Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

got sideswiped... need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default got sideswiped... need help

hey guys,

so i was coming home from school today around 4pm. and this lady in a bmw came out of the median and hit me. which really sucks as i just got my car back on the road two weeks ago after doing h/c/i.

anyway, i'm going to also post this in the body section because im not quite sure if this area can be fixed. i would hate to see the car totaled for such a small area. but anyway, in the next few days i need to get my car down to a body shop for estimate.

Im located right here by waterford lakes,(curryford and dean) whos close by that y'all recommend?

Last edited by ls1fan00; 01-10-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that won't total. replacement door, pull on the lower quarter/wheel well. some work witht he stud gun and some filler. then paint the door/quarter, blend on the bumper and fender and you will be good. oh after they replace the tire and wheel too probably about a $1300 job. what insurance company/coverage does she have?

btw I used to be a body man and write estimates for state farm
Old 01-10-2013, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

OH, and if the insurance adjuster comes to look at it, make sure to mention the amount of money you have in customizations. this will bring the vehicle value up and keep the repair bill farther from that ever looming 80% total amount. good luck. if you have any questions feel free to contact me, I have dealt with accidents from both sides several times lol
Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Teching In

i have full coverage with esurance. but it was her fault so i'm being told that her company (geico) is going to be paying the bill. no adjuster will be coming out. have to drive it to a shop. if i'm unable to drive they will tow it for me. i will get better pictures of the door jam but its pretty squashed in there. door opens and closes but not smoothly lol.

at what point will cutting and replacing QP be needed? because i really dont think they will be able to pull it. but i'm not a body guy lol

thanks for the information and ya i will probably be asking questions as this is my first accident.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yea you might want to consider a 1/4 skin but they have to remove the T top panel.
might be a good time to replace that anyway(hint,hint I have a black one)
I dont think $1300 will even come close myself.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Teching In

ya i need one bad... maybe i can convince them to tack that cost on depending on what they say lol. i'm really afraid of the cost of repair with cost of car. i dont want to lose the car.

what do you mean by 1/4 skin?

so does anybody know and recommend a good shop with experience with fbodies. i really dont want to just go to any shop. would really like someone that knows exactly what they are doing with my car.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Launching!

I had a kid run a stop sign and hit me in Oct. He spun me around 180* and tapped me in the front end as well requiring some paint work on my front bumper, spared my door though. My car has 93k and was not totalled. I have a bent axle, wheel and lost a tire as well.

I was quoted $1200 to straighten the quarter and blend the paint into the door. Research it, you'll be able to find someone that can do a proper fix and not gouge you financially.

Last edited by mikey67; 01-10-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

Samuels, yes they are in sanford, but it will be done and right the first time.

They do all Titans work and various other high end shops
Old 01-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Teching In

I will definitely give them a call but please keep the knowledge and suggestions coming.

anyone a little closer?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

The experience that I had with Geico is they have a junk yard of their own from cars that they total that way they have used parts to use. If they try to total the car really push them on the amount you want out of it and they will usually offer to repair. As far as the t-top bar I would look at this.... http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=227
Old 01-11-2013, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my suggestion is use your insurance company. It will get fixed quicker. You MAY have to pay your deductible if the vehicle gets repaired before the other insurance company steps in, but if that happens you get your deductible back within 30 days. It won't affect your premium. As for body shops, stay as far away from R&R collision in Apopka as you can. Worst work I have ever seen in my life, and they don't stand behind it.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:53 AM
Teching In

heres another pic of the jam.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

that's gonna be more than $1300.the last do we bought for an insurance job on a 4th gen was $400 alone.add everything else wrong and it starts adding up.im guessing or hoping a used quarter is what they will write up.trying to fix that mess would just make it more of a mess.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree its going to be way more then 1300. Had a friend get hit in the same place. No door damage. Just some light filler on the rear 1/4 and repaint and it was $1100. The other person ins paid
Old 01-11-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1fan00
ya i need one bad... maybe i can convince them to tack that cost on depending on what they say lol. i'm really afraid of the cost of repair with cost of car. i dont want to lose the car.

what do you mean by 1/4 skin?

so does anybody know and recommend a good shop with experience with fbodies. i really dont want to just go to any shop. would really like someone that knows exactly what they are doing with my car.
look at the glue line inside the jam and thats where the 1/4 "skin" was attached to the body.
the upper joint is under the t top panel(this is the one Im suggesting to replace and I have that)
Get insurance to pay for replacement of t top panel,1/4 skin and wheel/tire as well as a 4 wheel alignment.
Aint no $1300 as Ive said b4. Even if its 2x that I would still fight to keep the car and not have it branded rebuilt.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Uhh its not that bad. when i had mine fixed (almost same exact damage) they replaced the door, pulled the quarter panel and painted the door and the panel all for under 1200

before:

after:

Old 01-12-2013, 01:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Zerokube
Uhh its not that bad. when i had mine fixed (almost same exact damage) they replaced the door, pulled the quarter panel and painted the door and the panel all for under 1200

before:

after:

THANK YOU

god forbid the body man knows what he's looking at. only had to go to school for 2 years for reading and writing estimates and such. BUT, word of advise, contrary to an above post, report it to your insurance company, but file the claim directly with theirs. the less you have to involve your company the better. but if anything becomes a legal disagreement, your insurance company will still provide legal representation for you and make sure your claim is handled. been through it way too many times sadly
Old 01-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Teching In

thank guys.

ya i reported to my insurance first. but have been going through theirs. speaking with the lady at geico, she says given the description, probably total loss. but i'm keeping my head up. and going by what you'll say.

if this happened a few months from now i wouldn't be so upset. its just that.....i just finished h/c/i and haven't even had time to enjoy it. back and forth to school a few times and that's it.

my insurance would like me to take it to their shop for estimate but geico will be sending their adjuster out. should i still go to my insurance's place?

their adjuster will be here sometime between monday and wednesday. so i will keep you guys updated.

thanks again.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1fan00
thank guys.

ya i reported to my insurance first. but have been going through theirs. speaking with the lady at geico, she says given the description, probably total loss. but i'm keeping my head up. and going by what you'll say.

if this happened a few months from now i wouldn't be so upset. its just that.....i just finished h/c/i and haven't even had time to enjoy it. back and forth to school a few times and that's it.

my insurance would like me to take it to their shop for estimate but geico will be sending their adjuster out. should i still go to my insurance's place?

their adjuster will be here sometime between monday and wednesday. so i will keep you guys updated.

thanks again.
I just showed the pics to my dad
He's been doing body work for over 30 years and has worked on quite a few fbodies.
He said it'll cost around $2000 and they won't total it out for that.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Florida law says vehicle is a total loss if the estimate reaches 100% of the actual cash value. The 80 percent rule is a guide for,the insurance companies, it is not a law.
Insurance companies do not own salvage yards, they have totaled cars taken there and they are auctioned, normally dealers, junk yards and some to the public.
IAA and COPART are the two major ones in Florida.
Unless your car is a rebuilt title, you look good to go on the repairs.

Quick Reply: got sideswiped... need help