Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

need your advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need your advice

12am Sunday morning my girlfriend and i were traveling home on Hiawassee. We were sitting at the light at Old winter garden rd. Right next to us sat a white mustang. The light turned green and we accelerated. Driving along, passing at least 3 traffic intersections, my girlfriend notices that there was a cop behind us. We werent really aware that we had done anything wrong. Just before we reach Conroy road, he pulls me over. First off he asks me if the vehicle is mine. Not really wanting to **** him off with an opportunity of sarcasm, i assure him that it is. He then begins to tell me why he pulled me over. He stated that back at the Old winter garden rd intersection, i accelerated to 70 miles an hour in a 45 mile an hour zone. He then went on to say that he paced me for 2 tenths of a mile and concluded that he verified this with his calibrated speedometer (yeah right). Here is the kicker. He was not driving a cruiser. It was a transport truck! (like a Ford F1-50). It turns out that he was sitting behind the mustang at that traffic light. What gets me is how he was accurately able to pace me when he had to wait for the mustang in front of him to accelerate so that he would be able to catch up to me. ALSO- im not certain what the horsepower was underneath the hood of that thing, but the definition of pacing would mean that he would be doing 70 mph as well and he was well behind me right up until he pulled me over. That doesnt seem like pacing to me. He even told me that he was doing 45mph! Im sorry but if he was doing 45 and he said i was doing 70, there is no way i still could have been within his sight range for a length of 2 tenths of a mile! And he admitted that he never got me on radar. He has no proof. Its really his word against mine. And he tried to scare me with the whole certified speedometer calibration crap! Even if there is such a thing, i doubt that his vehicle would require it because its not meant to pursue people in traffic! Im going to go to the courthouse location and request his calibration records for that vehicle. I really feel that i have a chance in fighting this thing in court. There are too many variables in my favor that make this ticket BOGUS!

Old 07-24-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go to court if you feel you can beat it.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know for a fact that marked police cars are supposed to get their speedos calibrated on a regular basis. If the vehicle that pulled you over is in fact an unmarked police car it should be calibrated on a regular basis also. I say fight it and ask to see the calibration certificate and make sure it is up to date.

Also from your description of the incident it sounds like you were not pace clocked properly.
In court I wouldn't be surprised if the police officer has a different recollection of the events then you do....
Also are you aware that the mustang driver wasn't a cop?
I thought they were supposed to start something up in Florida in regards to that. Get undercover cops in cars to try and goad people into racing and then you get ticketed if you bite. It is supposed to combat street racing.
My next question is...did you in fact go faster then the posted speed limit? If so the ticket is not bogus. But you may beat it in court regardless.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are some 2005 gt mustang cops here in florida from what i heard. The mustang that was to my left was an 89 model and v6 and dirty. And it was a truck like an f150 and not a unmarked or curiser and it was behind the mustang at the light. The cop also said i wasnt driving weckless at all just that i accelerated fast. And he said he did not use radar at all. I was only doing 50 if that in fourth gear. He said he was pacing me. But he would have to be doing 70 like he said i was doing. He said he was doing 45. He said i was in veiw the hole time and if i was doing 70 he would not have seen me at all if he was at 45mph so i must have been doing 50. He would have needed to get around traffic to even do all this. And that mustang passed me at 50 and cut 2 other cars off.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

how much is your ticket? over 200?

depending on your record, i wouldnt take it to court. May not be worth your time. :shrug:
Old 07-24-2005, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea 200 bucks i have a clean record and the cop said i was not driving reckless at all that i just accelerated he though was fast. and to pace someone he would to be going 70 like he said i was going but he was going 45mph. and yet he never used radar unit at all. I do have a witness to all this to.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:54 PM
Launching!

the problem would be it is your word vs. his. I had a buddy take an incident like this to court and he got screwed. The cops have certified spedo's like what "30thanniv" said and all he has to say is that he paced you and that's it. I don't think a witness helps because my buddy had one too, and the judge didn't let him talk. Also Remember if you loose in court you pay court costs too. my buddies 250 dollar ticket turned into about 400...hope this helps
Old 07-24-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

was your friend pulled over by a cuiser or a truck like a f150 or a van like a e350? i got pulled over when he was driving a truck or a van. and my friend had this happen to her and got off. the cop told her he was maching her speed. thats were my case is diffrent he was doing 45 and and he said i was doing 70 how can he even see me to get a estimate of my speed from a large gap. and if he did see me i must have been close around the same speed he was going. he guessed how fast i was going and did not get a accurate speed. i have been doing alot of reading on this pacing and the cop needs to be going the same speed as me to get a exact speed. and im going to the court and get this so called calibration records and see if this truck or van was calibrated at all.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:20 AM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Take it to court, the ***** might not even show. You can also get a traffic lawyer for $50-$75 bucks.

Don't let the man keep you down!
Old 07-25-2005, 01:08 AM
TECH Junkie

honestly id just pay it and take a class to get rid of the points if you take it to court you might win, loose, or most likely youll recieve adjunctifcation withheld with payment of the fine+court fees(i belive) in all 3 of those cases your gonna have to pay money and waste your time .. and the worse part is if you loose your really fucked cauz now you gotta pay court fees +lawyer fees+ticket+class... so honestly id just drop it ; i mean im probally a big hipocrit saying this but sometimes its just better to walk away...just pay the money upfront and save your self the stress hell you can even take the class online while brosing ls1 tech like i did its too easy
Old 07-25-2005, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just got done reading some more info on this. And it says the cop has to be traveling at the same speed i was going to get any kind of speed from me. fore some time. thats pacing. The cop told me that he was doing 45 and i was doing 70 and he was right behind me. there is a big hole in this already. Never used radar. another hole. and if i was going 70 and he was going 45 he could have not even seen me at all. another hole(no visual) and he also said to me that i took off from the light a little fast. And as he was behind me i didnt do anything else wrong at all he said. another hole there. He said that this truck has a calibrated speedo. (a truck f150 or a e350 mabe k9 unit van calibrated) im going to get the public record on this its free to the public. i dont think so. for sure a cuiser and undercover and a bike yea no van or truck its not for prsuit just trasporting. and there was traffic and water from the sprinklers on the street. another hole because my car would have lost control at 70 on a turn. and why not use radar he said he had it use it another hole. and just to mention this was on a side road and not a highway or a huge road just two lanes and lots of lights.

ok what do you think now? I think there are to many holes in this to hold up in court.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

This is karma just catching up with you for all the times you didn't get caught.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont belive in karma as also in god and luck
Old 07-25-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a update on what i have learned. I spoke to a few officers at the ocoee court house and that the trucks speedo was calibrated in a f150. the court officer said that really dont mean much other than the speedo is right and he might bring it and might not. And the officer said. the officer that pulled you over has to tell the judge the samething he told me. that he was pacing me at 45mph and that he was right behind me for 2/10th of a mile. and that he told me he just saw me leaving the green light a little fast and had not paced me from that point. just down the road and i was not driving wreckless at all. near metro west blvd and pulled me over before conroy. my question here is how is it he was doing 45mph and paced me at 70mph? and if i was doing 70mph i would have been out of sight to even get any kind of speed from me? And also the officer never used radar at all and i asked him if he had it. he said yes. Why not use it if im going that fast he would have a full proof case right? The court officer said in order to pace me he would need to be going 70 like he said and he was going 45 like he told me. right?

So what do you think?
I think this case is full of holes and has no proof of me doing 70mph while he is at 45mph right behind me. So i must have been doing 45mph in a 45mph zone. and that his speedo was calibrated as he said and he puts this case in my favor. right?
Old 07-25-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SOMWS62001
I dont belive in karma as also in god and luck
Old 07-25-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

im just kiding with you.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

No offense dude, but you sound like your 13 and you sound like a broken record, if you even know what that is.
I know its probably your outrage at what you percieve is a wrong doing, but judging from your jibber jabber I think you have better chances of hiring someone to take care of it for you or just pay the fine and go to school. If you go in talking like you are typing your going to lose just because your going to annoy the traffic magistrate.
This is not the crime of the century and no one cares to hear your CSI explanation of what happend. In court the cop will say whatever it takes to make the ticket stick, and yes that may mean lying..gasp!!! Yes people lie.
Life isnt fair and sometimes you get screwed, and like was mentioned above, for this one time you got a ticket assuming incorrectly there are probably another 20 times you deserved one and didn't get one.
Just trying to be helpful...I say suck it up.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Again I agree with "30thanniv". If the officer shows up (which he is being paid to do anyway) you are done for. As I said before it's you vs. the cop and you will end up paying more!
Old 07-26-2005, 03:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

na your both wrong. and do know what broken record is and im 33 and not 13. just for your fyi i beat three other tickets before. I wont get into it but it works all the time. just tell the truth and my girl friend was with me so its two to one and he has to state everything he said to me to the judge. and i was going to call a traffic lawer just to see what he says and just might go with it. and i dont see why i should pay 200 dollars for something i didnt do. but i can see if the cop got me on radar and if he paced me the right way then i would pay the ticket. and i have been paced before and and got off with a warring and 55 in a 50 is no big deal. maybe your just a sucker and pay out and belive everthing your told
Old 07-26-2005, 06:57 AM
10 Second Club

you can totally beat that in court especially since he didn't get you on radar.

Quick Reply: need your advice