Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Another set of heads down the drain...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Another set of heads down the drain...

For this badass Ibanez S2170SE Prestige.

As many of you know, cars are only my hobby and my real passion is music and guitars. For the money I've spent on guitars and amps just since the beginning of this year, I could have purchased my entire Trickflow / Dominator 2 / FAST 92 setup, had installed it, and had it tuned.

Ah well, someday a decent H/C/I package will happen...
Old 09-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Internet Mechanic

Joe, your a homo, you better be dating a Hooters chick.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Joe, your a homo, you better be dating a Hooters chick.
Don't be jealous of people in the 11-second club just because you haven't gained access yet...

Old 09-25-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Is this a sibling rivalry or just strangely coincidental names

Looks like a nice piece. Is that a crazy reflective pattern or is it actually swirled with brown... I actually sold my entire drum kit at one point for parts for my car

-J
Old 09-25-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That thing is gorgeous. Didn't realize the prestige was so damn slender. Probably doesn't weigh a damn thing I bet. Nice damn guitar fella, Ibanez is the only way to go. Have 2 myself
Old 09-25-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Is this a sibling rivalry or just strangely coincidental names

Looks like a nice piece. Is that a crazy reflective pattern or is it actually swirled with brown... I actually sold my entire drum kit at one point for parts for my car

-J
Haha, close friend but ScreaminRedZ is actually my brother. There is some SERIOUS rivalry that goes on between all of us.

And it's a flat natural pattern and the finish is called Swirled Ebony. It's pretty freakin sweet.
Originally Posted by DVS99TRANS
That thing is gorgeous. Didn't realize the prestige was so damn slender. Probably doesn't weigh a damn thing I bet. Nice damn guitar fella, Ibanez is the only way to go. Have 2 myself
Thank you, sir! I've got quite a few guitars (before this the last purchase was a Les Paul Standard Plus) but when I saw and then played this one, it was a no brainer, especially for my band sound- and looks-wise. Plays nicer than it looks.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice axe!!! That guitar is a very nice piece
I'm actually looking to get another guitar soon, gonna take a trip up to guitar center one weekend and try out a whole mess of guitars.
What would you rate this guitar at? Like out of 10 what score would you give it? And how are the pickups?
Old 09-25-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlueSLPCamaro
Nice axe!!! That guitar is a very nice piece
I'm actually looking to get another guitar soon, gonna take a trip up to guitar center one weekend and try out a whole mess of guitars.
What would you rate this guitar at? Like out of 10 what score would you give it? And how are the pickups?
Looks-wise: 10

Feel-wise: 9

Sound-wise: 8/9 depending on what you like. I personally like a very hot pickup, and these are hotter than the humbuckers on my strat, but not as hot as the ones on my Ibanez RG570. They're rock/metal, but not total metal, like the other Ibanez.

Most of the Prestige model Ibanez guitars are very nice, especially the Japanese built ones. This one is a Korean built one, but plays like a Japanese in my opinion. And the look is killer.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Joe, you know damn well that BS machine could, with a relativly inexpensive purchase be blowing your doors off LOL.

But you also know, that with about 1500 in parts and a week's time you could be running 11.5x too....

I do admit I love watching you guys go at it.

Nice guitar though, you're gonna have to bring it over for the new years party, I have another guy that I used to work with that might come too, if he does I'll tell him to bring his you 2 can rip it up. He's a little older then you, but was into heavy **** before it was cool, really good guy, and can play like a ****.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Nice finish. I love black hardware, that's what my Charvel has. Is that a **** to adjust the tension for the springs for the bridge in back?
Old 09-25-2008, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

Very nice. I'm more of an Ibanez RG fan. I just bought a new RG finally last sunday along with a Line 6 amp. I've been waiting along time to finally buy a new amp and guitar. It was kind of an impulse buy. I know in a few weeks I'll be wishing I waited and bought something else.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Sick axe. I am looking for something to compliment my Les Paul. I have been looking into Ibanez and Jackson guitars- a different animal. I like the Floyd Rose setup.

I am used to the whole Les Paul/Marshall stack sound haha
Old 09-25-2008, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
Sick axe. I am looking for something to compliment my Les Paul. I have been looking into Ibanez and Jackson guitars- a different animal. I like the Floyd Rose setup.

Ibanez is a guitar I don't think you can really go wrong with for the price.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Joe, you know damn well that BS machine could, with a relativly inexpensive purchase be blowing your doors off LOL.

But you also know, that with about 1500 in parts and a week's time you could be running 11.5x too....

I do admit I love watching you guys go at it.

Nice guitar though, you're gonna have to bring it over for the new years party, I have another guy that I used to work with that might come too, if he does I'll tell him to bring his you 2 can rip it up. He's a little older then you, but was into heavy **** before it was cool, really good guy, and can play like a ****.
Yeah, but with just as inexpensive of a purchase, I could get that much farther ahead. A nice little hundred shot for a few hundred bucks and I wouldn't have too much to worry about (not that I've been known to impulse buy.... [looks at this thread]). At this point, I like going back and forth with Ron, Aaron, and John. It makes it totally worth it to buy something for the car when one of them gets ahead, as opposed to just modding for the sake of going faster (which I have been known to do). Right now, I'm in the lead, so I'll wait until someone else steps up to the plate, then I'll continue on.

It's like if I won the lotto, I wouldn't just go out and buy a Veyron first thing. I'd start off with something similar to my car (only nicer, like an LS3), and then mod it up. Then I would slowly buy faster and faster cars so I could enjoy it.

Or I might just throw an LS7 with an F1 and some juice on this car and be done with it.
Originally Posted by Formula413
Nice finish. I love black hardware, that's what my Charvel has. Is that a **** to adjust the tension for the springs for the bridge in back?
Yup, the **** adjusts the tension of the springs without opening up the guitar. Pretty sweet feature if you like to tool around with the tech/setup side of things, which I typically don't (but am learning more about).
Originally Posted by z28misfit
Very nice. I'm more of an Ibanez RG fan. I just bought a new RG finally last sunday along with a Line 6 amp. I've been waiting along time to finally buy a new amp and guitar. It was kind of an impulse buy. I know in a few weeks I'll be wishing I waited and bought something else.
Which RG and which Ibanez? I have an RG570 that I bought a few years back (see pic below). I LOVE the pickups on it and the really thin Wizard neck, but the finish is blah. I do love the sound and feel of it, though, and that's what's keeping me from selling it cheap. It plays and sounds like a MUCH more expensive guitar, much nicer than any of the other RG guitars I've played. The more I sit down and think about it, the less I want to sell it. I just wish it was a different color because I liked it at first, but like it less and less as time goes on.

Yeah, I've got a few Les Pauls, a coule Ibanez's, a couple Strats, and a few others, and it seems that they are all COMPLETELY different guitars feel and sound wise. I just picked up a Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus earlier this year (that was a hefty little purchase - see pic below) and it is probably THE nicest feeling and looking guitar I've ever seen - I bought it on the spot. I still need to have it setup for my tuning and strings, though (Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings and drop C tuning for this band), so I haven't played it a ton.

And here's my other Gibson - The Paul II (discontinued):

Old 09-26-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Gibson's rule man. They are so sweet and fat sounding. I use Ernie Ball (green pack). I think they are 10/46's? Its a nice thin string for solos but can handle my picking for heavier stuff. I've never been a fan of a thicker string. Probably because my guitars are set up real low- action.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Gibson's rule man. They are so sweet and fat sounding. I use Ernie Ball (green pack). I think they are 10/46's? Its a nice thin string for solos but can handle my picking for heavier stuff. I've never been a fan of a thicker string. Probably because my guitars are set up real low- action.
Yeah, the Skinny Top Heavy Bottom set uses 10s just like yours for the top three strings (G B E) and real heavy low strings (close to 12s) for the bottom three (E A D). They work perfect for me because I do the lead work in my band but it still gives me that real heavy feel for power chords in drop C tuning.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You're so close to needing a rollbar as it is it's not even funny, ya put a 100 shot on it and you're gonna be at a 10.9 on a bad day.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Damm drop C tuning is pretty heavy haha.

Sell one of your guitars you don't play much and get yourself a roll bar. Safety first my friend!
Old 09-26-2008, 04:14 PM
11 Second Club

Which RG and which Ibanez? I have an RG570 that I bought a few years back (see pic below). I LOVE the pickups on it and the really thin Wizard neck, but the finish is blah. I do love the sound and feel of it, though, and that's what's keeping me from selling it cheap. It plays and sounds like a MUCH more expensive guitar, much nicer than any of the other RG guitars I've played. The more I sit down and think about it, the less I want to sell it. I just wish it was a different color because I liked it at first, but like it less and less as time goes on.

It's the RGR421EXFM, it looks like it has EMG pickups in it. The pickups are stamped "Designed by EMG" and at the lower right hand corner of the pickup Ibanez has their name on them. I'll have to get a pic and post it on here.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z28misfit
It's the RGR421EXFM, it looks like it has EMG pickups in it. The pickups are stamped "Designed by EMG" and at the lower right hand corner of the pickup Ibanez has their name on them. I'll have to get a pic and post it on here.
That's a pretty sharp looking guitar. I could never get used to the reverse headstock, though. Is it in red with the black edges? Those pickups are exactly what they say they are, designed by EMG specifically for this model (and possibly a few other models) Ibanez, but made only for Ibanez. Definitely get some pics!