Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Got a letter from the state police

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I got 2 warnings in the same day for that back in 2001. I told both cops the same thing, the plate was at home on the bench because it looked like crap on the front of the car.

Both gave me a written warning, I should have framed them LOL.

I wouldn't put a plate on the front of one of these cars on any place other then where Noyzee has his... it RUINS the way the car looks. Ruins the way all cars look for that matter.

Camaro, if you have oen of the SLP grills you might, MIGHt be able to mount it behind the grill so that it's there you just can't really see it, but on a firebird there's no place to put one that doesn't look like a nightmare other then the bottom air damn. And when you mount it there, make sure it hangs lower then it needs to, so it can be rubbed away with time. I'd slot the holes in the air dam so you can make sure it wears away with time LOL.

I ever get another street car, I'm not putting it on. I'll take the XX dollar ticket, and continue to drive without it. I will not put it on.

I was pissed that the dealer put it on the front of my wife's car, next new car I buy, I am telling them NOT to put the plate on the front of the car, and they give me any lip about it I will tell them to keep the car, that's probably about all that it will take to get them to leave that off I think with the way dealerships are hurting these days.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Put the plate on your car,take a pick and send it back with the warning. Everybody thinks a warning is ok till you get another ticket and that warning comes into play on your insurance.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, i never knew they could just mail you a citation/warning for something you didnt actually get stopped for. (with the exception of those red light cameras, which go through a private company anyways).

so why even pull people over? what stops them from just sitting on the side of the road with the radar gun, and just writing down the license plate numbers of the people they zap?
Old 07-02-2008, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a license plate with green numbers, so I dont need the front plate... Anyone know how long that'll last? I heard they were gonna make everyone get new plates soon, but that was years ago that I heard that.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by thechef
send them a picture of a check

I don't know about putting it on the air dam, that scrapes all the times as it is, and the plate would hang even lower. I do have a factory bracket that fits the bumper, I just don't like the way it looks, that bumper was not made to have a plate on it.

I didn't know that Providence has red light cameras, good to know.

So does anyone know if there is any record of it when you receive a written warning? Slowhawk, you said this could affect my insurance, meaning there must be some sort of record of it. I don't really know how that works. I've also heard conflicting stories on whether no front plate is a moving violation.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Launching!

I'll never put them on the Camaro and Trans am, looks like ****! i get pulled over a cpl times a year, I try the excuse Im going to a car show, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. Oh well. Its not a moving violation, just money for the town, so I send them my $52.00 contribution and Im done with it.

Its a very dumb law, I never seen a cop get in front of me and run my plates from his rear view mirror. They always get behind you... so no need for the front plates!
Old 07-02-2008, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
As for the plate in the dash ive read the actual law book, it needs to be secured w/ to fasteners. Cops have allowed people to stuff them in the dash or behind the window, due to reg tags being stolen BUT in reality now we have moved to the window stickers.
yeah thats what my inspection station told me when I came in with my plate secured to my nose with 3M mounting tape. so I went home and bent some steel brackets up and screwed the plate to the bracket, drove back over, jumped out and stuck the brackets to the underside of my nose with -3M mounting tape
4years now w/ no front plate and only 1 verbal warning from a cop about it, tickets or no tickets I'l never put that plate on tho.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Race your car!

The plate ticket is not a moving violation, it does not go against your insurance, it's just a fine. Pay it, don't install the plate, and be done with it.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
The plate ticket is not a moving violation, it does not go against your insurance, it's just a fine. Pay it, don't install the plate, and be done with it.
Exactly, and its not like I have a license for property and casualty insurance....

It MAY go against your license, but not insurance.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:37 AM
Race your car!

Actually it doesn't go against your license. the plate ticket isn't anything different then a parkign ticket. You pay it, and that's it. You can get a million of them and as long as you pay it, they're not gonna suspend your license.

So go plate-less with confidence, the worst that can happen is a small fine!
Old 07-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Actually it doesn't go against your license. the plate ticket isn't anything different then a parkign ticket. You pay it, and that's it. You can get a million of them and as long as you pay it, they're not gonna suspend your license.

So go plate-less with confidence, the worst that can happen is a small fine!

Yea, very true. Ive gotten the CT warning of driver retraining and I think one had to do with it but again, I could have had something else that I missed.

Honestly though, to get a ticket for a front lic plate, either the officer doesnt like, you and you pissed them off, or your driving a rice burner.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Honestly though, to get a ticket for a front lic plate, either the officer doesnt like, you and you pissed them off, or your driving a rice burner.
LMAO
Old 07-03-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Screw that, I'll never put the front license plate on the car. Maybe if I was getting pulled over time and again I'd consider putting it on that air dam, but even that I probably wouldn't bother unless the bills started stacking up.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Put the plate on the car. You don't want to be riding around with an open invitaion to be pulled over. If you run into a real ***** they could end up going over your car with a fine toothed comb and find all sorts of ****.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
Put the plate on the car. You don't want to be riding around with an open invitaion to be pulled over. If you run into a real ***** they could end up going over your car with a fine toothed comb and find all sorts of ****.
There is def truth in that statement, thank god my car can pass
Old 07-03-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Not much to find on my car, it's got cats, emissions, etc. Aftermarket exhaust but it's not stupid loud.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

You sound like you drive around with ALOT of illegal stuff. I have no front plates on my camaros and the front fell off my truck while plowing. I have been pulled over once for the truck in 3 years and that was more for my brake light being out.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by silplu83
You sound like you drive around with ALOT of illegal stuff. I have no front plates on my camaros and the front fell off my truck while plowing. I have been pulled over once for the truck in 3 years and that was more for my brake light being out.
No, Sir, not me.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by thechef
send them a picture of a check
it's been done, the sender got back a picture of handcuffs and a summons for court. I believe he got time after that stunt.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gillbot
it's been done, the sender got back a picture of handcuffs and a summons for court. I believe he got time after that stunt.
whaaaaaaaat?! no way! thats crazy lol. anyways, i wont put my front plate on it. screw that. i painted the bird on the cover for a reason. i do think in NH if you get more than one ticket for the same thing in a certan amount of time its considered
an habitual offence. thats never good.