the way that shop works though. Every lift has a car on it and a couple more sitting outside. The kicker is that there is only two people turning wrenches(Atleast the last time I was there). A severe work load and few people to do it ultimately end in long wait times and sub-par work. I went there on advise from a "friend" and was not impressed with the work performed at all. Many things had to be repaired or improved after pick-up of the vehicle. One of which was incorrect pushrod length.. Jeff "attempted" to make things right by sending me the CORRECT length pushrods then he was BOLD enough to ask me to send him the INCORRECT ones back so he would not have to replenish his supply. I laughed....so this story does not suprise me at all. It was only a matter of time before an incident like this would have happened. It is a shame that FAIR terms couldn't have been met before this exploded on the internet.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Here's the facts, we don't know much of them at this point. Everyone keeps spouting about 30 miles from the shop, weekend joy ride, before business hours etc etc and we haven't seen a police report yet of the accident.

For all we know, the owner could have been told that there was a drivability issue and that the car was going to be driven back and forth from one of the technicians homes daily to sort it out (and I'm offended by the grease monkey comment, what do you do that makes you so great).

If the business was run without insurance, shame on the business owner, and also on the customer for not making sure before hand. If I leave my car some where over night to get work, I make 100% certain the company is insured.

It seems like the car owner was offered something, but decided it wasn't good enough. Rather than negotiate, she decided just to walk away which is her choice, but selling the business down the river over it isn't right either.

Again, we are all just speculating because we don't know the 100% truth and facts of the case.

What we all should take away from this is if you have aftermarket parts on your car, look into including them on your insurance. Also, before leaving a car somewhere for work, ask the tough questions like if they have insurance, will they be driving the car off the property etc. If you don't like the answers, look elsewhere or learn to do the work yourself.
Great post. I highlighted the most relevant portion.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:33 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Great post. I highlighted the most relevant portion.
No we don't know 100% of anything but the shop is negligent.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

this is completely unacceptable and the fact that this guy has triedtoshirk the responsibility of what his employee did makes it worse. being in b2b sales for 8 years and understading the liability and responsibilty that a firm has to its customer i say that this guy needs ot be prosecuted to the fullest extent of both civil and criminal law, civil the client needs to be compensated for the loss of vehicle, mods, ie permanantely placeditems, and time lost, criminally what moreneeds to be said about 2 head marks 7am child to school police report and ticket come on the driver and this guy jeff need to be tossed in jail cuz what if it was your car what if you were on the road when this moron was driving and something happend to you or your family bc they were joyriding with a 75k machine? i barely drive my friendsrides cuz i would feel awful if something happened...bottom line seize his asstes close his biz and put him injail before he or one of his employees do more damage or worse elsewhere.....
Old 01-29-2008, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ramairjohn2000
this is completely unacceptable and the fact that this guy has triedtoshirk the responsibility of what his employee did makes it worse. being in b2b sales for 8 years and understading the liability and responsibilty that a firm has to its customer i say that this guy needs ot be prosecuted to the fullest extent of both civil and criminal law, civil the client needs to be compensated for the loss of vehicle, mods, ie permanantely placeditems, and time lost, criminally what moreneeds to be said about 2 head marks 7am child to school police report and ticket come on the driver and this guy jeff need to be tossed in jail cuz what if it was your car what if you were on the road when this moron was driving and something happend to you or your family bc they were joyriding with a 75k machine? i barely drive my friendsrides cuz i would feel awful if something happened...bottom line seize his asstes close his biz and put him injail before he or one of his employees do more damage or worse elsewhere.....
Jail time for the shop owner? C'mon, be real - this type of **** happens more often than you think. That's why they have insurance. For throwing Jeff in the slammer, you need to prove that Jeff was driving (he clearly wasn't) and prove that there was criminal intent (did the employee steal the car?) and as far as I know, nobody on here can.

Yes it sucks for everyone involved, and it sounds like there was an effort to reconcile - but as stated many time before, nobdy on here knows what really went down or what was discussed/understood between the parties. **** happens and you need to be accountable to the extent of the liability incurred - nothing more, nothing less.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KONG
No we don't know 100% of anything but the shop is negligent.
The employee of the shop was certainly negligent. That doesn't make the shop or the owner of the shop criminally negligent by default. However, the shop is still responsible for making amends.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Teching In

This is interesting. Copied and pasted from another forum:

wow someone just posted this up on the corvette forums.. Very interesting...

I'm not a guy who ever says "Sue, sue!"

Usually, that is all about drama, but in this instance my advice to you, if what you said is factual, is sue to get satisfaction.

Info you hopefully already have is that the business called:

"Carolina Auto Masters" ceased to exist back in 2003, as far as the state of North Carolina's corporations records are concerned. It looks like you will be dealing with "Creech Computer Tuning, Inc."

Carolina Auto Masters Inc
919-680-DYNO (3966)
113 S. Elizabeth St.
Durham, NC 27701
Name: Carolina Auto Masters
Phone: (919) 680-3966
Address: 113 S. Elizabeth St.
Durham, NC 27701

Name Carolina Auto Masters, Inc.
SOSID: 0630652
Date Formed: 5/9/2002
State of Inc.: NC

Registered Agent
Agent Name: Ellis, Michael C.
Registered Office Address:113 South Elizabeth Street
Durham NC 27701

File Open Date: August 2007
TOB Classification: Auto Repair & Service
BBB Accreditation: This organization is not a BBB Accredited business.
The BBB has requested basic information from this company but has not received a response. As a result, the BBB may not have current information about the company.

Business License - New License Summary Report
From Date:5/1/2007
To Date: 5/31/2007
DBA Business Name
Creech Computer Tuning, Inc.
113 S. Elizabeth Street
Durham NC 27701

Corporation Names

Name Name Type
Legal NC Corporate Name Creech Computer Tuning, Inc.
SOSID: 0687585

Date Formed: 8/19/2003
State of Inc.: NC

Registered Agent
Agent Name: Higgins, Thomas D., III
Registered Office Address: 870 Airport Road
Chapel Hill NC 27514
Registered Mailing Address: 870 Airport Road
Chapel Hill NC 2751

Shared address?
Higher Standard Automotive
113 S Elizabeth St
DurhamNC
(919)956-9933
Dissolved 6/22/2004

Let's hypothetically say your story is the whole story, and a guy has some assets maybe like those listed below. A guy like that, I would make sure he either makes me whole, or that he gives up a lot if he wants to avoid making it right.

House
$202,545.00 assessed (surrounding homes Zillow ~275k)

2002 CHEV
$25,790.00

1995 PONT
$4,840.00

1996 CHEV
$4,120.00

1994 CHEV
$3,660.00

1995 JEEP
$2,800.00

GM Computer Tuning

Jeff Creech, the tuner for Carolina Auto Masters has tuned over 1200 GM cars and trucks, not only at the shop in Durham, NC but as a guest tuner in cities across the country, including: LA area California, Frederick Maryland, Dallas Texas, Chesapeake Virginia, even Puerto Rico! Ask around on www.camaroz28.com, www.ls1tech.com, www.corvetteforum.com, www.ls2gto.com, www.z06vette.com, etc. You'll find happy customers everywhere you look.

All dyno tuning is done flat rate, no matter how long it takes, other shops charge extra for dyno time, or only include 1 hour. Also, the initial fee includes free off-dyno updates as long as you own the car. You can move from one tuning package to another for the price difference, you don't have to pay it all over again, so there's no need to wait until you get that cam installed to take advantage of tuning. Start with a mini-tune now, and move up when you do more modifications, all for less than the price of a handheld tuner. And there's no extra stuff to buy, no software licenses, no handheld tuner, no hidden costs.

Mini-Tune (off-dyno or mail order): $250
Mini-Tune (with dyno assist): $300
Standard Tune: $400
Maximum (or Wild) Tune: $500

Wow.
That looks to be about a half a million bucks gross in his nearly zero overhead tuning activity alone, leaving aside any other shop work done...
[Today 09:53 PM] 99BlackSS: rrraaawwwggg
[Today 09:52 PM] Dragline: ^ Loves the ****
Old 01-29-2008, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

Jeff is a stand up guy and from all I've read, he's trying to make everything right for the owner of the car, who , it seems, wants nothing short of taking everything he has and ruining his business. It's a car, it's replacable. It was in an accident that should not have happened, but thats what accidents are:things that should not happen. Any insurance co. would only fix whats damaged and replace with aftermarket or used parts reguardless of the vehicle in the accident, so don't fool yourself into thinking that because it's a vette, it's more important than any other car.Jeff did not first hand wreck the car, nor can he control all aspects of his employees, nor can any other shop anywhere.The same accident could've happened whether the owner or anyone else was driving, but yes, I know, it didn't, it was by a shop employee and yes, it was his neglegence and short sightedness, but ultimately it's the business's place to make it right, and, like I said, from all I've seen, Jeff has made a very honest attempt on making things right, it's just not good enough for the owner of the car until they either run Jeff out of business , sue, or take him for all he has. No one here has the right to list Jeff's or anyone else's assets. All it shows is the intent to take them . Ruining this man and his business is a selfish,immature way to handle this situation. In the time I've known Jeff, he's been a stand up guy, very helpful and straight forward with everything.He's been there for me and my car over weekends,nights,and through many emails and phone calls.In the time I've spent around his shop, popping in for visits and being there while other customer's cars are being tuned and repaired, there has NEVER been anything like what the OP states going on, nor has my car ever gotten so much as an extra scratch or ding on it while there, even for extended periods of time. I consented to allow Jeff to take my car for road tuning and he even garaged it at his place overnight before driving back to the shop the next day. No extra miles were added, no damages,no anything but great quality work and the best tuning I've ever experienced . If the owner of the car is trying to sue or ruin Jeff for an accident he didn't even directly cause, nor was he behind the wheel during, then maybe they should learn a little something about the law as well. There seems to be something sligtly wrong by going all over the internet, slandering and slamming a man and his business due to one,ONE ISOLATED incident. Before this issue, I had never read or found any info of any issues any former customers ever had with Jeff or CAM. Also , for all we know, maybe the car in topic had issues with it's AH?TC system due to modifications and wiring done before it was left at Jeff's. If this accident was done with forethought and mallace, I'd say go for retribution, but from all the real info out there about this issue, it was simply an ACCIDENT...nothing more, and just because it was a vette it doesn't mean it's special in the eyes of the law or insurance companies. Accidents happen everyday and all you shop owners who are calling foul at Jeff may want to consider, it may be YOU next that a vindictive customer comes after is you make a mistake or have an accident...no matter how much you try and make it right.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Evilways
Jeff is a stand up guy and from all I've read, he's trying to make everything right for the owner of the car, who , it seems, wants nothing short of taking everything he has and ruining his business. It's a car, it's replacable. It was in an accident that should not have happened, but thats what accidents are:things that should not happen. Any insurance co. would only fix whats damaged and replace with aftermarket or used parts reguardless of the vehicle in the accident, so don't fool yourself into thinking that because it's a vette, it's more important than any other car.Jeff did not first hand wreck the car, nor can he control all aspects of his employees, nor can any other shop anywhere.The same accident could've happened whether the owner or anyone else was driving, but yes, I know, it didn't, it was by a shop employee and yes, it was his neglegence and short sightedness, but ultimately it's the business's place to make it right, and, like I said, from all I've seen, Jeff has made a very honest attempt on making things right, it's just not good enough for the owner of the car until they either run Jeff out of business , sue, or take him for all he has. No one here has the right to list Jeff's or anyone else's assets. All it shows is the intent to take them . Ruining this man and his business is a selfish,immature way to handle this situation. In the time I've known Jeff, he's been a stand up guy, very helpful and straight forward with everything.He's been there for me and my car over weekends,nights,and through many emails and phone calls.In the time I've spent around his shop, popping in for visits and being there while other customer's cars are being tuned and repaired, there has NEVER been anything like what the OP states going on, nor has my car ever gotten so much as an extra scratch or ding on it while there, even for extended periods of time. I consented to allow Jeff to take my car for road tuning and he even garaged it at his place overnight before driving back to the shop the next day. No extra miles were added, no damages,no anything but great quality work and the best tuning I've ever experienced . If the owner of the car is trying to sue or ruin Jeff for an accident he didn't even directly cause, nor was he behind the wheel during, then maybe they should learn a little something about the law as well. There seems to be something sligtly wrong by going all over the internet, slandering and slamming a man and his business due to one,ONE ISOLATED incident. Before this issue, I had never read or found any info of any issues any former customers ever had with Jeff or CAM. Also , for all we know, maybe the car in topic had issues with it's AH?TC system due to modifications and wiring done before it was left at Jeff's. If this accident was done with forethought and mallace, I'd say go for retribution, but from all the real info out there about this issue, it was simply an ACCIDENT...nothing more, and just because it was a vette it doesn't mean it's special in the eyes of the law or insurance companies. Accidents happen everyday and all you shop owners who are calling foul at Jeff may want to consider, it may be YOU next that a vindictive customer comes after is you make a mistake or have an accident...no matter how much you try and make it right.
It's one thing to ruin your car yourself and have the insurance company only pay you for aftermarket parts to repair your car. It’s another when someone drives it you didn't give permission to do so and goes out and ruins it on you. Then you’re stuck paying your car payment on a car that has been wrecked that you had no control over, really who would settle for that? Does anyone here want to make a full payment on a car that belongs in a junk yard? I mean look at that thing it’s a mess, it will NEVER be the same I don't care who fixes it. I agree that people should not be posting personal info on message boards or attacking what seems to have been a pretty decent place of business before hand. BUT don't forget someone here has to be at fault and has to pay. Whether it is the Owner of the shop or the employee that ruined a perfect car or some combination of the two. The only solution I see making this right is to get the payout from the insurance buy a Corvette of equal value to what she had, and install all the aftermarket equipment free of charge. Yes money may have to come out of pocket but that is the only way to “make it right”.

Quick Reply: Corvette C6 destroyed by VA tuner!