Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

emissions help

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default emissions help

i just went to get my emissions done...No Dtc's....i didnt pass because the System Readiness test [EPA] was not ready....I hooked up efi live....i had no dtcs but i clicked the clear code...cleared....then drove the car around for 2 hours...still the same problem...anyone know if its a bad pcm?? or something else?

Last edited by SheaMus; 06-10-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yo Shea,shoulda ask fran.He would of told ya what the problem is.You have to have some many start/stop cycles for the codes to disappear.It's like 10/20 cycles. Do that and go get the car done it'll pass then.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you happen to disconnect your battery before you went for the test. That will make the tests run again.

Here is the test cycle:
http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

And this sticky also has some good info:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/287094-read-me-first-tuning-docs-ve-maf-ses-lights-faqs-more-01-31-07-a.html
Old 06-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it shows your not ready, you havent drove enough cycles. I would do multiple drives AND have the car turn on and off quite a few times.

TO give you an example, with a aftermarket tune and a lumpy cam.

The computer has a updated tune based on the place that does it, but the driveability stuff takes time to be made. Like I would have the atypical hanging idle when driving and when I come to a stop, it drops.

It took over 10 drives and for at least the car to hit closed loop for it to cease happening.

Think of the readiness test like that, the PCM needs so many drive cycles to set.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

thanks guys...ill drive this around on ...mp on 95 do the 55 mph and drop then see what efi live says...thanks again guys
Old 06-11-2008, 03:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Forget driving it around,won't help.

Delete every code for the 02's and EVAP system.Then it will pass 5 minutes later.Also EFI live has a emmisions ready test. I bet your car failed 02 and EVAP readiness.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Forget driving it around,won't help.

Delete every code for the 02's and EVAP system.Then it will pass 5 minutes later.Also EFI live has a emmisions ready test. I bet your car failed 02 and EVAP readiness.
Unless there is something funky in the tune, it will help to drive, or more to the point get the cycles in.

IF he can just tune all the rest of the **** out, thats great but thats up to him or his tuner to do so.

At least he is lucky, in CT if he doesnt past the PCM test, he HAS to pass on a emission roller.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Unless there is something funky in the tune, it will help to drive, or more to the point get the cycles in.

IF he can just tune all the rest of the **** out, thats great but thats up to him or his tuner to do so.

At least he is lucky, in CT if he doesnt past the PCM test, he HAS to pass on a emission roller.
Ok,if you delete the rear 02's it will never pass a 02 ready test!!!!!

Cycles mean absolutely nothing if you have EFI live.It will pass 5 minutes after you download a tune. I didn't read anything about how the car drives--- just how to pass the test.

Believe me,I've been through this a hell of alot more times than you have.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Internet Mechanic

Cycles mean absolutely nothing if you have EFI live.It will pass 5 minutes after you download a tune. I didn't read anything about how the car drives--- just how to pass the test.

Believe me,I've been through this a hell of alot more times than you have.
Based on the post he seems to NOT have an SES/Emissions/DTC issue, just that he had cleared everything.

So an FYI for everyone else if you dont have EFIlive, or access to a tuner whom you can pay to have it done then do what I say. BUT if there is a SES/Emissions/DTC issue, then it needs to be solved before going back.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 06-12-2008 at 07:54 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-11-2008, 09:08 PM
12 Second Club

I drove and did cycles all day...on and off...up above 55 then left off the gas and let it roll down...put efi live back on...02's and evap passed...just saying that EPA readiness test isnt ready...its wierd...i saved my tune...and downloaded the stock tune off of efi live and just flashed it back to stock...iam gonna change the speedo for the rear and go take it for a ride again...hopefully it was something that was put in the pcm...thanks for the feedback guys...ill write up and let u guys know what happens
Old 06-12-2008, 07:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by SheaMus
I drove and did cycles all day...on and off...up above 55 then left off the gas and let it roll down...put efi live back on...02's and evap passed...just saying that EPA readiness test isnt ready...its wierd...i saved my tune...and downloaded the stock tune off of efi live and just flashed it back to stock...iam gonna change the speedo for the rear and go take it for a ride again...hopefully it was something that was put in the pcm...thanks for the feedback guys...ill write up and let u guys know what happens

Just read my post again. They will never- ever be ready! Delete what I said and it WILL pass.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:26 AM
11 Second Club

Just read my post again. They will never- ever be ready! Delete what I said and it WILL pass.

He's not kidding around it certainly works! Just listen to Slowhawk, he knows what he's talking about! Had this done last month and the car passed when I took it about 35 minutes later, when I got to the service station!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

guys thanks for the help...slowhawk...i did everything u said...removed everything...i still have on more prob...the secondary air system still showing not ready.....Can i remove the codes for both air systems also??? and do you recommend turning everything back on after i get my emmissions passed?
Old 06-18-2008, 11:46 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by SheaMus
guys thanks for the help...slowhawk...i did everything u said...removed everything...i still have on more prob...the secondary air system still showing not ready.....Can i remove the codes for both air systems also??? and do you recommend turning everything back on after i get my emmissions passed?

Yes,delete all of the AIR system codes.Most cars we get rid of the AIR system anyways.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

thanks man