Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Info needed on NY rebuilt Salvage vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info needed on NY rebuilt Salvage vehicles

I got into an accident a week ago and my insurance company told me my car was totaled. I'm getting the claim for a total-loss on the car and I'm keeping the car.

Now from what I understand, the car is going to have a "Salvage" title now. Insurance will no longer be on the car and my title wont be valid.
I have a parts car which I'm going to buy and tow over and replace the parts I need. I only need new airbags, bumper, both front fenders, header panel/lights, and the hood.

Now what I'm looking for info on how do I get my car back on the road after I fix it? I know I need to get a "Salvage Vehicle Examination Program". I would obviously have to get it towed or something since they wont examine it if it has no insurance or legal registration and I drove it there.
Then I would have to get insurance back on the car and go to the DMV to get a renewed title for the salvage.

Could anyone help clarify in greater detail of the steps I need to take to get my car back on the road, and the time required to do it(after the car is fixed, which will be by end of next week) ?
Old 04-30-2008, 09:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by XPiRX
I got into an accident a week ago and my insurance company told me my car was totaled. I'm getting the claim for a total-loss on the car and I'm keeping the car.

Now from what I understand, the car is going to have a "Salvage" title now. Insurance will no longer be on the car and my title wont be valid.
I have a parts car which I'm going to buy and tow over and replace the parts I need. I only need new airbags, bumper, both front fenders, header panel/lights, and the hood.

Now what I'm looking for info on how do I get my car back on the road after I fix it? I know I need to get a "Salvage Vehicle Examination Program". I would obviously have to get it towed or something since they wont examine it if it has no insurance or legal registration and I drove it there.
Then I would have to get insurance back on the car and go to the DMV to get a renewed title for the salvage.

Could anyone help clarify in greater detail of the steps I need to take to get my car back on the road, and the time required to do it(after the car is fixed, which will be by end of next week) ?

My friend went through this a while ago

I know that you need to show where the parts came from, If you get the parts car try and leave the vin # stickers on the parts and bring the title with you for the parts car to show where they came from. They want to make sure there are no stolen parts being used

also make sure there are no holes in anything even make sure spoiler is on the car or the holes are filled it will fail for that if i remember right

if i can think of anything else i will let you know
Old 05-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

I was talking to my insurance company and apparently since my car is older than 8 years old I don't need to go to the DMV and go through all the salvage bullcrap. Best news I've heard in weeks. Thanks for the info though.