Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Bad night tonight, Need some help. Big read

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 02:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad night tonight, Need some help. Big read

So im out driving around our local "circuit" and im just about to leave when a rsx type s is in front of me at the stop light, i think nothing of it so i go to go out around him. Well he sped up a little bit when i changed lanes so we are pretty much right next to each other i have no intention on racing because its an acura lol anyway he revs and i hear a blow off valve which got me intrested but not enough well i went to speed up because i needed to get over and he mashes the gas and im already doing probably 10 over or so and he flys passed me. Well i look in my rearview and sure enough a cop flying out of an intersection with his lights on so at this point im like whatever i really didnt do anything wrong so i pull over and this rsx is in front of me just takes off at the next stop light and gets away because the cop didnt even bother going after him.

The cop comes up to my window gives me the do you know why im pulling you over i said not really maybe speeding and he asked were you racing that other car, I say no and what not blah blah he says to me that he has it on video and he saw us side by side and what not which is very true but racing hardly. He goes back to his car well about 20 minutes later he comes back and says that he is giving me a citation for street racing i just look at him and ask whats the fine if i plead guilty and do i lose my liscense and its a hefty fine and loss of "driving privlages" which doesnt thrill me at all.

So as soon as i get home i hop on the net looking for the citation online and i find that he wrote the "statue" of the offense down wrong its supposed to be 75 and he wrote 775 im not sure if that can be enough to have the case thrown out or not but that sure would be nice what do you guys think? If no then should i get a lawyer and fight this or seek legal advice and go in by myself? I really dont know what to do i cant lose my liscense right now, i start school oct 29 on top of having a girlfriend that doesnt drive its just so incovient especially being that i wasnt necessarily in the wrong besides maybe speeding which i wasnt even clocked so theres no proof. I know this is a long one but i really need some advice guys.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:39 AM
On The Tree

I would say fight the ticket!!!! You have nothing to loose and maybe the freaking jerk won't show up! A lot of times if there is a mistake or even if you ask to see the service papers on the radar gun and most of the time they dont have them it will get thrown out. Just be respectful and act like you learned your lesson! Good luck bro!

TJ
Old 10-04-2008, 03:15 AM
Teching In

Thanks man and ironically enough my names TJ too lol.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:18 AM
On The Tree

No problem! Keep me updated on this in case this happens to me one day! LOL!

TJ
Old 10-04-2008, 03:20 AM
Teching In

Will do man and hope you never have to deal with this lol.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:46 AM
12 Second Club

I was involved in a similar situation years back, from my experience get yourself a lawyer
Old 10-04-2008, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get a lawyer, get his dash cam footage, get video of your car moving out at the track during a street legal drags night to show the difference between cruising along and being on it, point out the poorly filled out ticket, and get out of it.

-Tim
Old 10-04-2008, 07:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That really sucks man. That is why I stay out of town and the "circuit" if I do go through there I sure as hell do not get on it. Good luck with the fight I would def get a lawyer you don't stand a chance other wise.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:42 AM
10 Second Club

Oh yeah and in PA if you get busted for street racing you can't get a work license when they take your license. But if you get a DUI you can get a work license. How fucked up is that.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
Oh yeah and in PA if you get busted for street racing you can't get a work license when they take your license. But if you get a DUI you can get a work license. How fucked up is that.
Very true...and on another note fight that ****...it'll be hard but if you win trust me it'll be better then the 6 months you will get and yes it is 6 months, i have first hand experiance with this b.s.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

I agree with everyone. If you try to do it(fight),you have to do alot of homework-know the law,define streetracing,any rubber on the street,etc.You can request any footage if on tape also.It has to be public knowledge.Or pay the lawyer.They can take the payment plan.Call the lawyer referral place at your county seat.Don't want a devorce lawyer-lol.Good luck.Keep us posted.I think it's winnable
Old 10-04-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Not enough information. Title 75 is generally what all traffic citations are written under. What did he charge you with under Title 75? Was it racing on highways?

Depending on the circumstances, I would personally suggest not getting a lawyer. Were you the only one in the car? When you tell us you went to speed up, how aggressively did you speed up? If the officer has this on camera, it will be pretty clear what happened. You are going to have to advise the judge that your intentions of passing this car were not racing.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NJSPDER
Get a lawyer, get his dash cam footage, get video of your car moving out at the track during a street legal drags night to show the difference between cruising along and being on it, point out the poorly filled out ticket, and get out of it.

-Tim
This is your best bet.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1 Eddie
Not enough information. Title 75 is generally what all traffic citations are written under. What did he charge you with under Title 75? Was it racing on highways?
Yes its "racing on highways" but your right its under 75 but he wrote down as 775 dont know if it matters. And thanks for all the help guys so if i lose or dont get it reduced im looking at a six month suspension?
Old 10-04-2008, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 775 is gonna be a techincality that will get you off, they have to have their paperwork correct
Old 10-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Teching In

If thats the case who would be the person to contact about this, the station or the court?
Old 10-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Self-Admitted Scammer

OP, i see you are in lancaster, you need a good lawyer for this one. trust me. I have one for you that I have used to get me out of serious charges up there. I will PM you. cops in that area are total stuck up *********. No respect for them.

Do not talk to the police or anything.

Last edited by ls2pontiac; 10-04-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Another question if anyone knows, does my liscense get suspended before i go to court or is it only gone if i lost or plead guilty?
Old 10-04-2008, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

i would get a lawyer, this is what they study and do, they are expirenced....
Old 10-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Self-Admitted Scammer

your license is lost if you plead or are found guilty. On the back of the ticket, sign your name in the "NOT GUILTY and Request a Trial" portion and mail it in along with the $290 fine as collateral. They will send you a court date in the mail, which will most likely be about 30-45 days from now.