Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Moving To Tampa Need Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving To Tampa Need Ideas

Hey guys, im moving from Northern VA to Tampa in March. I am going to be working at MacDill AFB. What i need some idea's on is where the hell to live. I have been looking for apartments, townhomes, condo's, houses to rent in all the surrounding area's and have become a bit overwhealmed. The hardest thing to determine is how safe an area is, which is one criteria im looking for. SO if anyone has any ideas on good places that are under $1300 for a 2BD/2BD or less and has a garage whether attached or on site. PLEASE post up. Ideally i want to be 30 minutes or less of a drive to that base.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For that drive time and price range maybe the Wesley Chapel/Zephyrhills area?
I've lived in or near Hernando County since 1998, seems fairly quiet here, but then you are looking at an hour commute.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Banned

Thanks man. I am originally from Ocala but havent lived there in almost 9 years. Only been to Tampa 2 times. per Google Maps, Wesley Chapel is a 45 minute drive to MacDill. i really want to stay within 30 minutes.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem, hopefully people who live right in the area will come in and give you some ideas. I'm not much of a city person myself, even up here in Hernando/Pasco it is too crowded for my tastes on some days.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Launching!

The citrus park area is nice. It's probably a 25-30 min drive to the base. Everything you can think of in the area. That or maybe the Brandon area. Depends on what you are looking for.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Yeah Wesley Chapel is a little farther than you might like and Z-hills is even farther. Wesley Chapel is a nice area though. Land O' Lakes is in the same area and a bit closer. Brandon is across town, east of downtown. Macdill is southwest of downtown. Citrus Park/Westchase is nice and not far from Macdill. St. Pete is just across the bridge, but I'm not familiar with any residential areas.

I'd go to apartments.com and type in the zip code 33626. Also, there may be places in St. Pete worth considering due to high auto insurance rates in Tampa right now. Generally the rates in St. Pete are cheaper.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Banned

thanks for the help. still looking around. found a couple "nice" places in Seffner, and Westchase. Anyone know anything about the Camden property's? They seem to have a few in the area, Camden Bay Pointe, Camden Citrus Park, Camden Woods. What about the complex called The Cove on Westshore Blvd?
Old 03-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Teching In

The Camden apartment properties are nice. Stay away from the Cove....and definitely stay away from Seffner....it has the nickname of "Meth-ner" for a reason!
Old 03-05-2012, 05:42 AM
Teching In

i live in seffner, and that aint no joke! i drive 20 minutes away from here just to go to brandon or valrico's walmart and grocery stores.

a lot of macdill employees live in fishhawk ranch, in riverview, but that is easily an hour away. if you found something nice in brandon, you could hop on the crosstown expressway and take it over to south tampa. not a bad drive.

carrollwood is a nice area, but i dont know how costly it is.

i'd hate to deal with the traffic across any of the bridges to st pete or clearwater.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

I live in westchase and like it allot there, I also work on Macdill. What kind of things are you into so I can make sure you look at a location that not only is close but isn't far from the things you like to do. If you like clubbing the Channelside and Hyde Park area's aren't bad. If you like fishing the Camdens on westhore or the few complexes on Brighton bay in St. Pete would work. If you like golfing, biking, or running Westchase would be nice.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:10 PM
11 Second Club

i'm doing the exact same thing haha.

nova to tampa, but i lived in orlando 7 years ago haha.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Banned

wow great info guys, i will make sure i stay away from meth town.

I do not do the whole club scene. give me some nice places to eat and some good bars and I am set.

i really dont want more than a 30-40 minute commute. cant seem to find rentals with a garage available. I have my Camaro and my truck. my truck can stay outside its the Camaro i want to put in a garage if possible
Old 03-06-2012, 05:06 AM
Teching In

carrollwood has all kinds of nice retail shops, good restaurants o'plenty, with some bars sprinkled in. golf course kind of people mostly.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Channelside is nice. I wouldn't exactly call it clubbing. That might be more of the Hyde Park thing. There's also Macdinton's and The Dubliner. You don't have to move near those places to enjoy them though.

You'll want to stay in west or south Tampa basically, if you do Tampa as opposed to Pinellas county.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Banned

I found a place in Carrollwood which i think is in the Northdale area. it's right off the Dale Mabry and is literally a straight shot south to the base. Anybody now about this area?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cookba
I found a place in Carrollwood which i think is in the Northdale area. it's right off the Dale Mabry and is literally a straight shot south to the base. Anybody now about this area?
know it well I live 5 minutes from there there a quite a few air force in the area that I have met and seen them driving around over the years. from my experience though the commute in morning traffic will be 30 minutes because of dale mabry traffic.

honestly brandon area is a good choice because the selmon expressway will take you from there right down to just a couple miles from base and it will be around your commute range.

if you want, pm me we can talk, I've been here since I was born and my dad is a contractor so there aren't many ways I haven't driven
Old 04-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Banned

Thanks for everyones help. I moved into the Carrollwood area a couple weeks ago and have liked it so far, Dale Mabry traffic sucks but it doesnt hold a flame to Northern VA.

On a side note, any one have a good detailer with a reputation and good prices? my car needs a real detail BAD

what about an autobody shop? I need a dent and some scratches fixed on my truck

Also need a good tranny shop. the Camaro is acting funny around 45-60 might be the TC.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replied to your pm but you hadn't asked about the tranny, best in the area Tim moye on 41 (Florida ave/Nebraska) north of bearss a few miles just google it it'll come up

Quick Reply: Moving To Tampa Need Ideas