Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

"Daytime Driver's License and Vehicle Inspection Checkpoints"

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 07:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Daytime Driver's License and Vehicle Inspection Checkpoints"

Read the article and see for yourself, **** is getting ridiculously out of hand. I figured I'd share this and give a heads up for the majority of people on here who aren't exactly on a stock exhaust. I dont know what the exhaust laws are but I'm pretty sure fines are a good chunk if you are catless. Either way check it out.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/tra...on-checkpoints
Old 02-06-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Glad my county isn't on the list!
Old 02-07-2013, 02:44 AM
On The Tree

this sucks
Old 02-07-2013, 07:14 AM
TECH Resident

As far as I know, there are no emissions laws in Florida correct? So being catless or having a loud exhaust should not be an issue....
I'm currently living and going to school in Hillsborough county and this is really upsetting. Few things yell "police state" more than completely unnecessary check points for our "safety".
Old 02-07-2013, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

dear Lord... The tech running one of those would probably stroke out after one look at my exhaust...
Old 02-07-2013, 08:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can they check your exhaust?? If there is no emissions control in your county where is it written that it is illegal to change or modify your exhaust? And furthermore how is your exhaust considered a safety hazard other than falling off?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2camaros6702
How can they check your exhaust?? If there is no emissions control in your county where is it written that it is illegal to change or modify your exhaust? And furthermore how is your exhaust considered a safety hazard other than falling off?
Florida law states. ANY modification to your car from FACTORY STOCK is illegal period. Putting Denso spark plugs in your car makes it illegal in FL.

All the laws are on the books from when we had emmissions, we just did away with the testing.

Here comes Califlorida
Old 02-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blacktransam
Florida law states. ANY modification to your car from FACTORY STOCK is illegal period. Putting Denso spark plugs in your car makes it illegal in FL.

All the laws are on the books from when we had emmissions, we just did away with the testing.

Here comes Califlorida
Here comes my *** finding a new state to live in!
Or country if things keep going the way they are
Old 02-07-2013, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cooldude5231
Here comes my *** finding a new state to live in!
Or country if things keep going the way they are
^This
Old 02-07-2013, 10:44 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by blacktransam

Here comes Califlorida

WoW!
Although it really does not surprise me.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Isn't removing the cats illegal at the federal level and not just state?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

federal law...but no one enforced it, i guess they had to find a new source of revenue
Old 02-07-2013, 11:46 PM
11 Second Club

Its a "vehicle safety inspection checkpoint", not an emission or noise level inspection. They are looking for stuff falling off your car or in poor state of repair. Nothing to worry about guys
Old 02-08-2013, 05:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am deep SE but I guess they will eventually do similar in our area due to the large number of decrepit vehicles and drivers on the road.

Last edited by Felix C; 02-08-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MawneeC5
Its a "vehicle safety inspection checkpoint", not an emission or noise level inspection. They are looking for stuff falling off your car or in poor state of repair. Nothing to worry about guys
I hope your being sarcastic....
Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

After a quick review of the policy directive and Chapter 316 of the Florida Vehicle Code (referenced in the inspection document) I did not see any guidelines as to how a roadside mechanical inspection is performed. From what I read offices are to look for violations of Chapter 316 with respect to numerous mechanical items. In a properly written “Policy” I would expect to see clear instructions as to how the mechanical systems are to be inspected and what constitutes a violation. It might be there but I did not read every page.

How does an officer on the side of the road inspect brakes, steering mechanism and exhaust system? It looks very open ended to me. There is a 12 point check lists but the final point is “other visible equipment” so if they can see it they can inspect it.

To me it looks like authorization to go on a “fishing expedition” on any car pulled over. I bet that somehow an officer will be able to search vehicles under the disguise of doing an inspection: “I was concerned about rust holes allowing exhaust gases into the vehicle so I checked the trunk and found….”

When I lived in California they gave the Border patrol the “right” to search vehicles for illegal persons. The funny thing is you were subject to a Border Patrol inspection even if you had never crossed the border and where actually about 60 mile north of the boarder. They weren’t supposed to be searching for anything other than people during the “random” stop. My El Camino was searched several times on drives from San Diego to LA back then. Once they looked under the floor mats and in the ash tray. I asked them “how small are the people you’re looking for?” Things went downhill after that. I pointed out that an El Camino is a very open vehicle. My wife and I were separated and interrogated. I was told in a very stern voice that I’d “be surprised where people can be hidden”. In an ash tray does surprise me. I’m still disappointed at how we were required to prove we were not doing anything wrong at a random check point.

I hope this turns out to be nothing but an inconvenience to drivers in Florida but it looks to me like an invitation to subjective treatment. Are a lot of vehicles confiscated under Zero Tolerance in the areas adopting this random inspection?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:18 AM
12 Second Club

Guys, no reason to be worried at all unless you have a suspended license or expired tag or something seriously wrong with your car. Of course you always have that 1-3 % chance of getting the **** retentive ******* that will write you for bald tires or something. FHP has done these before in my county. When they do these things they are looking for egregious violations, they most likely aren't going to give you **** if you have a valid license and your car isn't completely a hunk of ****. Also the article says they have none planned at this time. They can't search your car unless they have probable cause, or you give them consent, so just say no. They can't search it because of "exhaust fumes" like someone said nor can they confiscate your car. .

In regards to exhaust, FS states you can't modify it to make more noise than when it came from the factory.

Very rarely have I seen anyone get cited for exhaust; the few I did see had either rusted out exhaust spitting smoke everywhere or no exhaust at all, open headers. I was a Deputy Sheriff for 5 years.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/.../0316.293.html

Quick Reply: "Daytime Driver's License and Vehicle Inspection Checkpoints"