Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Orlando speed world in trouble/closing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 07:40 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
Carl is the reason OSW has declined over the years. He did YOU a favor by letting you run a car there, not by patronizing the business. Basically that kind of attitude towards racers and spectators.
According to what I've heard, Randy has been running that track as much if not more than Carl for a while now. Carl and Randy don't see eye-to-eye, and with Carl wanting to race more (running a super clean '60 Mopar Super stock car), I think the writing was on the wall.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by white1999z71
The whole wal mart rumor is false wal Mart bought joes truck parts out there and are buying the junkyard next to joes and are gonna build a center there they will be open next year is what I was just told, though they do need cooperation from new symerna speedway to get more big events. So I'm guessing they need cooperation from the heart family who own both property's
rumors happen,

Fed Ex was supposed to buy all the land where Lk Pickett and Chuluota Rd back in the mid 90's that didn't happen, hopefully they move somewhere else,
Old 07-26-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's going to be a sad day for either track to close down because it's a place where cars guys go to gather and have some safe fun without breaking laws or putting others at risk and by closing them the amount of street races and tickets will rise because people are going to race regardless.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
i thought they where making a track in palm bay, whatever happened with that?
It was supposed to be a complex (road course,oval,.25 mile drag strip)behind the flea market off 95 and they had the land the track layouts and where even on the nhra schedule for races but when the main investor passed away his family took his money and ran and it all fell apart. My old boss was one of the investors involved and tried to find other investors but the group as a whole decided to walk away for there own reasons and now the county has changed there ways to prevent anyone from ever being able to put a track in.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn that sucks. Been out of the whole car scene. We used to go all the time about 10 years ago to watch or a couple people would run here and there. Had a 3rd gen back then. Then all the rice flooded in when Fast and the Furious came out and it was a joke. Could get like 2 runs in per night. Then lost interest and stopped going completely. It used to be good cheap fun.

However, we went out there about 6 months ago to watch and had a great time. All the rice was gone and was just a bunch of fast cars. Quite a few 8-9 sec cars. I was quite surprised. I thought it was the best it had been in years, really sorry to hear this. Times are changing I guess. There really needs to be a place to keep the clowns off the street though.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by firebird99
It was supposed to be a complex (road course,oval,.25 mile drag strip)behind the flea market off 95 and they had the land the track layouts and where even on the nhra schedule for races but when the main investor passed away his family took his money and ran and it all fell apart. My old boss was one of the investors involved and tried to find other investors but the group as a whole decided to walk away for there own reasons and now the county has changed there ways to prevent anyone from ever being able to put a track in.
I heard it was a noise problem, supposedly there was some testing done with a Malibu and a sound meter, thats what I heard long ago,

All the Rice went to CFRC, thank you, please stay there!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

I Disagree with EC_Nova CFRC is way better than speed world and they pay out alot more for races and take racer input. I agree with Badhombre lakeland is great just started racing there and leading the points love the track and people.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fonzi383
I Disagree with EC_Nova CFRC is way better than speed world and they pay out alot more for races and take racer input. I agree with Badhombre lakeland is great just started racing there and leading the points love the track and people.
Point made. Pay out has diminished over the years at "Spin World". I've heard it over and over from many racers that have given up racing there and started driving over to St. Pete and Bradenton. Catering to racers and what their input might be keeps the car count up, obviously. No race cars, no spectators= no cash flow and there goes the quality.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve68
I heard it was a noise problem, supposedly there was some testing done with a Malibu and a sound meter, thats what I heard long ago,

All the Rice went to CFRC, thank you, please stay there!!!
There was a concern with noise but when they where doing the testing from the trailer park (Opposite side of I-95) so they also had the interstate noise in there favor to help cancel out the race noise. He also said they went as far as having people in multiple cars,trucks and big trucks driving back and forth on I-95 during the testing to pass and they did. One of the biggest problems once the main money guy passed was instead of waiting to find another backer they thought they could sell the land and profit from that since it was at the uprise of the economic bubble we had a few years back and since then the county has changed codes and zoning to the point that it can't be done there again regardless of what they try(assuming anyone ever bought the land again) but that will never happen because the county now has plans to build a road parallel to I95 from viera to malabar but since there's no money it won'tF happen but it will prevent any further developing if the area.

They also were trying to build a track a few years back down in micco I believe but before it could even get going the county came in and closed down the atv track they already had there.

Quick Reply: Orlando speed world in trouble/closing?