Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Is a License plate cover illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is a License plate cover illegal?

I just washed the car and I was driving it around the neighborhood to dry it and a cop pulls me over for having a license plate cover, which of course is not the real reason. So he asks for the usual and of course I left my wallet at home, so blah blah, he runs the plates takes my name etc, then he begins to harass me asking me if I want do go to jail and all that crap (I was very respectful the whole time) and then he said I highly suggest you go right home. Anyways my point is by law; you can only get pulled over for probable cause. With that said I’m about to go find the cop and get his name and badge number to report him for harassment, but would like some more ammunition. This isn’t the first time this has happen to me, more like 5th or 6th time. (Not all in the Z28) I’m sick of cops having nothing else better to do then harass people.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ummm dude, probable cause is the level of proof neccesary to make an arrest.
BTW there is a statue on file that talks about improperly displayed tags. Read that statue and become familiar with it, if you intend to fight the ticket, if you even got one.I have never been pulled over by a cop because he wanted to give me a compliment.
Harassment is the nature of the beast. Sometimes they "harass" the right person, meaning a true criminal. That can't happen in every encounter though.
Besides what are you going to complain about? "the cop was doing his job and pulled me over and told me to go home after he gave me a break and didn't write me multiple tickets? "
He could have cited your for no proof of registration, no proof of insurance, driver's license not carried and improperly displayed tag. If he wanted to be a real jerk he could have even told you to park your car or tow it on you because you don't have proof of having a driver's license. It's very easy to give someone else's name that has a driver's license.
It sucks havinga sports car because people know that we are likely to speed in them and it makes them easy targets for law enforcement. good luck
Old 08-05-2006, 02:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ i like this guy...youd be suprised how many people end up getting arrested just because we pull them over for a plate violation....profiling is actually good police work....its just bad when it turns racial...and yes there is a florida statue that pertains to plate violations...jist is " plate must be displayed with no alteration, no hinderince,and with proper decals" yada yada yada....if need be i can post the exact statue later....i dont want this to turn into a good cop bad cop arguement....but jobs are jobs...we dont make the rules...you people actually do, theyre in that little orange fl statue book...if its there we enforce it bottom line
Old 08-05-2006, 04:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Call me a man of excessive principle or crazy, I'd rather pay a ticket and deal with a friendly and polite officer (happened only once so far), than not get a ticket but put up with all the rude bs (has happened once, also)... It makes me want to tell the guy, "Dude give me the fuxking ticket and learn to respect each person like I'm respecting you..." But they're grown men who we can't teach anything to or change.

Of course, the third scenario is worst of all... When they ticket you for everything in the book AND they're snobby/impolite... No excuse.

I teach high school... And night school to some people who are almost my age, late twenties and such... What am I gonna tell them?

A. You failed your assignment... I need to assign you a zero... I would like this to never happen again... Is there anything about this course you have a question about? I'm here to help... Okay, take care.

OR

B. You know what this is? A Zero... You know why? Because you obviously don't understand grammar... Should I give you this zero? I could give you a zero right now... You know what? I WILL because you don't even know why you got it...

KevsfastZ, I think you're upset because you ran into an officer that functions under B. type style/attitude...

Just be happy you didn't get a ticket because you DID deserve one, and remind yourself how much it sucks to deal with people like that so that you don't ever become yourself that way or raise your children as such!

Also, harassment is a strong word... Are you sure that's what he did?
Old 08-05-2006, 07:31 AM
TECH Regular

I may be a little off but in FL the licence plate must display the NUMBER, STICKER, and COUNTY/"SUNHINE STATE". If you notice most new car dealers have licence plate frames BUT they DO NOT cover the county portion of the plate. He probably got you for covering the county or the reg. sticker. He obviously has it out for you, so just watch your six when you are near that area.

As stated earlier about profiling, its impossible to properly police without profiling. However its not call profiling its called "Active Policing." Doesn't that sound nicer? I don't think the cop needed to Activly Police you since you were near your home, but I don't know the full situation.

Let me ask you this, where you going a little fast or accelerating faster than normal to shake the excess water out of the seams? I know I do the same thing, and he may have seen/heard/or was told of you doing that.

Just me on the lookout and drive within the limits of the law for a while.

P.S. don't waste time on the reporting him to his superiors. I bet he didn't harass you, you were just upset at being stopped and then told you could go to jail since you DID have multiple infractions (i.e. driving without licence). This will only cause more problems for you in the future.

Last edited by LSWon00; 08-05-2006 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Here is another "harassment" guy about the police....Do you know how much we hear this? Almost every traffic stop, they tell me I harass them. Get over it, its not harassment. It's their and my job.

I'll make this short and simple...."Yes" you can get a citation for having a license plate cover.

Just like you said, take his badge number and name to file a report on him. So this way, next time your parents or close friend calls the police, you can see him on scene and say hello while he is helping out whoever with whatever problem.

There are "bad apples" in the tree, but we are not all like that.

p.s...if a cop brings up jail, you must have said something to **** him off...fyi
Old 08-05-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JakeROFL
Here is another "harassment" guy about the police....Do you know how much we hear this? Almost every traffic stop, they tell me I harass them. Get over it, its not harassment. It's their and my job.
You don't know that for a fact. You weren't there for his (not your cases) specific scene that happened to him. That's why I asked if he was sure... I was hoping HE could explain HIMSELF so that we could decide since he wanted to share this story in the first place. We have no idea what they said to each other.

I'll make this short and simple...."Yes" you can get a citation for having a license plate cover.

Just like you said, take his badge number and name to file a report on him. So this way, next time your parents or close friend calls the police, you can see him on scene and say hello while he is helping out whoever with whatever problem.

There are "bad apples" in the tree, but we are not all like that
You're absolutely right. One of my best friends, an officer, I wouldn't trade for anyone in the world.

p.s...if a cop brings up jail, you must have said something to **** him off...fyi
Once again, don't give us the impression that you're one of these "bad apple" cops... The guy hasn't even explained how he feels he was harassed yet and you're already gonna say this? How do you know? Maybe he didn't say anything to **** him off? Maybe he was dealing with a bad apple? I would love for him to explain so then you COULD make this kind of a statement or not.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bboyferal
You don't know that for a fact. You weren't there for his (not your cases) specific scene that happened to him. That's why I asked if he was sure... I was hoping HE could explain HIMSELF so that we could decide since he wanted to share this story in the first place. We have no idea what they said to each other.

You're absolutely right. One of my best friends, an officer, I wouldn't trade for anyone in the world.

Once again, don't give us the impression that you're one of these "bad apple" cops... The guy hasn't even explained how he feels he was harassed yet and you're already gonna say this? How do you know? Maybe he didn't say anything to **** him off? Maybe he was dealing with a bad apple? I would love for him to explain so then you COULD make this kind of a statement or not.

I feel harassed....im reporting you to the ls1tech mods...."cough"
Old 08-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Restricted User

i think the guy should just be happy that he didnt get a ticket for driving without his license or some form of id on his person. and as far as the harassment goes, it sounds like he got more of a break than he did harassed. i think that if the officer went by the book, your wallet would be a whole lot lighter within the next 30 days or so. maybe the next time you see him you should thank him, not give him crap via his superiors.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

I agree with most of you guys, and no I'm not complaining about being pulled over for something that was illegal, but what I am trying to get across is how he handled the situation, I'm not about to sit here and retort everything that happen in that 1 1/2 for a license plate cover but the way he was acting was as if I just did a line of crack of my dash. Like I’ve said before, I've been pulled over multiple times in my other car (1987 cutlass ciera) which looks ghetto as hell for which I can understand cops would suspect drugs. But every time I got pulled over was for a broken tail light which did have red tape over. But they were always cool about it and always asked to search the car which I never minded. But for the way he handled the situation was just ridiculous.

PS. I found the statue

316.605 Licensing of vehicles.--

(1) Every vehicle, at all times while driven, stopped, or parked upon any highways, roads, or streets of this state, shall be licensed in the name of the owner thereof in accordance with the laws of this state unless such vehicle is not required by the laws of this state to be licensed in this state and shall, except as otherwise provided in s. 320.0706 for front-end registration license plates on truck tractors and s. 320.086(5) which exempts display of license plates on described former military vehicles, display the license plate or both of the license plates assigned to it by the state, one on the rear and, if two, the other on the front of the vehicle, each to be securely fastened to the vehicle outside the main body of the vehicle in such manner as to prevent the plates from swinging, and all letters, numerals, printing, writing, and other identification marks upon the plates regarding the word "Florida," the registration decal, and the alphanumeric designation shall be clear and distinct and free from defacement, mutilation, grease, and other obscuring matter, so that they will be plainly visible and legible at all times 100 feet from the rear or front. Nothing shall be placed upon the face of a Florida plate except as permitted by law or by rule or regulation of a governmental agency. No license plates other than those furnished by the state shall be used. However, if the vehicle is not required to be licensed in this state, the license plates on such vehicle issued by another state, by a territory, possession, or district of the United States, or by a foreign country, substantially complying with the provisions hereof, shall be considered as complying with this chapter. A violation of this subsection is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

Kevin D
Old 08-05-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres a few i think were all guilty of.....316.191, 316.183, and 316.0895....ehh there all something about driving lol
Old 08-05-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I feel harassed....im reporting you to the ls1tech mods...."cough"
That would be the first time I ever harass anyone... Except for women, of course... J/K
Old 08-05-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Okay, he cut you some breaks, which is cool... He handled it like a jerk, which is not cool...

I know you said you weren't going to explain the situation in detail, but as I said before, "harass" is a strong word... Technically, if you were really harassed, go report a complaint... If you were not really "harassed," then just consider yourself lucky he did not cite you for anything and keep that memory vivid in your brain so that way you don't speak to people like he does.

Originally Posted by KevsfastZ
I agree with most of you guys, and no I'm not complaining about being pulled over for something that was illegal, but what I am trying to get across is how he handled the situation, I'm not about to sit here and retort everything that happen in that 1 1/2 for a license plate cover but the way he was acting was as if I just did a line of crack of my dash. Like I’ve said before, I've been pulled over multiple times in my other car (1987 cutlass ciera) which looks ghetto as hell for which I can understand cops would suspect drugs. But every time I got pulled over was for a broken tail light which did have red tape over. But they were always cool about it and always asked to search the car which I never minded. But for the way he handled the situation was just ridiculous.

PS. I found the statue

316.605 Licensing of vehicles.--

(1) Every vehicle, at all times while driven, stopped, or parked upon any highways, roads, or streets of this state, shall be licensed in the name of the owner thereof in accordance with the laws of this state unless such vehicle is not required by the laws of this state to be licensed in this state and shall, except as otherwise provided in s. 320.0706 for front-end registration license plates on truck tractors and s. 320.086(5) which exempts display of license plates on described former military vehicles, display the license plate or both of the license plates assigned to it by the state, one on the rear and, if two, the other on the front of the vehicle, each to be securely fastened to the vehicle outside the main body of the vehicle in such manner as to prevent the plates from swinging, and all letters, numerals, printing, writing, and other identification marks upon the plates regarding the word "Florida," the registration decal, and the alphanumeric designation shall be clear and distinct and free from defacement, mutilation, grease, and other obscuring matter, so that they will be plainly visible and legible at all times 100 feet from the rear or front. Nothing shall be placed upon the face of a Florida plate except as permitted by law or by rule or regulation of a governmental agency. No license plates other than those furnished by the state shall be used. However, if the vehicle is not required to be licensed in this state, the license plates on such vehicle issued by another state, by a territory, possession, or district of the United States, or by a foreign country, substantially complying with the provisions hereof, shall be considered as complying with this chapter. A violation of this subsection is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

Kevin D
Old 08-05-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

You should be glad you didnt get a ticket. You were breaking the law, even though it was a tiny little law, it was voted on and it became a law for a reason.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

Hmm, maybe the cop should just check his crystal ball next time and pick out the real wrong doer... Ooop, you did do something wrong.
I think you got a huge break and the fact that you don't like the way he talked to you is just indicative of the sad state this country is in. In my opinion it doesn't empower you in anyway if he was rude if you did something wrong.
Did you perhaps think for a second that your reaction to his approach told him everything he needed to know about you? A real bad guy would respond in a different way. That is why you caught a break. The police profession is more then physical it is also psychological and you responded appropriately.
If the officer in question talks to all people like that then there is a problem. However he won't be doing it for long because eventually he will MF the wrong person with the right connections.
Complaining because your feelings were hurt just handicaps an already heavily restricted police department. I don't think we should have gestapo storm troopers out there policing our streets. But if they could be more aggressive then criminals would think twice. As it is the criminal justice system is so lax that the only boundary between us and the criminals are the police. A criminal knows that unless they kill someone they aren't getting locked up forever. So whats another car to steal? house to burglarize? old lady to batter?
A favorite quote from a buddy police man is " There is no justice, it's just us"
So when a cop strikes or kicks a thug a time or two more then was required to take them into custody I cheer them on. That extra shot is for all the nameless victims who were no able to get retribution when they were victimized.
Man up, brother... wipe your nose and move on.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

Well looks like everyone pretty much missed the point, none of you were there and I'm not going to explain my reasoning behind it again. BTW the whole point of this thread was to see if covers were illegal which was followed by a simple explanation why I was asking.

Kevin D
Old 08-06-2006, 02:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

wait one second, the way u told the story is u were driving perfectly fine with a license plate cover and and u didnt have ur license on u, each one of those is just a small fine (45 dollars for no license), no points on license, especially no jail time......... if this is correct and u did absoluty nothing wrong except the cover and no license on u, and the cop told u he was going to take u to jail then i would write a complaint, becuase there is no reason that u could possibly go to jail for any of those things............ he was just bothering u
Old 08-06-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

Yikes Kev.. I re-read my post came off a little like an a-hole. Not intended.
Only stating my view.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002/Black/SS
wait one second, the way u told the story is u were driving perfectly fine with a license plate cover and and u didnt have ur license on u, each one of those is just a small fine (45 dollars for no license), no points on license, especially no jail time......... if this is correct and u did absoluty nothing wrong except the cover and no license on u, and the cop told u he was going to take u to jail then i would write a complaint, becuase there is no reason that u could possibly go to jail for any of those things............ he was just bothering u
Thank You, exactly what I ment.

Kevin D
Old 08-06-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Junkie

If this is true (I'm not that knowledgable about this I'll admit), then it's disappointing that other people which DO KNOW, even including officers on this thread, would not point this out in honest fairness to KevsfastZ... Unless this is mistaken somehow...

Any officers care to chime it on whether these last three posts are right or wrong?

By law, can a driver who has a plate cover and fails to produce a valid license (though that fact that he currently holds one can be confirmed by the license number) go to jail? Is this or is this not grounds for arrest... If it is, then this officer was VERY nice despite the attitude. If it is not, the this officer is one of these "bad apples" that the world hates dealing with.

Last edited by bboyferal; 08-07-2006 at 12:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Is a License plate cover illegal?