Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Hampton Roads...Another New One..

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:58 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
You actually make more than alot of civilians if you look at the big picture. Take in all you're entitlements and pay and you make more than most people. But I know where you're coming from. Everyone is like that when they're a young E-2 or E-3. Once you move up though and get more time in, you start to live pretty comfortable. I do plan on getting out though after my shore tour is up, so I understand what you're saying.
when you go through tap. they tell you about a navy website that has a military to civilian converter. just income alone not including everything we dont pay like health insurance as a 5 yr E-4 i cleared well over 30K a year add in everything else its over 40K almost 50K iirc.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steeltoe
when you go through tap. they tell you about a navy website that has a military to civilian converter. just income alone not including everything we dont pay like health insurance as a 5 yr E-4 i cleared well over 30K a year add in everything else its over 40K almost 50K iirc.
And somehow you were still able to **** it up....

If you were clearing almost $50k yearly, why in the world get out? No where else is gonna give you that Frank.... Not even close.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

before taxes i make over 4300 a month, plus health care, and all the other crap too. tats the whole reason i went shore duty now. im going to try and find a job now tho
Old 08-13-2008, 11:49 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by NVR KNO
And somehow you were still able to **** it up....

If you were clearing almost $50k yearly, why in the world get out? No where else is gonna give you that Frank.... Not even close.
i wasnt making 50K in pay i was only like 30K but is how they figure out what were really worth base pay+bah+bas+health insurance+dental insurance+retirement+leave days= some ridiculous amount of money
being kicked out for being to fat aside i wasnt having fun anymore and my career was at stand still. I go moved in to a dead end rate that i wasnt goin to advance in and i was in a department that had nothing to do with my rate. the only thing that would have been nice is if i hit my 6 year mark and nice severance pay or hit my 8 year mark and got a really nice check.
sean do you know what the highest paying blue collar jobs are. elevator mechanic, ac&r and hvac that was a large part of my last rate in the navy so 50K is an easy thing to get. if i would go take my A&P test i could get a job with any airline thats at $25+ an hour. i could work at a nuclear power plant makin stupid amount of money watching gauges. the biggest problem i have around here is that this area is for flooded with military people its hard to use that to get a job.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pharm0r
only when we are depolyed on the ship. so i get it for 6 months out of...what...every 2/3 years or so? When we were deployed I made about 800 every two weeks.

actually that is my delima now. I work nights, and as a matter of fact i routed my chit yesterday for BAS.

If it isnt obvious already, I will not be staying with the military. Still young enough to go back to collage (im 21 and get out in november of next year) plus they just upped the GI bill to 80k+ and you get e5 BAH (adjusted for area) as long as you're a full time student. So now it's simple math. GI bill > Active duty. i guess if i totally fail at life on the outside ill grab my degree and come back to the navy as an officer...will still make pennies compared to civilian...but at least my pennies will be a bit more shinyer than the enlisteds!

Um yeah i do ok Chris...... + The Wife.....

Ask her how much we make and she will tell you a Million..... because i spend it like that LOL.

With the whole officer thing.....

Its alot more then you think esp if you are an Academy grad like my little brother.

$40K loan with .05% intrest rate.

There base pay when they come in is a lil higher then an E5 around 6 yrs.
They pay for there meals on the boat $6 a meal.
Now to get them to stay in is the fun part.

Did you know about the time they can get out 6 yrs they have surpassed the entire enlisted pay scale because they make O-3 automatic.....
Department head tour $40K 2 yrs.. lil under that time frame
XO Tour $50K
CO $75K.........

It adds up fast.....

Didint you ever wonder why you saw the O's having DK's still take taxes from them on deployment even in tax free zones???

Its because they make beyound the $80K mark....
Anything above $80K is taxable....in a tax free zone.

Were on the wrong side for sure.....
When i make Board im going to drop an LDO packadge for sure.

Kyle
Old 08-13-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, for this to actually be the proverbial "good job" you hear people talking about, you need to be on the 'o's side in my opinion.

You are correct, we'll use your example. After adding everything up, whoever is making 50k a year. Ok, not so bad right. You need to look at the bigger picture though, that's all fine and dandy, but most corporate jobs or govt. jobs or whatever that include benifits dont count that aginst your salary. So you land a job that is 50k + benifits then you are already ahead of the military. Honestly, 50k is kind of a modest job, it's good for sure, but its definatly not the best. (i may be wrong about some of that, but that is my expir. correct me if im wrong)
Old 08-13-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i wasnt making 50K in pay i was only like 30K but is how they figure out what were really worth base pay+bah+bas+health insurance+dental insurance+retirement+leave days= some ridiculous amount of money
being kicked out for being to fat aside i wasnt having fun anymore and my career was at stand still. I go moved in to a dead end rate that i wasnt goin to advance in and i was in a department that had nothing to do with my rate. the only thing that would have been nice is if i hit my 6 year mark and nice severance pay or hit my 8 year mark and got a really nice check.
sean do you know what the highest paying blue collar jobs are. elevator mechanic, ac&r and hvac that was a large part of my last rate in the navy so 50K is an easy thing to get. if i would go take my A&P test i could get a job with any airline thats at $25+ an hour. i could work at a nuclear power plant makin stupid amount of money watching gauges. the biggest problem i have around here is that this area is for flooded with military people its hard to use that to get a job.

Never said you were clearing $50k in pay alone.... I know how the military pay works. Not only were my parents in it, but everyone we hang out.... Beside you.... Is in the military. And I have to deal with pay stubs for some people inorder for them to be approved to buy a car, so....

No one would hire you for a job that demands that much.... Just plain and simple. Lets be realistic here.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pharm0r
Honestly, 50k is kind of a modest job, )
Not when you are only in your early 20's.... It isnt.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Allright i'm tired of this ****-i'm tired of hearing how bad it is in the military and how you dont make any money.I make real good money here at the shop,should be easy to tell since i have a $200,000.00 race car.Anyway my girlfriend is an E6,brings home as much money as me plus doesnt pay any medical or dental bills,and a bunch of other ****.Any for anybody that thinks that 50,000 a year is modest-tell that to most of working america-your out of your ******* mind.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Junkie

You would be suprised at how many people get out of the military, just to come back in a few years later. All the stuff we get for free adds up - medical, dental, free gym, discounted food/clothes/electronics, etc.

Hell you can even get a flight overseas for free if you wanted so you can go on vacation on an AMC flight! not to mention the GI Bill which is now 80k and transferable to dependents, Tuition assistance and so much more.

Im not complaining about what I make...i know i make more than alot of people. but then i remember how many more people make so much more than me
Old 08-13-2008, 07:32 PM
12 Second Truck Club

You would be suprised at how many people get out of the military, just to come back in a few years later. All the stuff we get for free adds up - medical, dental, free gym, discounted food/clothes/electronics, etc.

Hell you can even get a flight overseas for free if you wanted so you can go on vacation on an AMC flight! not to mention the GI Bill which is now 80k and transferable to dependents, Tuition assistance and so much more.

Im not complaining about what I make...i know i make more than alot of people. but then i remember how many more people make so much more than me
you didnt read the fine print on that. you have to reenlist for another 6 years after the signing of the bill to do that.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:37 PM
12 Second Truck Club

No one would hire you for a job that demands that much.... Just plain and simple. Lets be realistic here.
hahahahahahaha if you say so.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

you didnt read the fine print on that. you have to reenlist for another 6 years after the signing of the bill to do that.
Do you know where this fine print is? Have you seen it? Because nothing I have read anywhere, or what we were taught in recruiting school says anything about that. Until I see it in black and white, is here stands.

And I am not calling you a liar, but I haven't seen/nor heard what you are saying, so I just want to see some proof.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just needed help with a tie rod end and you guys go ***** to the walls with this...military sucks unless you are E6 and above. I hate it, I work hard, get paid ****, but I made that decision and have a couple more years then I decide if I want the same ****, or a new civilian **** life...GET OVER IT. Then conversation is ridiculous.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

being an E5 isnt too bad
Old 08-13-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
Allright i'm tired of this ****-i'm tired of hearing how bad it is in the military and how you dont make any money.I make real good money here at the shop,should be easy to tell since i have a $200,000.00 race car.Anyway my girlfriend is an E6,brings home as much money as me plus doesnt pay any medical or dental bills,and a bunch of other ****.Any for anybody that thinks that 50,000 a year is modest-tell that to most of working america-your out of your ******* mind.
tell us how you really feel. do a stent as an enlisted then you'll share our insight. if it smells like ****, looks like ****, and 90% of the people dealing with it say it's ****....then my money is on ****. Having a 200k race car doesnt nessasarilly mean you have a good job, it could simply mean you are in alot of debt (im in no waying saying you are, or downtalking you, im just making a counter point)

Not when you are only in your early 20's.... It isnt.
you make a good point

Wow, to think this whole thing started over me saying I could hardly afford my car.

Last edited by Pharm0r; 08-13-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my debt=000.00,i made minimum wage until i was 25years old, i know all about not having money.and last but not least,there is not too many people in this world that dont bitch about how much they make.just cause it smells and looks like **** doesnt make it ****-taste it to find out for sure.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Taste ****? Who would want to do that?
Old 08-13-2008, 09:17 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Do you know where this fine print is? Have you seen it? Because nothing I have read anywhere, or what we were taught in recruiting school says anything about that. Until I see it in black and white, is here stands.

And I am not calling you a liar, but I haven't seen/nor heard what you are saying, so I just want to see some proof.
see that line where is DoD and military service will issue policy in the coming months. Navy Times had an article detailing the Navy Policy on the new GI Bill and it said that to transfer benfits to spouse you had to reenlist for 6 years and for children I believe it said you had to reenlist for 4 years. the Navy Time article was from the last week of June.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

I am a E-5 I have a payed for 2007 suzuki drz400sm a 1985 cj-7 that is a beast!! payed for.. 2006 jeep rubicon beast!!! a 2000 ss camaro... base housing in hawaii which is the **** with a phat garage!!! I started from nothing 6yrs ago. Plus a great wife and a lil baby girl ohh forgot to say the navy payed for her to be born. do not recall paying a dime. ya know somtimes the works sucks. I would rather work in a speed shop somtimes sweeping the floor. but lets it face we singed up to make the usa safe place and I am very proud to do that. Even if it means I have to clean **** out of the toilet, I am still apart of the greatest thing that makes up our freedom. We make a good living doing it. GO!! NAVY!!! because with out you I would be at home smoking Pot! and not have anything.

Last edited by grandsport1963; 08-13-2008 at 09:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Hampton Roads...Another New One..