Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Big Thanks to Jeremy Formato at Fasterproms

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Big Thanks to Jeremy Formato at Fasterproms

I bought a 2001 SS a few months ago with 37k miles on it. It had a ton of parts....some of which probably did not belong together. Not going into too much detail there.

Suffice it to say it had
stage 2 heads
230+ dur and .600+ lift cam
aftermarket rockers
Comp R lifters
FAST intake 90mm
FAST TB 90mm
tuning from the original installer and then a bit of tuning from another local guy.

It supposedly made 425 rwhp after all this stuff was installed back in 03 or 04. However it was sold to the guy I bought it from and he had it dynoed and it made around 345 rwhp. Obviously something was up. At that time that particular owner had the shop do a bit of tweaking on the tune and they managed 385 rwhp. Still far below what it should have been with all those high dollar parts. It also drove like ***. Surged and stumbled and bucked.

So I bought it and began the task of redoing the top end with basic no nonsense parts with the goal of making a daily driver and not spending a ton of money.
stock untouched 241 heads
single behive springs
very small comp cam 222/224 .566 lift 112
stock rockers
stock unported TB
stock MAF
LS6 intake
stock used LS6 lifters

The goal was to make decent power and have near stock drivability and reliability. This car is now a daily driver and I want it to go 100k miles before messing with anything.

Took it to Jeremy Yesterday and he spent some time correcting the tune...which was not so good. We did some drivability tuning and lots of part throttle stuff first. Then we drove to the dyno so Jeremy could do the final WOT tuning.

Final numbers were 390.81 rwhp and 380.80 rwtq
Not massive numbers for sure...but keep in mind this is basically a small cam only car. Other mods include Hooker LT's, underdrive pulley, lid, magnaflow catback. Thats it.
The car drives like stock. No bucking , no stalling, idle quality is great and I can cruise at 950-1050 in 6th gear and its as smooth as butter.

I tell you...with the parts and new tune... its a new car that is now ENJOYABLE to drive.

It may get some mildly touched up 243's in the future to bring it above 410 rwhp. But thats it.

Anyways I cant say enough about Jeremy and Fasterproms. Thanks for the help!

video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paFkBAZqexA

Last edited by 383LQ4SS; 07-08-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Teching In

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7khswycnxdk

Looks like I need to pay Jeremy a visit.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

Jeremy's the man! One of the best tuners in america. I've taken tons of cars to him and everyone comes out perfect.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah man. I recommend Jeremy to anyone that I know who needs tuning. He's the only one who will touch my car.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

He did a great job on my car! Don't get a tune when the roads are wet. It makes for a boring ride home : )
Old 07-08-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Veteran

I just realized...Jeremy has been tuning my cars for about 10 years or so.

And Mike...guess what...it was raining the entire day....AND the day after.
I finally was able to take it around the block a few hours ago...it feels great.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Al, I have a 9" with some 4.88's for ya J/K You always find a nice clean F-Body
Old 07-09-2011, 12:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Street Racer
Al, I have a 9" with some 4.88's for ya J/K You always find a nice clean F-Body
HAHA...no way. The car had a Moser 12 bolt when I bought it. Sold it and stuck a stock 10 bolt back on it. I am over the hill!!
Old 07-09-2011, 07:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad to see her doing well!
Old 07-09-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DYING BREED
glad to see her doing well!
I found the damn AC leak too! You will never guess where it was...lol.

It was at the receiver dryer...under the band clamp. It looks like at some point the reciever dryer had arced against the positve battery terminal that was right next to it and it burned a small hole in the casing...but since it was under the clamp...it still held pressure for short periods. So I finally got the AC going too.

Now its off to the body shop to get her cleaned up and that little ding fixed and she will be 100% road worthy.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

damn, wish i checked that... you will have to post pics when done...
Old 07-18-2011, 10:24 AM
7 Second Club

Good to hear another positive Jeremy story. I watched him tune rides for about a year before having him work the tune on my Formula. Was very pleased with the results, thus my GMC got his keyboard taps as well.

Derek
Old 07-18-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Villain281H
Good to hear another positive Jeremy story. I watched him tune rides for about a year before having him work the tune on my Formula. Was very pleased with the results, thus my GMC got his keyboard taps as well.

Derek
He is the man. Its hard to believe...but when he was doing this tune we were thinking back about all the stuff we have done over the years. I got into LS1s in 99...Ed Wright did a mail order tune for me then as well. My heads and cam 99 LS1 made a wopping 368 rwhp. It was just after this that I met Jeremy and he started tuning my cars. So Jeremy has been tuning my personal cars now for roughly 12 years!!!!!!

With that in mind and the fact that Jeremy travels very frequently to where his customers are...he has probably tuned more LS cars than just about anyone out there.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:37 PM
7 Second Club

Ah yes, I remember when mail order tunes were pretty much the only option. What convinced me to have Jeremy tune my car is he spent 5+ hours on a guy's GTO getting it right even after the shop where he finished the dyno part had closed up for the night. So they were doing the "street tune" for what seemed like a couple hours and it had gotten past midnight, and the guy was like "the tune is good enough" and Jeremy said "I'm not getting out until you're 100% happy." Two more "passes" and they were finished, but I know the owner left knowing Jeremy did everything he could.

Derek
Old 07-18-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Villain281H
Ah yes, I remember when mail order tunes were pretty much the only option. What convinced me to have Jeremy tune my car is he spent 5+ hours on a guy's GTO getting it right even after the shop where he finished the dyno part had closed up for the night. So they were doing the "street tune" for what seemed like a couple hours and it had gotten past midnight, and the guy was like "the tune is good enough" and Jeremy said "I'm not getting out until you're 100% happy." Two more "passes" and they were finished, but I know the owner left knowing Jeremy did everything he could.

Derek
Yeah...I have had to kick him off my car a few times.

Quick Reply: Big Thanks to Jeremy Formato at Fasterproms