Sebring
0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

If Orlando does end up shutting down

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Central Florida Racing Complex, in orlando just between the turnpike and airport south of vineland
Old 12-09-2012, 09:01 AM
10 & 11 Second Club

The rumor mill about Speedworld has been in full swing for the last 4 months. Shelby wont give up any info (track manager) even though I've been friends with her for many years. Ozzy has talked to me at length when I race at Lakeland , he has been trying to take over Carl Weisingers lease since summertime and several times they had a handshake agreement but Carl would change the terms after. There has been other rumors of different people buying the lease and/or property.

The Hart family owns the property and the Orlando oval track also New Smyrna Speedway. Carl has 1 more year on the lease of the dragstrip everyone thought he had 2 more years. In the last few days I have learned from an IHRA official and a local dragstrip owner that the property owned by the Hart family has been sold to a new owner that owns a well known NHRA track out west. There was also someone at Orlando Speedworld Fri night hanging out and I was told by the IHRA official that he was the track manager for the dragstrip in Dubai which is owned by Shake Kalid (Al-Anabi).
Carl Weisinger has also supposedly decided to keep operating the track with Shelby as manager for the last year of the lease. That would probably mean the normal Speedworld races and bracket racing starting in the middle of Jan with bracket racing starting the 3rd week of Jan.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Caveman
The rumor mill about Speedworld has been in full swing for the last 4 months. Shelby wont give up any info (track manager) even though I've been friends with her for many years. Ozzy has talked to me at length when I race at Lakeland , he has been trying to take over Carl Weisingers lease since summertime and several times they had a handshake agreement but Carl would change the terms after. There has been other rumors of different people buying the lease and/or property.

The Hart family owns the property and the Orlando oval track also New Smyrna Speedway. Carl has 1 more year on the lease of the dragstrip everyone thought he had 2 more years. In the last few days I have learned from an IHRA official and a local dragstrip owner that the property owned by the Hart family has been sold to a new owner that owns a well known NHRA track out west. There was also someone at Orlando Speedworld Fri night hanging out and I was told by the IHRA official that he was the track manager for the dragstrip in Dubai which is owned by Shake Kalid (Al-Anabi).
Carl Weisinger has also supposedly decided to keep operating the track with Shelby as manager for the last year of the lease. That would probably mean the normal Speedworld races and bracket racing starting in the middle of Jan with bracket racing starting the 3rd week of Jan.

thanks for the info! It's nice to see somebody post firsthand knowledge and not just a one liner/etc based on hearsay.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Awesome!!!
Look forward to racing there.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Good to hear that it will stay open. Whoever is moving up north, Englishtown (raceway park) is good but you only get 3 runs and they give you tickets to make sure it's only 3. If you can, run at Atco, unlimited runs at test n tune with great track prep as well. If they are running an event however, you'll be lucky to get 2 runs.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^Thanks for the info, I'd hate to drive for a few hours only to get three runs, that is pretty crazy.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:39 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camar0corey
^Thanks for the info, I'd hate to drive for a few hours only to get three runs, that is pretty crazy.

They do that because it gets very crowded there. You have people from NYC going to that track as well as Jersey residents. There is also Island Dragway as well, ran there once but Atco was my favorite place to run.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm moving about 40 minutes north of Scranton, so I have the feeling nothing is really close by.

Looks like:
2hr 45 min Englishtown
3hr 9 min Atco
2 hr 40 min Maple Grove
1 hr 47 min Island Dragway

Looks like Island is actually the closest so far, this thread has gotten off topic now, but I am grateful for the input! I've always wanted to do a road course day also, I'm going to have to look into all this once I get settled up there.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by camar0corey
I'm moving about 40 minutes north of Scranton, so I have the feeling nothing is really close by.

Looks like:
2hr 45 min Englishtown
3hr 9 min Atco
2 hr 40 min Maple Grove
1 hr 47 min Island Dragway

Looks like Island is actually the closest so far, this thread has gotten off topic now, but I am grateful for the input! I've always wanted to do a road course day also, I'm going to have to look into all this once I get settled up there.
I just read that Island Dragway is now close down.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Great.... the track with less than 2 hr. drive time. Just my luck, guess I'll never live close to a 1/4 mile track. Their main website fails to load at this time, so maybe true.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:27 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah I just read that Island dragway is closed, here is a link to a forum about it. http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=531159
Old 12-13-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was hoping Ozzy would take it over, but I know that would be a huge financial obligation, after already taking over one track this year. but he has done a hell of a jpb with it and would gladly make the trip out to OSW if he were running the show. I'll wait to see what officially happens, until then lakeland or bradenton it is
Old 12-20-2012, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

Any inside news on whether the track is going to stay open?

I am really itching to run my car in the 1/4... & I'm not looking forward to driving 2.5 hrs to gainesville or even farther to Bradenton (is that a 1/4?)
Old 12-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Bradenton is a 1/4, the old Sunshine (now Showtime) Dragstrip in St. Pete is 1/8
Old 12-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Good. Glad OSW is opening back up. Heard some crazy rumor that the property was being bought by Walmart for a truck distribution center. Sounded too horrible to be true. In the mean time, I would go to Bradenton, world class with good prep.

Quick Reply: If Orlando does end up shutting down