Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Help needed in Tampa area!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Help needed in Tampa area!!!

Hello all!

I am somewhat new to FL, and recently purchased a 2002 Trans Am that is giving me A-LOT of problems Of course when I test drove it, and the guy even let me use his tags for a few weeks until the title came in, the car ran AWESOME! Now it still has the problems I knew about when I got it, and a few new ones...

I am looking for someone in the Tampa area (I am specifically in Palm Harbor) to help me sort this mess out. I can offer some payment if need be- small $$$, Beer/pizza, or professional photography services ('cause that's what I do ). I know it's not much, but it's what I can offer lol

I am technically inclined and will continue to sort this out on my own, but the help of someone who knows about Trans Ams/LS1s would be greatly appreciated!!!

On a side note- if anyone in the area wants a few cool images for this site or Facebook or whatever hit me up! I am trying to get my name out there and I am always looking for something cool to add to my portfolio. And of course this will be FREE OF CHARGE Google me: Shot by Scott Photography

Thank you in advance, I hope someone can help a brother out!

Scott
Old 09-17-2013, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02PewterTTop
Hello all!

I am somewhat new to FL, and recently purchased a 2002 Trans Am that is giving me A-LOT of problems Of course when I test drove it, and the guy even let me use his tags for a few weeks until the title came in, the car ran AWESOME! Now it still has the problems I knew about when I got it, and a few new ones...

Scott
What kind of problems are we talking about? Be glad to help if it's in my area of ability.

How many miles? Any service records? Check engine light on? If so, what codes? Autozone, AAP or others will plugin and read for you no charge.

Jon
Old 09-17-2013, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

I cant be of any help but I will bump the page
Old 09-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Hey Jon!

The things I need most urgently are:

-Random no start issue; it might be security related but not sure
First start of the day fires right up every time, the next starts after that may or may not happen. Found the lock cylinder wires had cuts, did the resistor mod. On my 3rd lock cylinder due to shoddy workmanship. Replaced the ignition switch while I was in there. Some days it will start continuously, mostly NOT. One day I was stranded for an hour and a half

-gas, coolant temp and tach gauges are not functional

-diagnostic port doesn't communicate
SES and CE both on, bit runs good??? Took it to Autozone and they tried two different scanners, both showed power at the port but wouldn't communicate. I have a programmer that came with the car and it doesn't work either

If you could help with ONE issue I will be friggin ecstatic!!! Thanks for responding

Scott
Old 09-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Oh yeah-

Miles 114,xxx and have some service records

Thanks for the bump!!!

Scott
Old 09-17-2013, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man that sounds like something iv read about on here a while ago. I just cant remember it. Maybe something with the bcm......

My buddy used to live in Palm Harbour and now lives in Oldsmere (Sp) He had a silver c6 with a blower that was very fast. Perhaps you have seen him around. If you can get communication with the aldl connector he is a great tuner....

Hope it helps alittle

It is a m6 or a4? Any Mods
Old 09-17-2013, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Oldsmar, and do you know how to get a hold of him? If I ever get this running right again, or get a new BCM I will be in need of his services! Can't say I've seen that car around, barely been here 6 months.

It is a M6 and it has SLP intake and long tube headers, and a Magnaflow cat back. I LOVE the sound!!! Thanks for the reply

Scott
Old 09-17-2013, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem. He has since got rid of the c6 then a srt8 Grand Cherokee and now he just got a 1le bad *** red 2013 camaro ss2. He is my best friend so when the time comes we can get ahold of him. He reads these boards but never post.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Damn, would like to see that Camaro Thank you very much, I will keep this in mind! Seems a ways off, but I will get there eventually. Hope other people will find this thread in the coming days- until then I am searching the forums for answers

Scott
Old 09-18-2013, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Talking

Well, my persistence has paid off- was crawling around under the passenger side dash trying to unhook and remove the BCM so I could take a look and see if I could try to fig out why I have the random start issue. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a few frayed wires! There is a small harness that goes from the engine bay (under the ECU) and splits to the dash and towards the back. Removed the ECU and pulled out the harness and found that a mouse ATE the rubber grommet (weather seal) and totally chewed off THREE FRIGGIN WIRES!!!

I repaired them and now:

-the tach works (YAAAAYYYY!!!)
-the coolant temp gauge works
-no more SES or CEL

That's what I've noticed so far, and I took it for a looooong ride and now it's a COMPLETELY different car! Hell, I thought it ran good before, now it's SCARY

Tomorrow I am going to try an OBD scanner to see if it fixed that too, checked EVERY fuse I could find and all were ok. If I can get it to reliably start every time I will be VERY VERY HAPPY.

Just goes to show you, never ASSUME anything lol

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Help needed in Tampa area!!!-dsc_0127-2.jpg  
Old 09-19-2013, 07:14 AM
TECH Regular

Well, my persistence has paid off- was crawling around under the passenger side dash trying to unhook and remove the BCM so I could take a look and see if I could try to fig out why I have the random start issue. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a few frayed wires! There is a small harness that goes from the engine bay (under the ECU) and splits to the dash and towards the back. Removed the ECU and pulled out the harness and found that a mouse ATE the rubber grommet (weather seal) and totally chewed off THREE FRIGGIN WIRES!!!

I repaired them and now:

-no more SES or CEL

That's what I've noticed so far, and I took it for a looooong ride and now it's a COMPLETELY different car! Hell, I thought it ran good before, now it's SCARY

Tomorrow I am going to try an OBD scanner to see if it fixed that too, checked EVERY fuse I could find and all were ok. If I can get it to reliably start every time I will be VERY VERY HAPPY.

Scott
I chased a lean condition for over a year until I found the metal edge under the cowl had cut through 4 wires going into the ECM. One of which was the upstream O2 sensor, grounding it, so the ECM dumped fuel like crazy trying to fix a false lean.

Those things are a pain in the *** to find, but so rewarding when you do!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

I repaired them and now:

-no more SES or CEL

Scott
Your starting problem is most likely the vats security system. You can send your ecm out to a mail order tuner and he will delete the vats and for the same money also give you a mail order tune for your upgrades. Check out Frost Tune !! Good luck!!
Old 09-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Question

Originally Posted by ws6man29
Your starting problem is most likely the vats security system. You can send your ecm out to a mail order tuner and he will delete the vats and for the same money also give you a mail order tune for your upgrades. Check out Frost Tune !! Good luck!!
Hmmmmm...

No problem. He has since got rid of the c6 then a srt8 Grand Cherokee and now he just got a 1le bad *** red 2013 camaro ss2. He is my best friend so when the time comes we can get ahold of him. He reads these boards but never post.
Hey 99wssixm6- can your buddy do this, or just tuning?

Scott
Old 09-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Thumbs down

Well, more good and bad news-after the looooong drive last night with no SES or CEL, this morning when I went to run errands the SES light came back on (the bad). I went to Autozone to have them put a scanner on it- A) to see if it would WORK and B) to see what the codes were. They tried and the OBD port works now (the good)! Pulled an ABS code B0161 and a P0453 (more bad), have to do some research. When it is running it feels soooo good (more good)! But when I went to NAPA to pick up a part the car wouldn't start for a good 15-20 minutes (more bad). So I guess those wires didn't help that :\ It is a work in progress...

Scott
Old 09-19-2013, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Well, more good and bad news-after the looooong drive last night with no SES or CEL, this morning when I went to run errands the SES light came back on (the bad). I went to Autozone to have them put a scanner on it- A) to see if it would WORK and B) to see what the codes were. They tried and the OBD port works now (the good)! Pulled an ABS code B0161 and a P0453 (more bad), have to do some research. When it is running it feels soooo good (more good)! But when I went to NAPA to pick up a part the car wouldn't start for a good 15-20 minutes (more bad). So I guess those wires didn't help that :\ It is a work in progress...

Scott
Again its the vats security in your ride! First thing I would do is get a new key as it has a resistor specific to the vats code and alows the car to start.If that cheap fix does not work you will need to delete the vats in your ecm by using a tuner. Another free trick is to disconnect your negative battery cable for 15-20 min the re connect it and this might reset the system. If all is done and still does it ""delete the vats security system.....I have been around the block on this along time and know this all to well! Good luck.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ws6man29
Again its the vats security in your ride! First thing I would do is get a new key as it has a resistor specific to the vats code and alows the car to start.If that cheap fix does not work you will need to delete the vats in your ecm by using a tuner. Another free trick is to disconnect your negative battery cable for 15-20 min the re connect it and this might reset the system. If all is done and still does it ""delete the vats security system.....I have been around the block on this along time and know this all to well! Good luck.
I currently have the resistor mode in place, so the key thing is out of the equation! And believe you me- I am SOOOOO ready to disable the VATS!!! Do you know if you set the system not to arm if it will still cause problems? I tried doing this and seems like it didn't do anything It was weird- I stopped at a different NAPA and went to start it, first keying didn't start. Second try I held the key for like 2 seconds and when I was letting off the starter jumped. Third time it started. At AutoZone it fired up first try. Last stop at NAPA I and to mess around and like I said 15-20 minutes later it started?! I have to fix this!!! Thanks for all the replies!

Scott
Old 09-21-2013, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Question- if the security system wasn't letting the car turn over (cut the starter), bump-starting wouldn't work correct? Thanks!

Scott
Old 09-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Well it's confirmed- my starter needs to be replaced! Talked with a guy from AutoZone for a bit today and we hashed back and forth for a while, then later on when I got home the car wouldn't start again. I tried one of his ideas- put it in reverse and turned the key to start, let off the brake and it rolled back a little and fired right up! There is a dead spot and if I turn it a little it starts every time. I will still keep an eye on the security system, but won't disable it at this time. I appreciate everybody's help here, you guys are all awesome One problem down, a few more to go!!!

Scott
Old 09-24-2013, 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

Glad you're getting the problems worked out! I've got HP Tuners if you ever need a hand.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pharcyde50
Glad you're getting the problems worked out! I've got HP Tuners if you ever need a hand.
Awesome! Just trying to get the bugs worked out now, not sure what tuning has been done? The previous owner said a guy in Tampa tuned it but have no idea who or where??? He gave me a Superchips Max Micro tuner but it doesn't work, not sure if that is what he called "tuning"... I would be very interested to see if anything has been done- how can I find out?

With other things I have found out on the car I am NOT inclined to believe ANYTHING he has told me One thing is for sure- I WILL make it all right again

Quick Reply: Help needed in Tampa area!!!