Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

What do you guys think, tranny woes

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you guys think, tranny woes

I recently bought a tranny from a guy in the for sale section. He shipped it to Robert's shop (mrr23). When it arrived it was in a large blue rubbermaid tub with the lid completey destroyed and appeared to be re taped. There was absolutely NO packaging in the tub. The tranny was laying on the master cylinder(included in the deal). Shipper claims UPS store packaged it for him.

So I didnt see any physical damage and installed it. Took hours and hours to bleed the clutch with the hydraulics this guy supplied. I finally got it driveable, but was clipping all gears and grinding 4th. After some adjusting of the master, I got it to shift ok in all gears but 4th, it still grinds under load. Shifts ok, only a slight clipping, if I take it easy, and I mean real easy. All gears seem to be clipping very slightly under load but not bad at all. I jumped in earlier to move the car to try a differant fluid, and had no pedal at all. I replaced the synthetic Dexron 3 mercon stuff with Syncromesh from GM and re-installed my old master and 10 minutes later it is completely bled. Now the issue is still the 4th gear grinding under load.

So my question is, could this have been caused by UPS manhandling it?? Seller says maybe the input shaft got jacked around. Is that possible to cause 4th to have this issue and nothing else, or would it have symptoms in all gears??

UPS denied the claim and the seller re-opened it. Could all of this have been shipping? If so, what do you guys think my options are? I dont want to make a big deal about it if I can get some compensation to get it either rebuilt or ???? But I do need it fixed. I offered today to take it to a speed shop and let them tinker(not sure what they can do) on his tab, but he just said he would wait for UPS.

Anyway, thought I would ask the local guys. We have our opinions over on SCFBA, its been discussed in person and on chat extensively. I thought a differant perspective might be good.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Banned

If the input shaft got jacked around, there will be marks from it on the TUB somewhere.

The UPS store guarantees your stuff will get there undamaged, I hear that **** on the radio every commercial break.
So that being said why doesn't the seller make a claim with UPS?

I've got a guess on that one. BECAUSE UPS DOES NOT PACK ANYTHING IN BLUE RUBBERMAID TUBS!

The **** people come up with is amazing.
UPS made your trans grind fourth. BULLSHIT.

But thats just my opinion, have fun, you won't see me doing out of state purchases again, been fucked over every time.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Banned

FWIW I shipped a Muncie M22 from the UPS store. I personally rolled it up in a six foot length of cardboard and capped the ends. It went from FL to CA without damage, go figure.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

He did file with UPS and they declined the claim once. I cant say I blame them, being as how it was in a rubermaid tub. They didnt come right out and say it, but when I talked to them they sortof indicated that if it wasnt strapped down to a pallet or crate that it wasnt thier fault. Like I said, they danced around the subject, but that was kinda the jist I got from them.

Now he has all his buddies PMing me about how great his tranny was, because they drove it or rode behind him or some crap.

Is there any way that hydraulics or clutch could cause JUST 4th to grind? When I first got it, the master was leaking. I didnt know it til it bled down after a few days, so I account that as the reason for the rest of the gears clipping when I first got it. I finally got it to bleed after hours and hours and got to the point that it was only 4th grinding, but after a couple days the master leaks down in my floorboards. I swapped my old one in and it bled in about 10 minutes without issue. No more issue other than 4th.

So I ask again, could clutch or hydraulics make only 4th grind? I have never heard such a thing. I also would think if it were damaged in shipping that we would have problems with more than just one gear. Bent forks or input??
Old 12-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Banned

I'd have to assume it was shipped without the bellhousing on it?
The input can take a lot of bouncing around on the UPS Stores floor before it'll bend. It'll most likely break first because the material is hard.

Fourth gear, as you might know, is coupled to the gear at the end of the input shaft. Thats why he's saying it got jacked around.

But if it had the bellhousing on it that would be less likely.

From what I've experienced an improperly bled system will caue it to grind in all gears, and/ or grind inconsistantly. Meaning grind in whatever gear, not the same one ever time.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

It was shipped without bellhousing.

Yeah, that is what myself and many others are thinking. But I figured I would post up here and in manual transmissions just to see if there is something I am missing. I have never heard of a clutch or hydraulic issue causing just 4th to grind. It wouldnt be so terrible if it were a 5th or 6th, but with 410 gears I am hitting 4th pretty quick.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mnypitZ
Shipper claims UPS store packaged it for him.
Call a few stores and ask if they'll ever pack your stuff and ship it rubbermaid tubs.

I remember a while ago 6 speeds inc used to ship like that but stopped because shippers would no longer accept those containers.

Heres a pic of how I get transmissions from point A to point B without damage. I lose more money on the sale because $xxx goes to shipping, yea I suck as a salesman but my buyers satisfaction rate is 100%.

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 01-06-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, he says he put it in the tub and brought it to UPS and they put cardboard in there to keep it from moving. When I got it the lid looked like it had been ripped off and smashed and retaped and there was absolutely no packaging in it. I would have never shipped it like this, and when he said he did that I cringed. But it was allready on its way, so to late to protest.

Either way I see no liability on my part. I didnt ship it in a rubermaid tub, and I have only driven it about 10 miles, if that. From my house to the light on the corner and back 8 or 10 times. So any damage was either allready there or was caused by his poor packaging. Neither is my fault.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:35 PM
Banned

Either way I see no liability on my part. I didnt ship it in a rubermaid tub, and I have only driven it about 10 miles, if that. From my house to the light on the corner and back 8 or 10 times. So any damage was either allready there or was caused by his poor packaging. Neither is my fault.
Yes, I understand you're not at fault.
You should see some other stuff I've shipped, massive packing material but the more that goes in, the bigger and heavier the package weighs so the more the SELLER loses from the sale money.

Anyway, hope you get it working.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

The tub was about 3 times the size of the tranny, so I dont think size was an issue.

Either way, thanks for the help. Looks like I am gonna end up eating this one, but if that happens people will know about it and I will file with Paypal. I certainly hope it doesnt come to that, but it isnt looking good.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

We discussed it extensively the other night. There were several guys from our local club on hand. The general consensus after seeing the tub it was shipped in, and a couple driving it, is that the seller is responsible. Whether he shipped it allready damaged or it was damaged in shipping, it is still the seller's responsibility. You just dont ship a transmission in a rubbermaid tub.

So now I wait to see.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Launching!

I myself have shipped many trannys in a rubber maid tote. I alway put packing around the trans and have never had a problem. I have shipped 4 or 5 like this with never a problem. The trans you got has had a problem before it was shipped. It's not going to gain a problem like that from shipping.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well trying to give him all the benefit of doubt that I can. I just want the damn thing fixed.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well trying to give him all the benefit of doubt that I can. I just want the damn thing fixed.
I say a refund and be done with him
Old 01-02-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Incidently Mike, KwiksilverZ28 is one of the people that actually drove the car like it is. Thanks Mike.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

It clipped 4th with me driving. It is not the hydraulics for sure. It is the transmission. Certainly not as advertised...
Old 01-03-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

I got a PM basically saying F-You, if UPS doesnt come through I am stuck eating it all, so I filed with Paypal and posted here.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/negative-...-now-what.html
Old 01-03-2009, 02:17 PM
10 Second Club

at least partial compensation
Old 01-03-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks man, and I thought he was going to but then he backed out now. Says its my fault because my negotiated price was not high enough, so I have no say in how its shipped. Not that it mattered, because once he said how it was shipped, it was allready on its way. I didnt even know UPS took items this heavy.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like bullshit to me... He should take his tranny back and give you a refund. If he didn't like the price you two negotiated, he shouldn't have sold it to you... That's not an excuse for poor shipping... And then there's the point of the tranny possibly being damaged before being shipped. JMO for your side of the story.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think, tranny woes