Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Retarded laws...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retarded laws...

So yesterday morning, I'm on I-95, on my way to church none-the-less, and I get pulled by a VA State cop and get a ticket for not displaying the front license plate on my 98 Z28. Now I'm not knocking the trooper as much as I am the law. It's a pretty useless and stupid law to have. I know I could just suck it up and mount the license plate, but IMHO it looks like sh*t mounted in most cases. Oh well, I guess I had just had to vent about that one time...
Old 03-10-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here in NJ. I have been without one for 3+ years but I do stick mine on the dashboard. On my Vette I will just go see how long I can go without a ticket
Old 03-10-2008, 08:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

just mount it under the bumper on the air dam and be done with it. its there just so you donr have to be behind the car to get the plate number.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by badpewter-z
just mount it under the bumper on the air dam and be done with it. its there just so you donr have to be behind the car to get the plate number.
I don't like that look, plus it reduces my clearance by that much more hah.

But FWIW, he would have to get behind me either way to pull me over right? Not tryin to argue, just sayin. It would save cost to not have to produce two plates for every vehicle also.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by BlackIce2123
I don't like that look, plus it reduces my clearance by that much more hah.

But FWIW, he would have to get behind me either way to pull me over right? Not tryin to argue, just sayin. It would save cost to not have to produce two plates for every vehicle also.
i didnt lose any ground clearence plus its barely visable , and they can get the number and call it in before they even turn around also that way if they cant turn around quick enough the number still goes in and they get more cars on ur ***

it does suck, its kinda pointless BUT why even give them a reason to pull you over and hassele ya

less attetion grabbing the better if you ask me
Old 03-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The law is in the books.

You didnt follow it.

The officer decided to inforce it.

And going to church had no bearing.

Pay it and move on, decide whether to put it on or roll the dice again.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
The law is in the books.

You didnt follow it.

The officer decided to inforce it.

And going to church had no bearing.

Pay it and move on, decide whether to put it on or roll the dice again.
Dude, I already said I'm not knockin him for givin me the ticket. I just don't like the law. Like I said earlier there are better ways to spend money than on two license plates for each vehicle.
Also FWIW, "studies" have shown that in the 20 states that don't require front plates, there has been no direct connection with more criminal driving incidents (i.e. running from the police, speeding, blah blah).

About the "attention grabbing", we drive F-body's... there's no sliding under the radar when it comes to police! haha but I know what you mean. Too bad my tint is illegal too, so I'm screwed no matter what! O well, that's the price you pay i guess, in this case it's 75$.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

I think badpewter-z's plate mount is the perfect solution so long as it's OK with the cops. You can see in his sig pic (nice job lifting the fronts btw!) that it does not hang below the air dam.

I'm lucky in that I still have a green mass tag from back in the day when they only issued rears. I'll never surrender this plate!
Old 03-10-2008, 11:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
I think badpewter-z's plate mount is the perfect solution so long as it's OK with the cops. You can see in his sig pic (nice job lifting the fronts btw!) that it does not hang below the air dam.

I'm lucky in that I still have a green mass tag from back in the day when they only issued rears. I'll never surrender this plate!
cops never even menioned the plate to me, theyve looked every time to.

its visable from 20ft and on the front so nothing they can say

fbodys are targets but why give em one more reason.

quiet exhasut, plate, tint thats border line instead of way to dark, dont drive like an *** and ive had a lot less company

thanks for the props too shev this year should be a tad higher and carry
Old 03-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

quiet exhasut, plate, tint thats border line instead of way to dark, dont drive like an *** and ive had a lot less company

O I can't see your sig since I'm on my work comp, but all the ones I've seen had half the plate hanging off the air dam. I'll have to check out how you did your when I get home.

The law technically says it just "has to be visible on the front of the car", however the officer said it has to be bolted on, can't be hanging by wires or anything. Who knows....
Old 03-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackIce2123
Dude, I already said I'm not knockin him for givin me the ticket. I just don't like the law. Like I said earlier there are better ways to spend money than on two license plates for each vehicle.
Also FWIW, "studies" have shown that in the 20 states that don't require front plates, there has been no direct connection with more criminal driving incidents (i.e. running from the police, speeding, blah blah).

About the "attention grabbing", we drive F-body's... there's no sliding under the radar when it comes to police! haha but I know what you mean. Too bad my tint is illegal too, so I'm screwed no matter what! O well, that's the price you pay i guess, in this case it's 75$.
Your state is whacked, I work for insurance and I take care of the drivers in your state, there is a violation for 1 to 5 MPH over the limit..... so to see you getting a lic plate isnt surprising. You just dont need to give him any more attention then needed.

In CT i think its 45$. Ive been pulled over once for it but in CT, you really need to give the officer a reason to get yea and further more have to **** him off to make it happen.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
Same here in NJ. I have been without one for 3+ years but I do stick mine on the dashboard. On my Vette I will just go see how long I can go without a ticket
We get it the worst though because we get to see PA drivers all the time and they don't have plates. I envy them for that and their lower property taxes and gun laws and.... well at least our highways are paved better
Old 03-10-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with the above post. Your biggest problem is that you were driving in VA.

I drive in MD and never get any shyt about it at all, even though it is required by law to be on the front. I just tell them I don't have the bracket for it and I don't want to keep it on my dash/windshield b/c if I get in an accident it could become a flying projectile and do some serious harm.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CaseyEaterMach1
We get it the worst though because we get to see PA drivers all the time and they don't have plates. I envy them for that and their lower property taxes and gun laws and.... well at least our highways are paved better

I'm jealous of their laws too. MD sux for the most part as well especially when it comes to gun laws and vehicle laws
Old 03-10-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

I wish you good luck and a soft landing.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

U cant even have the plate in the windshield of your car here in VA. it MUST be BOLTED to the very front of the car. Had many an officer explain this law to me. Ill still never put my plate on the front of my camaro. It looks like shyt. The state cops here are only out to give tickets anyway though. They sit on the side of the road, and look for the smallest thing to pull you over for. I am surprised you got a ticket for not having it mounted though. Ive been pulled over at least 2 dozen time for it in the past few years, but i always got warnings, and a stern talking to.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Yea O well, I'm not mounting it either unless someone comes up with a new mount that actually looks decent. The ticket isn't a moving violation, no points and no insurance effect so screw it!
Old 03-10-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

thats how ive always looked at it
Old 03-10-2008, 03:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I thought everything except Parking tickets were a moving violation.. Must just be MA!
Old 03-10-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tracer X
I thought everything except Parking tickets were a moving violation.. Must just be MA!
Basically thats what it is. If ur car was parked and a cop came by and saw you have no front plate on the car, he could give you a ticket. so therefore its a non moving violation. From what i understand, any ticket that can be given when the car is parked, falls under this category.