Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Wtf!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow can i relate to this thread. I'm 21 i work for the family business and slowly taking over things. Day in and day out i argue with my dad and he complains about everything. Yet i'm just like him. Every SINGLE purchase I make... "i must be paying you too much" "maann if i had your kind of money" he says...

I guess i have it pretty easy, cheap rent but it really does suck having a 5 ft area in the garage to work out of. Always getting **** about my car on jack stands or the parts flooding the shed/garage. He should stop complaining though, i'm doing him a favor by keeping the family business going...
Old 07-31-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

I think the biggest chiller we have on contract where i work is 2000 ton and there are 3 of them... punching condenser tubes suck!!!!!! you figure ruffly 1 tube per ton! and god forbid you have to do the evaporator ...
Old 07-31-2008, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Its funny how we are all in the same boat..........................and no one seems to be steering.

I started a buisness 4 years ago its had its ups and downs. I am going through the same thing as you guys I seem to be running all over with a ton of work, just no to low cash flow. I bought the 99 for myself this year and its made me quite happy(especially cuz it was such a great deal) but it seemed like I would have the money to get the 83 painted but now I doubt it. dam WTF
Old 08-01-2008, 07:15 AM
9 Second Club

At least I woke up this morning & didn't see my name in the obituaries

WTF!!
Old 08-01-2008, 07:28 AM
TECH Regular

Looks like I should quit complainging about the shop being too busy to work on / play with my toys. Although I must admit....most people are skimping on quality, and some people just ask for glue and tape just enough to "get by" I don't forsee things getting any better either.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:46 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brad, your Dad is prob bitching because he would rather see you live like a poor hermit for the next 15 or 20 years and get by with just basic stuff and be able to retire when your really young and enjoy much more expensive toys than just a new truck or a jetski. You wouldnt have to work until your old and you wont be waiting for more cash when you would otherwise have so much money that a bad economy would worry you as much as losing 10.00 in the street.

Right now your ejoying yourself with small things and your busting *** for it. Picture if you were still on your first truck if you didnt have all of the other toys and you wernt so into everything else. I bet you would have 250,000.00 sitting in the bank and over time by putting that into 1 or 2 year bonds plus dumping more money in there; you could retire with a few million by far and end up having several houses, a ferrari, a few boats and spend money like its going out of style. Since your doing it this young your going to be limited to how much you can spend and without a huge bankroll your going to worry at times when the next wave of cash is coming in.

If your Dad is like mine, he cares about what happens but he's too much of a guy to tell you so he yells and tells you that your dumb and relentlessly rags on you.

It's a consumers world out there, we are all caught up with making a new purchase every so often then the new feeling dies away and you buy something new. Maybe the same thing happened to your Dad and he wishes he was in your shoes to re-do things and at his current age have alot less stress and more money. Your Dad means well, he doesnt want to see you become a slave for a specific lifestyle where if you wait you can have it without the stress.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are lucky though having a family business or your own business...sucks working for a corporation that you make money for hand over fist and see only a fraction of the profits. Any ideas on a good start up business? Ive been mulling ideas over with a couple of my co-workers and with the way the finance industry is right now we are going to hold off on our ideas of starting a private consulting/investing firm because we would be shooting ourselves in the foot by opening it right now. Not opposed to physical labor as im 6'8 245pounds and enjoy working with my hands. There are so many bars, restaurantes, etc out there that that is probably off the radar so any ideas post up!
Old 08-01-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
You guys are lucky though having a family business or your own business...sucks working for a corporation that you make money for hand over fist and see only a fraction of the profits.
That is funny and that is what a lot of people say. When u own the business, especially a smaller family one, work never ends and you are always the one making the least. I have 6 people making more than I do in a year and I average 10-15 hours more a week than they do
Old 08-01-2008, 09:37 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
You guys are lucky though having a family business or your own business...sucks working for a corporation that you make money for hand over fist and see only a fraction of the profits. Any ideas on a good start up business? Ive been mulling ideas over with a couple of my co-workers and with the way the finance industry is right now we are going to hold off on our ideas of starting a private consulting/investing firm because we would be shooting ourselves in the foot by opening it right now. Not opposed to physical labor as im 6'8 245pounds and enjoy working with my hands. There are so many bars, restaurantes, etc out there that that is probably off the radar so any ideas post up!
If I had any clue about the finance industry... I would make an even swap with you tomorrow.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Noyzee
but i know without a question my old man will never let it go. no matter what it is that i buy he hates it, cars, sleds, trucks etc so i guess it really doesnt matter i usually end up buying it anyway, but then i have to listen to him all the time
Ahhh, the joys or working with your Pops!! I go through it everyday of the week, including Saturdays!!!! LOL

I'm surprised you are slow Brad. We are busy as hell here in NYC, and I can't even keep up with the bidding!

Last edited by Big Mike; 08-01-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 8ALTNG
That is funny and that is what a lot of people say. When u own the business, especially a smaller family one, work never ends and you are always the one making the least. I have 6 people making more than I do in a year and I average 10-15 hours more a week than they do
Yea I mean im not knocking the work that a business owner has to put in because it is certainly a lot but you do have the pride of having something that is your own and know that the efforts you put in ultimately are bettering your business. I totally understand about the hours and pay though and i cant lie it is nice being able to leave for the day when Im not busy or take a month vacation etc. etc. not having to worry that my business is being negatively impacted. There are pros and cons to every occupation but I would definately like to try and own a small business at some point in the near future if possible.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nautilus
If I had any clue about the finance industry... I would make an even swap with you tomorrow.
You got it! Swapping cars though needs to be included as well and we have a deal haha!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

2 weeks ago, I had a new HVAC system installed in my house. I talked with the workers for a while over lunch (which the workers were shocked when I offered them burger/dogs for lunch). One of the guys normally does commercial systems, but they have no work there right now, so he is helping out with the residential side of the business. So in my area, the commercial side of HVAC business is hurting as well.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 8ALTNG
Family businesses suck because there is no line between work and family bullshit.
I have to disagree with you there man. My Father and I fight like cats and dogs everyday. Everyday there is a shouting match here. If we are not yelling at each other THEN there is a problem.

We yell and scream at each other, the minute we lock the doors and turn off the lights at work, he is still my Father and it's like nothing ever happened at work. We NEVER mix work and family. And we never talk about work outside the office unless its crucial...
Old 08-01-2008, 11:22 AM
8 second mod

Joe, im pretty sure your correct. he wants me to do what he did and work work work, save my money, skip any frills save save save, work work work.
i look at him and how pissed off at the world he is, and i say screw that. i dont mind the work and stress, but no way am i missing out on the things he did. now at 60 he is finnally trying to enjoy life, but he cant because he is so wacked out from the last 35 years of the ****.
between him and i watched 3 real close good friends pass away. one took his own life at 20, another crashed his truck at 20, and another just died of an over dose (so im guessing he did it on purpose) but i look at them and relize i might not make it to 50 or 60, i'll worry about 50 or 60 when im there. right now im going for the gusto. i do not live out of my meens, i own EVERYTHING i have right now besides my new truck so i feel im in pretty good shape.

\Funny talking about your guys making more then you.
i have guys that make MORE then double what i make!!! i have only 3 people in my company that i make more money then and they have been doing this for 2-3 years.

Mike, we are slow, its week to week.
im bidding like you read about, i send out bid after bid and it seems the guys giving the **** away are the ones doing eveything. they should be out of busness soon i hope so i can move in
Old 08-01-2008, 11:59 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Big Mike
I have to disagree with you there man. My Father and I fight like cats and dogs everyday. Everyday there is a shouting match here. If we are not yelling at each other THEN there is a problem.

We yell and scream at each other, the minute we lock the doors and turn off the lights at work, he is still my Father and it's like nothing ever happened at work. We NEVER mix work and family. And we never talk about work outside the office unless its crucial...
It's the same way with my Father, at work we scream, yell & fight sometimes. But after work it's like it never happened. We get along great outside of work.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

I thought the boat idea was out until next season? Or did you find another one?

I wouldn't want Brads job. Ive seen the BS many times. Ill stick with being poor and stress free.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, life sucks sometimes fellas, and I don't really know alot about your situation Brad. But I offer this:

It's the weekend!

I will enjoy a glass of barley and hops and the company of some "morally casual" women tonight. I suggest that you do the same.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Maybe your old man wants you to buy a house and move the **** out
Yeah- enough of this Richie Rich/Peter Pan ****.

You got a nice looking honey.. well, you know that women are "nest" oriented and are driven by a mix of hormones and the opinions of other established "nesters"!

Start poppin' out little Noyzee's and Noyette's- make Mom & Dad proud Grandpa's and Grandma's.

Start changin' some heavy, pee-soaked diapers and toxic kiddie vaults and then you can start singin' the blues. That's right- you gotta SUFFER befor you sing the blues.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zapp168
Looks like I should quit complainging about the shop being too busy to work on / play with my toys. Although I must admit....most people are skimping on quality, and some people just ask for glue and tape just enough to "get by" I don't forsee things getting any better either.

I was doing a job in Salem and happened to drive by your shop. I saw a bunch of LS1 Camaros out side and wanted to stop by but didn't have time. Too bad salem is so far away. No fun shops on the south shore just Mustang crapholes.......speaking of which on August 10th 9AM-1PM there is a dyno day at MPE racing in Whitman if any will be around. Its a Mustang shop so it'll be a fun day!