Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

South FL Transmission Builders?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default South FL Transmission Builders?????

I am looking to get a transmission built for my 95 Impala SS. I am trying to stay in the state for easy resolution of any problems that may arise. I will trave, but Ft Lauderdale area is where I am located. Looking for shops that I can go to have a 4l60e built for about 500-600 HP reliably. Also a list of shops to avoid

Any comments, opinions or recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Restricted User

Save yourself the headache and find a 4l80e in a junk yard and then bring it to Lashway Motorsports for the rebuilt.

Don't waste your time with a 4l60e if you are going to me making that much power
Old 01-13-2012, 08:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sully28
Save yourself the headache and find a 4l80e in a junk yard and then bring it to Lashway Motorsports for the rebuilt.

Don't waste your time with a 4l60e if you are going to me making that much power
Don't waste the money putting a 4l80 in the car unless you plan on building the car to have more than 650 hp. A properly built 4l60e will work just fine at your planned power level all day long. It takes years of building these units to get them to last,and there are plenty of people that have done it that way successfully.

Last edited by 72blownvert; 01-13-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 4l80e. I'll never put a 60e in another performance car, they're utter crap when it comes down to it, especially in a heavy vehicle like a caprice. Even the best built 60e's don't last that long behind decent power. The 4l80 doesnt use bands to shift, no aluminum parts inside, and has the shaft diameters to handle real torque.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

4l80...

Last edited by Blackbird-WS6; 08-04-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 72blownvert
Don't waste the money putting a 4l80 in the car unless you plan on building the car to have more than 650 hp. A properly built 4l60e will work just fine at your planned power level all day long. It takes years of building these units to get them to last,and there are plenty of people that have done it that way successfully.
Let's see.. what do you need to handle 600 wheel RELIABLY in the two transmissions...

80e -
Transgo shift kit (dual feed directs)
Reverse booster valve (prevent case blow-apart, I think it might come in the transgo kit anyways.)

60e -

Billet Accumulator Pistons,
Modified Pump Assembly
Oversized Boost Valve
Transgo Hi-Rev Release Springs
Better Frictions and Bushings
Transgo Shift kit
Borg Warner dual cage 29 element Input Sprag
Sonnax 4th gear billet servo kit,
Billet 2nd gear Servo kit
Wide rear sun gear bushing
Heavy duty sun gear shell "The Beast"
Upgraded Bearing Type Reaction Carrier Shaft
Wide High Energy 2-4 Band
4L65E 5 Pinion OEM Front and Rear Planetary Set
High Energy 7 friction clutch pack
Input drum Steel sleeve prevents input drum breakage at spline area
High RPM Transgo pump slide spring and pump rings.

Oh, and do a search for "broke my built 4l60e" and you'll have your answer. What a royal waste of time on that POS tranny. I'm sure you love the 4l60e because you make money hand-over-fist rebuilding them when people break them.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A propperly built 4L60e will handle 500-600hp no problem. Inexperienced builders give these transmissions a bad rap unfortunately. Just because you throw a bunch of good parts into a transmission doesn't mean its going to last. A transmissions is the same as an engine. You can put a Lunati billet crank, GRP aluminum rods, an amazing set of coated Diamond pistons, Calico bearings and a set of Mast Mozez heads on it with a BECK sheet metal intake. If you don't know what the hell you are doing with it when you assemble it, the thing is going to fly apart in a million pieces as soon as you fire it up.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
A propperly built 4L60e will handle 500-600hp no problem. Inexperienced builders give these transmissions a bad rap unfortunately. Just because you throw a bunch of good parts into a transmission doesn't mean its going to last. A transmissions is the same as an engine. You can put a Lunati billet crank, GRP aluminum rods, an amazing set of coated Diamond pistons, Calico bearings and a set of Mast Mozez heads on it with a BECK sheet metal intake. If you don't know what the hell you are doing with it when you assemble it, the thing is going to fly apart in a million pieces as soon as you fire it up.
This is completely true, and you guys have done amazing things with the 60e... however, it's like building an engine with an aluminum block compared to one made of plastic. The design of the 60e is poor. It was never meant to handle a high horsepower vehicle. Shifting with bands is stupid. Aluminum input shell is stupid. Having to upgrade EVERY SINGLE part in a transmission to make it live, is stupid. Why not just start with something that's rated at 700 ft-lb instead of 360? Steel pump, steel drums, massive output shaft, massive torque capacity, proven design (TH400) vs a polished up 700R4 that's living on the edge. Same reason you don't throw thousands of dollars at a 10 bolt. You start with a 9", and don't look back. I don't care about 60 extra pounds, I also don't flinch when I release the transbrake button at 15psi. Dang this thread has gotten off-topic, haha.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Lauderdale Tranny Builder?

Thread is a couple years old, but...Did we ever get any recomendations for a shop or shops in Fort Lauderdale for a well built 4L60E? I too might need one in the future. Thanks everyone.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

PredatorTA on here is who you need to talk to for your florida transmission needs
Old 08-13-2014, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If I can help let me know
Old 08-26-2014, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 72blownvert

I will stand behind Jon's words, His shop built my 4L60E in 02' or 03' for less than 2k. Mine has been pounded with hundreds of hours of street abuse along with countless 1.5-60' track passes. No mechanical failure.
Thanks Jon for building me a great 4L60E

Quick Reply: South FL Transmission Builders?????