Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Build Thread! will keep adding Pics onto end Update5

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those look great sitting on the motor I love the anodized engraved look just makes it pop. And it's funny you mention the coils ran into another last week we have about a dozen different coil brackets to fit all the coils available. GM can't make up there mind.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Build Update Canton oil pan

Some of you wanted the details, so here they are:
1. Installed the oil pressure sending unit. I have the valley cover that seals off the oil ports that turn half the cylinders off. That has a raised boss for the oil pressure sending unit. The original F-Body would be stupid high so I did this.
I found a "suppose to fit LS1" short 1 wire oil pressure sending unit new on Ebay. Well the stock fitting on the cover is 16mm and the sending unit is 10mm. No problem ordered a brass 16mm to 18 npt adapter and drilled and tapped it to 10mm.

I also tapped the block for the left side Knock sensor and mounted the right side one.

I was going to go with stock pan and the modified Hamburger screw on remote adapter but I was never really thrilled with the look.

So, I talked myself into the Canton Pan.
TO cover my ***. I saw in their specs that you needed a stock 3.66 stroke to use their pan. I talked to their engineer at PRI. He said no problem with a 4" stroke. I called him in Aug. to confirm and what do you know he doesn't work there anymore but the guy who took his place said sure it shouldn't be a problem out to 4.125. BULLSHIT. See below the work necessary to clear the crank.

This is finished

Old 09-14-2011, 10:13 PM
FormerVendor

sick man...
Old 09-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Teching In

AAwsome as useuall
Old 09-17-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It cant all go smooth just be glad you checked before firing it up!!!!!
When are we going to get together again at the track or is your ta down untill the swap?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

No car stills running around but hope to have the motor out in the next 2 weeks. Problem is I've been traveling alot. How are you guys doing?
Ed
Old 09-23-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

So do you have a 4" or 4.125 stroke, I got confused there. I'm using a 4.125 to build my 455 stroker and have been sweating the oil pan issue myself. Did you not find a pan that would work, or is that you just liked the Canton that much to mod it?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:26 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice build. I have a lot of the similar things upcoming with my stock L92 short block. I broke my original LS1 oil pressure sending unit. I'm going to need a short 1 wire sensor, but I think I have the same valley cover as you do. Does it look like this?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/13318428-post77.html
I used google images to find "L92 valley cover" and my picture was the 4th one to show up. :jets:

I'd like to find one that drops right in there.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

got stock front calipers laying around? lol jk.. nice build. lovin the covers.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

Default yea same cover

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Nice build. I have a lot of the similar things upcoming with my stock L92 short block. I broke my original LS1 oil pressure sending unit. I'm going to need a short 1 wire sensor, but I think I have the same valley cover as you do. Does it look like this?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/13318428-post77.html
I used google images to find "L92 valley cover" and my picture was the 4th one to show up. :jets:

I'd like to find one that drops right in there.
yea same cover as I have
Old 09-25-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

Default I have 4.00" stroke

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
So do you have a 4" or 4.125 stroke, I got confused there. I'm using a 4.125 to build my 455 stroker and have been sweating the oil pan issue myself. Did you not find a pan that would work, or is that you just liked the Canton that much to mod it?
I wanted to use the Canton cover because it has the outputs for the remote canister filter and accu-sump.
Ed
Old 09-25-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Regular

Default stock front calipers

Originally Posted by stephen4036
got stock front calipers laying around? lol jk.. nice build. lovin the covers.
Might be getting the Baer set up from my son how soon do you need them?
ed
Old 09-25-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

Default Engine lift bracket different design

I made this up when I realized I need to lift my engine off the engine stand while the car is up on the lift. I didn't want to romve the valley cover and pay $50.00 for a bracket. What you guys think? The side turn buckles hold no weight they just allow you to tilt the motor if you need too.
It attaches via the 6 water pump bolts and 3 of the bellhousing bolts.

I also reinforce the overhead beam as I was concerned with the weight holding capacity of the ceiling.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

What would you charge to mod another canton, or do you know if anyone makes a pan for a 4.125 stroke?

Question about your valley cover choice... I was going to go with a GTO vented cover and since I will be running a Vic Jr intake, I think it would look sick with the vents show through the runners. Is there a reason you didn't use the vented cover, or did you even give it thought? Thanks man!
Old 09-25-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BRD-PREY
No car stills running around but hope to have the motor out in the next 2 weeks. Problem is I've been traveling alot. How are you guys doing?
Ed
Me and the wife are good but i got laid off two months so my new motor is going to have to wait for w while but now im having eletricalor bad computer problems some days its fine other days it runs like crap and it throws like 10 codes and says i have 34 degrees of timing at idle and it drives me nuts because i cant figure it out and i cant have fun with it i just have to put around and its fine so yeah bad to worse.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

just got ones from autozone, im good now
Old 09-26-2011, 04:54 PM
10 Second Club

I'm gonna start my own thread about being jealous to this thread. I need somewhere to cry.

JK Bad *** build so far though.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Default Valley cover

What would you charge to mod another canton, or do you know if anyone makes a pan for a 4.125 stroke?

Question about your valley cover choice... I was going to go with a GTO vented cover and since I will be running a Vic Jr intake, I think it would look sick with the vents show through the runners. Is there a reason you didn't use the vented cover, or did you even give it thought? Thanks man!
Not sure what you mean, vented cover, my valley cover has the vacuum hose connect in the front for the pcv. I have to use that cover because it seals off the displacement on demand ports of the ls3 block.
$50 to modify your pan if you cut where it needs to clear and bring it over.
Ed
Old 09-26-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BRD-PREY
Not sure what you mean, vented cover, my valley cover has the vacuum hose connect in the front for the pcv. I have to use that cover because it seals off the displacement on demand ports of the ls3 block.
$50 to modify your pan if you cut where it needs to clear and bring it over.
Ed
lol... I just read what I wrote and was like WTF am I talking about... for some reason I was thinking of the engine covers and I guess valley cover at the same time.... who knows

****... I'll give you $100 to do the cutting too, lol... I have no clue on where I would need to cut. I will deff keep this in mind if I can't find an alternative
Old 09-27-2011, 09:11 AM
TECH Regular

Default Cutting

lol... I just read what I wrote and was like WTF am I talking about... for some reason I was thinking of the engine covers and I guess valley cover at the same time.... who knows

****... I'll give you $100 to do the cutting too, lol... I have no clue on where I would need to cut. I will deff keep this in mind if I can't find an alternative
I just mounted the pan no gaskets, then rotate the crank both ways and you will have witness marks in the soft aluminum. That how you know what to cut. Then mount it back on to check it.
Ed

Quick Reply: Build Thread! will keep adding Pics onto end Update5