Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Hampton Roads...Another New One..

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008 | 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by texasglock23
Well I'm only 23 and felt that owning two of my dream vehicles paid for in cash was worth mentioning. I didn't add my wife's 01 Corolla, maybe I should?

Oh wasn't looking for a miracle oil. Just curious. I always ran Valvoline in my GM trucks. They seemed to do better on it. Anything over $5 a qt. is far too much for me. Never ever been a fan of RP. Back when I worked at Oreilly's Auto Parts Mobil 1 was the best seller for full synthetic by far. Amsoil is great from what I always heard, but you have to rely on finding a reliable source. What is Amsoil running a qt.?

Mobil 1 here also....

The cheapest place to buy it is Walmart in the 5 qt jugs.....
It was $21.96 last time i picked one up...
Old 09-16-2008 | 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you. Do you use their filters? If so which and part number. The store near me does not have a lube shop. I don't like fooling with the books.

Looks like I will be heading to Walmart. I need a jack and stands and oil drip pan anyhow.

If you guys have any other tips, tricks or suggestions to help with the perfromance or any other aspect PLEASE feel free to chime in. I have joined other sites and researched a ton, but you can only learn so much reading ridiculous threads.
Old 09-16-2008 | 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thank you. Do you use their filters? If so which and part number. The store near me does not have a lube shop. I don't like fooling with the books.

Looks like I will be heading to Walmart. I need a jack and stands and oil drip pan anyhow.

If you guys have any other tips, tricks or suggestions to help with the perfromance or any other aspect PLEASE feel free to chime in. I have joined other sites and researched a ton, but you can only learn so much reading ridiculous threads.
I use the Mobil 1 filters...... its just a couple bucks more for it....
I use them in the TA and the Durango.
Old 09-16-2008 | 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

Mobil 1 here also. Wow, I didnt know you could get it so cheap at walmart.....they might night carry the weight i use though. (0w40 i believe)

I usually use K&N Oil filters....although right now im using a FRAN
Old 09-17-2008 | 11:58 AM
FormerVendor

synthetic oil is a waste of money unless you have some kind of high hp endurance engine-we run mobil 1 in the 600+ cid marine engines and circle track engines-other than that standard mineral oil is just fine-hell i run shell 15w40 in my 2500+ hp small block-never any bearing issues-all the street engines and drag race engines i build i recommend any good quality mineral oil-valvolene-pennzoil-shell.
no matter what oil you use-make sure its the correct weight per mfg specs-oil weight is dictated by clearances in the engine-too think an oil will starve an engine for oil upon startup because it takes too long to get where it needs,with too thin an oil,the bearings will loose their hydrodynamic wedge then you have metal to metal contact and worn bearings.
Old 09-17-2008 | 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

See I've always thought that running regualr oil would be fine, but everyone ALWAYS says nooooo, go with synthetic....
Old 09-17-2008 | 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

What weight? I see so many...
Old 09-17-2008 | 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

few more pics

Old 09-17-2008 | 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That car is clean man....
Old 09-17-2008 | 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What weight? I see so many...
What weight does it say underneath your hood? Thats the weight oil you should use....
Old 09-17-2008 | 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
synthetic oil is a waste of money unless you have some kind of high hp endurance engine-we run mobil 1 in the 600+ cid marine engines and circle track engines-other than that standard mineral oil is just fine-hell i run shell 15w40 in my 2500+ hp small block-never any bearing issues-all the street engines and drag race engines i build i recommend any good quality mineral oil-valvolene-pennzoil-shell.
no matter what oil you use-make sure its the correct weight per mfg specs-oil weight is dictated by clearances in the engine-too think an oil will starve an engine for oil upon startup because it takes too long to get where it needs,with too thin an oil,the bearings will loose their hydrodynamic wedge then you have metal to metal contact and worn bearings.

Talking like you know something....

Wait.... Nevermind.
Old 09-17-2008 | 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NVR KNO
What weight does it say underneath your hood? Thats the weight oil you should use....
Haven't checked...been lazy. Taking care of it all Friday, the command gave us the day off
Old 09-18-2008 | 06:07 AM
12 Second Club

Haven't checked...been lazy. Taking care of it all Friday, the command gave us the day off
5w 30
Old 09-18-2008 | 06:09 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
Hydrodynamic??? You got that word from
Old 09-18-2008 | 06:14 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NVR KNO
Haha.... The sad part is my sig doesnt even show half the cars Ive owned. I only put the "performance" cars up there.... None of my regular dailys.
Yeah, I have had quite a few myself. None worth mentioning except the chevy luv with the small-block in it. It was fun but it was a death trap.
Old 09-18-2008 | 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KONG
Yeah, I have had quite a few myself. None worth mentioning except the chevy luv with the small-block in it. It was fun but it was a death trap.
The Chevy luv???
Old 09-18-2008 | 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

So a bad tie rod end can fail you for emmissions? Looks like I get to replace that. Haven't a clue how either. The shop wanted $150 to do it.

Funny thing is, the guy before me got away with faded head lights and brakes that needed replacing in "a month or so" but a tie rod end was a failure?
Old 09-18-2008 | 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I talked with the previous owner of the car today and she stated that he had the car inspected last year at the dealer and everything was fine. He put the wheels on around that time and checked everything. I didn't think the wheel really had any play in it. How do I check into this? I think the shop just wanted to get some money out of me knowing that I was military and would fall for it. Can any one help?
Old 09-19-2008 | 02:05 PM
On The Tree

So a bad tie rod end can fail you for emmissions? Looks like I get to replace that. Haven't a clue how either. The shop wanted $150 to do it.

Funny thing is, the guy before me got away with faded head lights and brakes that needed replacing in "a month or so" but a tie rod end was a failure?
A bad tie rod can cause you to fail the safety inspection. There is no emmissions inspection in Va Beach. Go buy the Haynes manual for your car and do it yourself. A new tie rod end will require an alignment most likely.
Old 09-19-2008 | 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why in the hell am I having such bad luck with this car so far? I attempted to change the oil today and first the drain plug was stripping and was a PITA. I get another and replace it. The filter was on super tight thanks to the dealer. I tried a screwdriver which made it worse. Strap wrence failed first, I went back and got the socket style and it won't grap on to the filter now that it was crushed and piereced. WTF am I suppose to do now?

my cell is 757 849 8028
Jared

Quick Reply: Hampton Roads...Another New One..