Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Corvette C6 destroyed by VA tuner!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteGal
This is interesting. Copied and pasted from another forum:

wow someone just posted this up on the corvette forums.. Very interesting...

I'm not a guy who ever says "Sue, sue!"

Usually, that is all about drama, but in this instance my advice to you, if what you said is factual, is sue to get satisfaction.

Info you hopefully already have is that the business called:

"Carolina Auto Masters" ceased to exist back in 2003, as far as the state of North Carolina's corporations records are concerned. It looks like you will be dealing with "Creech Computer Tuning, Inc."

Carolina Auto Masters Inc
919-680-DYNO (3966)
113 S. Elizabeth St.
Durham, NC 27701
Name: Carolina Auto Masters
Phone: (919) 680-3966
Address: 113 S. Elizabeth St.
Durham, NC 27701

Name Carolina Auto Masters, Inc.
SOSID: 0630652
Date Formed: 5/9/2002
State of Inc.: NC

Registered Agent
Agent Name: Ellis, Michael C.
Registered Office Address:113 South Elizabeth Street
Durham NC 27701

File Open Date: August 2007
TOB Classification: Auto Repair & Service
BBB Accreditation: This organization is not a BBB Accredited business.
The BBB has requested basic information from this company but has not received a response. As a result, the BBB may not have current information about the company.

Business License - New License Summary Report
From Date:5/1/2007
To Date: 5/31/2007
DBA Business Name
Creech Computer Tuning, Inc.
113 S. Elizabeth Street
Durham NC 27701

Corporation Names

Name Name Type
Legal NC Corporate Name Creech Computer Tuning, Inc.
SOSID: 0687585

Date Formed: 8/19/2003
State of Inc.: NC

Registered Agent
Agent Name: Higgins, Thomas D., III
Registered Office Address: 870 Airport Road
Chapel Hill NC 27514
Registered Mailing Address: 870 Airport Road
Chapel Hill NC 2751

Shared address?
Higher Standard Automotive
113 S Elizabeth St
DurhamNC
(919)956-9933
Dissolved 6/22/2004

Let's hypothetically say your story is the whole story, and a guy has some assets maybe like those listed below. A guy like that, I would make sure he either makes me whole, or that he gives up a lot if he wants to avoid making it right.

House
$202,545.00 assessed (surrounding homes Zillow ~275k)

2002 CHEV
$25,790.00

1995 PONT
$4,840.00

1996 CHEV
$4,120.00

1994 CHEV
$3,660.00

1995 JEEP
$2,800.00

GM Computer Tuning

Jeff Creech, the tuner for Carolina Auto Masters has tuned over 1200 GM cars and trucks, not only at the shop in Durham, NC but as a guest tuner in cities across the country, including: LA area California, Frederick Maryland, Dallas Texas, Chesapeake Virginia, even Puerto Rico! Ask around on www.camaroz28.com, www.ls1tech.com, www.corvetteforum.com, www.ls2gto.com, www.z06vette.com, etc. You'll find happy customers everywhere you look.

All dyno tuning is done flat rate, no matter how long it takes, other shops charge extra for dyno time, or only include 1 hour. Also, the initial fee includes free off-dyno updates as long as you own the car. You can move from one tuning package to another for the price difference, you don't have to pay it all over again, so there's no need to wait until you get that cam installed to take advantage of tuning. Start with a mini-tune now, and move up when you do more modifications, all for less than the price of a handheld tuner. And there's no extra stuff to buy, no software licenses, no handheld tuner, no hidden costs.

Mini-Tune (off-dyno or mail order): $250
Mini-Tune (with dyno assist): $300
Standard Tune: $400
Maximum (or Wild) Tune: $500

Wow.
That looks to be about a half a million bucks gross in his nearly zero overhead tuning activity alone, leaving aside any other shop work done...
[Today 09:53 PM] 99BlackSS: rrraaawwwggg
[Today 09:52 PM] Dragline: ^ Loves the ****
You certianly don`t have a dog in this fight...

18 posts since 2006, 17 either bashing Jeff`s shop or trying to figure out what is wrong w/ your car`s tune...

Again I can only go from experience and my vette tune was spot on, and my TA was tuned by him many times after several different combo`s. I know some have had a bad experience w/ him. Some people have service work done at their dealer. Not everybody leaves a happy customer from their dealer.

Regardless of that, Insurance pays the market value of the vehicle at the time of the loss w/ all listed improvents or modifications. If she wasn`t happy w/ that then have the insurance allow Jeff to remove the mods, put the stock parts back on, settle w/ ins co for stock retail market value, then have Jeff install for free the old performance parts and replace the damaged performance parts on the replacement vehicle. It seems he tried to do that.

Regardlesss I`m not condoning the bad judgement used on the decision to allow a mechanic to take the car for personal use "if" that is in fact what he did. Which we honestly don`t know for fact at this point.

And here`s your one nice post about Jeff, its too old to quote but easy to find if you look:

Posted by VetteGal in 2006:

I have an '06 mn6 Vette that Jeff has tuned as well as installed a number of mods. He is very good at what he does. You will really like him and can trust him completely. There is a little issue with the '06 pcm and he has bent over backwards to help me out. The Pinks car he built is a monster to say the least so you should check that out when you can.

Last edited by LS2/LS3; 01-29-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by R1urDone
It's one thing to ruin your car yourself and have the insurance company only pay you for aftermarket parts to repair your car. It’s another when someone drives it you didn't give permission to do so and goes out and ruins it on you. Then you’re stuck paying your car payment on a car that has been wrecked that you had no control over, really who would settle for that? Does anyone here want to make a full payment on a car that belongs in a junk yard? I mean look at that thing it’s a mess, it will NEVER be the same I don't care who fixes it. I agree that people should not be posting personal info on message boards or attacking what seems to have been a pretty decent place of business before hand. BUT don't forget someone here has to be at fault and has to pay. Whether it is the Owner of the shop or the employee that ruined a perfect car or some combination of the two. The only solution I see making this right is to get the payout from the insurance buy a Corvette of equal value to what she had, and install all the aftermarket equipment free of charge. Yes money may have to come out of pocket but that is the only way to “make it right”.

I belive that was what was offered, but the owner only wants all new parts, mods, etc, not using any mod that is fine from the original car, and the owner wants another shop to do the work, after praising Jeff's tunes and his shop's work previously.Jeff has offered what I feel is very fair and then some. There won't be any car payments that wasn't there previous to the accident. What this owner wants is an all new car, all new mods, and all work for free.A little too much, even if the fault was not the owner's. And, fwiw, dealerships treat your car with much more disrespect than any tuner shops I have ever been in or around.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's my Jeff Creech CAM experience... I posted this on our local car forum www.vadriven.com/forums.

Originally Posted by Frost
Jeff told them they didn't run right because they picked bad/junk parts and that there were other mechanical problems... funny that they tuned and ran like all the rest once hooked up and worked with the laptop.

Travis, Ed H. is a good tuner and a good guy; can't go wrong there.
I was in the exact same boat... I defended Creech after he did my bolt-ons tune in early '06. All the guys at HPJunkies and LXative tried to warn me, but I figured they were just haters. Plus, Creech had a great rep w/ lots of the local vette guys, many who have stout cars.

Well early this year lets just say his effort to tune my cam'd car was half-assed. I was told that my cam choice was poor, it would never make torque, the internet numbers were hype and lies from LG, and that I'd have to drill my TB to make it hot start and idle/drive properly.

2 Days with Ed Hutchings at Automotive Technology Inc. here in Chesaepake and my car make more power, more torque, and drives about as close to stock as you could hope for with a large cam.

I'm one of those who will never go back.... sorry... I was treated poorly and my intelligence was insulted.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sad part, there was a women driving a blown C6 before this all started. That sounds to good to be true and it was her car.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mikep2002
Sad part, there was a women driving a blown C6 before this all started. That sounds to good to be true and it was her car.
****. I just think its cool that a "chick" drives a blown C6. Now if I could just get my wife put a procharger on her Honda CR-V
Old 01-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS2/LS3
You certianly don`t have a dog in this fight...

18 posts since 2006, 17 either bashing Jeff`s shop or trying to figure out what is wrong w/ your car`s tune...

Again I can only go from experience and my vette tune was spot on, and my TA was tuned by him many times after several different combo`s. I know some have had a bad experience w/ him. Some people have service work done at their dealer. Not everybody leaves a happy customer from their dealer.

Regardless of that, Insurance pays the market value of the vehicle at the time of the loss w/ all listed improvents or modifications. If she wasn`t happy w/ that then have the insurance allow Jeff to remove the mods, put the stock parts back on, settle w/ ins co for stock retail market value, then have Jeff install for free the old performance parts and replace the damaged performance parts on the replacement vehicle. It seems he tried to do that.

Regardlesss I`m not condoning the bad judgement used on the decision to allow a mechanic to take the car for personal use "if" that is in fact what he did. Which we honestly don`t know for fact at this point.

And here`s your one nice post about Jeff, its too old to quote but easy to find if you look:

Posted by VetteGal in 2006:

I have an '06 mn6 Vette that Jeff has tuned as well as installed a number of mods. He is very good at what he does. You will really like him and can trust him completely. There is a little issue with the '06 pcm and he has bent over backwards to help me out. The Pinks car he built is a monster to say the least so you should check that out when you can.

That is a very true quote of mine back before I learned the truth about my "tune." My problem was not a GM ecm issue as Jeff tried to make me believe but a Jeff Creech issue. When my car was at the point of not be driveable, I was given someone else's name and took it to him. He showed my the graph and the settings that Jeff had put in my ecm. I was stunned and furious to say the least. I DID NOT go on the forums and say anything but have learned alot from others who have shown up at the same shop for the same idle issues. Jeff really sold me that it was a GM issue and I believed him but have since learned the truth. There are those that have had good experiences with him and that's great but I was not one of them. He nearly ruined my car. I must have made 15 trips to his shop [180 miles round trip] for nothing. If you trust him that's great but I feel differently. There may be more to the present situation with this girl than meets the eye. That's just my opinion from my experience with him.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont like commenting on situations like this, but personally if this happened to my own vehicle i would want to take it to a different shop as well. if they took a joy ride in your vehicle, smashed it up and you had previous problems. would you not want to go somewhere else? i can kinda agree on goin somewhere else, but i would have takin the 40k + all replacement mods and come help with a diff shop putting them in. i cant say he is made of money, but im sure he could atleast front some of the bill for a different shop to do it as he said it is his "nightmare".
Old 01-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Here's my Jeff Creech CAM experience... I posted this on our local car forum www.vadriven.com/forums.

I was in the exact same boat... I defended Creech after he did my bolt-ons tune in early '06. All the guys at HPJunkies and LXative tried to warn me, but I figured they were just haters. Plus, Creech had a great rep w/ lots of the local vette guys, many who have stout cars.

Well early this year lets just say his effort to tune my cam'd car was half-assed. I was told that my cam choice was poor, it would never make torque, the internet numbers were hype and lies from LG, and that I'd have to drill my TB to make it hot start and idle/drive properly.

2 Days with Ed Hutchings at Automotive Technology Inc. here in Chesaepake and my car make more power, more torque, and drives about as close to stock as you could hope for with a large cam.

I'm one of those who will never go back.... sorry... I was treated poorly and my intelligence was insulted.

This was my experience almost exactly. He drilled a hole in my tb as well and had to buy me a new one. It WOULD NOT idle. He kept it for a period of 3 weeks "trying to figure it out" and it was horrible when I picked it up. Fortunately, I was lead to another person and after setting my ecm back to stock settings, which took 15 minutes, the car would at least idle. I took it back after that and got a real tune and I have been very happy since.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Launching!

ask him for the full purchase price of the car (when new)
OR
the price of your car before the accident, and the cost of any mod youve done to it, plus labor you have documentation for, AND the cost of whatever provisions this forced you to take (i/e rental, psychiatrist etc.)
whichever is greater.

and the install for the parts at another shop
that seems fair to me. if hes unwilling to go that far, then worry about suing

Last edited by kail; 01-29-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have a problem with the fact that he wanted to have her drop the car off at the shop again and have his guys do all the work. why the **** would anyone trust a shop with a second car after they ****ed the first one up so bad?

i think that CAM should be buying a new car and paying to have all the upgrades transfered if they weren't damaged or buy new ones to install any upgrade that was wrecked. all of the work should be done at another, more reputable, shop of the owners choosing.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Launching!

agreed
Old 01-29-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think that would be a bargain for CAM considering what they can be sued for. damages in most states can be rewarded 2 or 3 times of actual, plus a value for any related time involved, plus court costs, plus lawyer expenses and fees, plus the magic 'pain and suffering' bullet that always nails them to the wall.

figure settling out for actually making things right in a reasonable and neutral manner would save tens of thousands of dollars.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 4get gto
He probably had a good time with it before he gave it back to you though...............
Nope, I was there during the entire tuning process.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

"Even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while."
Old 01-29-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think Jeff's offer to fix the situation is reasonable, as long as it's done with proper documentation and not under the table. I think she was right about reporting it to her insurance company, but I probably would have urged the ins company to accept his offer. As far as tuning goes, Jeff does good work, but after that I'd be watching him carefully as he built my new car.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by VetteGal
This was my experience almost exactly. He drilled a hole in my tb as well and had to buy me a new one. It WOULD NOT idle. He kept it for a period of 3 weeks "trying to figure it out" and it was horrible when I picked it up. Fortunately, I was lead to another person and after setting my ecm back to stock settings, which took 15 minutes, the car would at least idle. I took it back after that and got a real tune and I have been very happy since.

this is funny, becouse there were 3 of us in SC @ different times taken our cars to Cam for tunes and have idle problems. Evertime it was always the TB's fault. 1 was a fast, 1 a ported stock, and 1 a Stock Tb. he also blamed my autolite plugs and my taylor plug wires also. I use to Praise Jeff for his work years ago,especially with our LT1 stuff. But like I said earlier. I wrote him off over a year ago with my last mishap with him. For the evilways guy that said this is a isolated incident, you need to go back and read my last post.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NJSPDER
i think that would be a bargain for CAM considering what they can be sued for. damages in most states can be rewarded 2 or 3 times of actual, plus a value for any related time involved, plus court costs, plus lawyer expenses and fees, plus the magic 'pain and suffering' bullet that always nails them to the wall.
2 to 3 times the actual, plus pain and suffering for property damages? where did you go to law school?
Old 01-29-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just saw said 05 C6 on the Insurance Auto Auction website. Still has all mods still attached. Would make a great parts car. But may be too nice of a car to cut up, I think I would have to put it back together if I were to buy it. What a shame.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:05 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS#1531
I think Jeff's offer to fix the situation is reasonable, as long as it's done with proper documentation and not under the table. I think she was right about reporting it to her insurance company, but I probably would have urged the ins company to accept his offer. As far as tuning goes, Jeff does good work, but after that I'd be watching him carefully as he built my new car.
Your ouut of your mind!!! How could you possibly leave car with these people. Replace the car and have another shop mod it!!!! Dont let these assclowns touch the car.... I could give to ***** about somebody`s best behavior crap...
Old 01-30-2008, 07:00 AM
10 Second Club

I would have been out of mind if this happened to me. I put a lot of time and energy into my cars and to get the call that it was wrecked would have been horrible.

I think jeffs offer is a little out of reach, but Don't see why they could not have reused some of the parts that were on the car. What was damaged or unusable CAM should replace. I also agree that my car would not have went back to them. Its going to be there a while to get all mods back on, and its a trust issue.

Also,, does the girls insurance go up because of the claim?

one incident may have put CAM out of business.

Quick Reply: Corvette C6 destroyed by VA tuner!