Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Thunder Racing or AntiVenom Performance shop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 04:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Thunder Racing or AntiVenom Performance shop?

Hows it going guys.

Ok heres the deal. Im currently deployed and when i return im defintly looking into upgrading my 99 SS its bone stock right now. Ive sent an email to Thunder Racing of Baton Rouge, LA and one to AntiVenom of Tampa, Fl. My question to you guys is, does anyone have feedback or possibly dealt either of these 2 performance shops. Im just trying to get an overall idea of which of the 2 may be better, if all at ( maybe they are both equally good at there trade ). Im looking at getting a comp XR265HR cam installed with all supportingmods, my buddy has a 05 GTO with that cam installed and ive done some research on it and all the things ive read are saying it makes a great daily driver cam. I want to have that sound that a cammed car has. but i also want it to still be a really good daily driver, so it would seem that is my best bet as far as choice of cam is concerned. So if any of you all have any inputs on either of these 2 shops. please all info would be greatly apppreciated. Take it easy.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:28 AM
Restricted User

what area do you live in?
Old 03-31-2009, 06:20 AM
Teching In

I am stationed at Barksdale AFB, in Shreveport, LA.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both shops do good work and from what I have heard have good reputations. Both have been around a while and both are full service.

I have always been a proponent of using a shop local to you just in case there is an issue then they would at least be somewhat local. But with that said I get a lot of folks from all over the southeast that travel to FL to use my services.

That cam is a smaller cam at 212/218 114 and would definitely make a good daily driver, but I would be thinking a bit larger personally and still be a good daily driver, like a 224/230 114. Of course this depends on the car and trans you have.

If you have a auto trans car and do not want to change the converter, then the 212/218 will be good and I have used up to a 218/226 115 ro 116 with good results and a stock converter. With an M6 car a 224/230 114 would be my choice.

Hope this helps.

Mike Norris
Old 03-31-2009, 06:51 AM
On The Tree

antivenom is nice little shop, they tuned my car and seemed noligible that being said, if you live closer to thunder racing that`s where i`d go. i`ve been to and read about a bunch of different shop and to be honest i think they`re all just about the same
Old 03-31-2009, 06:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike Norris
Both shops do good work and from what I have heard have good reputations. Both have been around a while and both are full service.

I have always been a proponent of using a shop local to you just in case there is an issue then they would at least be somewhat local. But with that said I get a lot of folks from all over the southeast that travel to FL to use my services.

That cam is a smaller cam at 212/218 114 and would definitely make a good daily driver, but I would be thinking a bit larger personally and still be a good daily driver, like a 224/230 114. Of course this depends on the car and trans you have.

If you have a auto trans car and do not want to change the converter, then the 212/218 will be good and I have used up to a 218/226 115 ro 116 with good results and a stock converter. With an M6 car a 224/230 114 would be my choice.

Hope this helps.

Mike Norris
^^^^^^
also a good shop
Old 03-31-2009, 06:54 AM
Teching In

yea car is an automatic, i see. Yea im thinkn just for the distance alone i may end up using Thunder Racing. that way if something was to ( god forbid ) go wrong, i would be relativly close to the people that had origanlly installed the parts. thanks for the info. As said before it is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:23 AM
Launching!

Ive had nothing but great service from Greg at Anti Venom.He tuned my car and I was very pleased.He really loves what he is doing and makes time to shoot the breeze
Old 03-31-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Greg @ AntiVenom is awesome. They've helped me out on a lot of different projects, and the guy is hilarious. Lots of laughs over the years.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KizerSS
Hows it going guys.

Ok heres the deal. Im currently deployed and when i return im defintly looking into upgrading my 99 SS its bone stock right now. Ive sent an email to Thunder Racing of Baton Rouge, LA and one to AntiVenom of Tampa, Fl. My question to you guys is, does anyone have feedback or possibly dealt either of these 2 performance shops. Im just trying to get an overall idea of which of the 2 may be better, if all at ( maybe they are both equally good at there trade ). Im looking at getting a comp XR265HR cam installed with all supportingmods, my buddy has a 05 GTO with that cam installed and ive done some research on it and all the things ive read are saying it makes a great daily driver cam. I want to have that sound that a cammed car has. but i also want it to still be a really good daily driver, so it would seem that is my best bet as far as choice of cam is concerned. So if any of you all have any inputs on either of these 2 shops. please all info would be greatly apppreciated. Take it easy.
Come on man, you know the goat is an '04. If you want to wait until I get back from my deployment next year, you can have the cam when I upgrade
Old 04-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Wink

it was a typo.. but whats the difference 04...05.. lol
Old 04-01-2009, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

it was a typo.. but whats the difference 04...05.. lol
Stock hood, rear bumper, engine, etc. Not much, but enough. Come on man, I think you should go bigger than the cam I have. I know you'll be happier
Old 04-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Lightbulb

who knows man, ive sent emails to Thunder Racing, AntiVenom, and Spartan racing, no response back yet. but im sure it may take them a day or 2 to compile a parts list .

as for the cam, i want to be able to keep stock trnny, and stock torque converter.. but who knows. well see what happens. like i said.. i may wnd up just scratching the whole idea all together, and just doing lid ( already have it. its sittn at hoopers ), GMMG chambered exhaust, and Kooks LTs, tune and of course TT2s i was also thinkn if i do end up goignt hat route. where im doing minor upgrades ill get the scoop painted black and get the back panel painted black as well with chrome lettering, and slap the GMMG badge on the back

then again.. who knows... no responses back from the shops so everything is still up in the air. plus. i still got like a month and some change int he hell hole. the UAE sucks ***. haha
Old 04-01-2009, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

who knows man, ive sent emails to Thunder Racing, AntiVenom, and Spartan racing, no response back yet. but im sure it may take them a day or 2 to compile a parts list .

as for the cam, i want to be able to keep stock trnny, and stock torque converter.. but who knows. well see what happens. like i said.. i may wnd up just scratching the whole idea all together, and just doing lid ( already have it. its sittn at hoopers ), GMMG chambered exhaust, and Kooks LTs, tune and of course TT2s i was also thinkn if i do end up goignt hat route. where im doing minor upgrades ill get the scoop painted black and get the back panel painted black as well with chrome lettering, and slap the GMMG badge on the back

then again.. who knows... no responses back from the shops so everything is still up in the air. plus. i still got like a month and some change int he hell hole. the UAE sucks ***. haha

If you want to go that route, you should just pick up a v6 and make that look pretty. Your SS is begging for more power, and you should listen
Old 04-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Teching In

FINALLY i got a response back from Josh at Spartan Performance. hes putting together a list of recommended parts for me. lets see what happens. He has some awesome rates

"I charge $350 for cam installs on F-bodies, and $300 for tuning. If you get them both together, I can do a package deal for $600 built/tuned on the cam install. "

pretty damn good, considering everywhere else is like 500-700 for install alone. from what ive seen.

be kinda cool to come down to see you and stacie, and the SS already has a cam and all youll hear me comming I just want the sound of a cammed car lol. I waiting 6 years to get an SS that i could afford. now that i got it, i want more power lol.. and yes i know the SS is beggin for more power.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

FINALLY i got a response back from Josh at Spartan Performance. hes putting together a list of recommended parts for me. lets see what happens. He has some awesome rates

"I charge $350 for cam installs on F-bodies, and $300 for tuning. If you get them both together, I can do a package deal for $600 built/tuned on the cam install. "

pretty damn good, considering everywhere else is like 500-700 for install alone. from what ive seen.

be kinda cool to come down to see you and stacie, and the SS already has a cam and all youll hear me comming I just want the sound of a cammed car lol. I waiting 6 years to get an SS that i could afford. now that i got it, i want more power lol.. and yes i know the SS is beggin for more power.
Sounds good man. That would be sweet if you came down here with your car done- we could terrorize the ricers together!
Old 04-06-2009, 06:10 AM
Teching In

I spent years at Barksdale and finally got my parole from there, but I had to retire to get it.

Thunder Racing will do you right. I have seen their work first hand. You cannot go wrong.

I don't know if he is still there, but there was a Buff pilot named Cam Warren in the 11th. He has a user account here under the handle of Z06Cam but has not been on for awhile. He can give you a first hand account of Thunder.

Quick Reply: Thunder Racing or AntiVenom Performance shop?