Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

What kind of bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of bike?

Ok any of you Gator Alums or people living in Gainesville know how shitty traffic and parking conditions are. I'm tired of driving my T/A all over this town and never being to find a parking at school and I hate taking RTS (the bus) because my route takes me to the outer edges of campus and I end up walking 2-3 miles anyways a day. So I'm opting to get a bike, I don't want a scooter/vespa type thing because well those are for girls .
I've always wanted a motorcycle and now I kind of have a reason to get one. I've never really driven one before and want one that is fairly easy to drive, not to fast, and easy to learn on.
What would I have to do to get a license to drive a bike (like classes and so on)?
i know I should go sit on a few and test out the feel of them and possibly test ride a few. Not looking to spend a great amount of $ either. Plus if I do get a bike this also gives me a reason to park the T/A and start working on the LQ9/LS2 I'm gonna build for it!

All opinions are welcome!
Old 09-27-2006, 08:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I rode motorcycles to campus year 'round in Michigan
and of the lot, the most fun was a shitty little KZ100
dirt bike I got for $75, hung a K-Mart fog lamp on it
to pass for a headlight. Small enough that I could
park it anywhere, even up stairs

Used to ride it with snowmobile mittens in the winter.
Little thing kick started without any hassle, no battery
to go bad.

Of course it was not a babe magnet, unlike my rust
bomb cars. But got the job done.

Might look at those scooters, I think maybe you don't
need a MCY endorsement for those (at least, they rent
them to any yahoo that waves a credit card). Don't
know how the motorcycle license drill is now, when I
moved down here they were still giving the MCY just
for the asking, when they decided to make you road
test I took a buddy up to the license office and it was
rock it on the hand brake and then do a figure-8 without
falling over, have a nice day.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just dont buy a "cool" bike b/c it will rot/rust unless you have a garage. also a TON of bikes get stolen in gainesville.

it depends on your budget.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want one just to be a tool and act cool. I just want something practical and not gay like a scooter. I would take a dirtbike over one of those things. I live in a pretty decent area and the hood is gated, but I still no **** can get stolen. Plenty of ways for theft prevention/recovery lol. There's low jack, an alarm, I've even seen people rig up an electric shock current in the seat if the bike is started without the proper ignition (key and ****) lol. I've been looking around, I know with my parents tho, they are gonna lean towards a ******* scooter and push their opinion to the fullest (not a problem of buying it, but them putting me under their insurance policy) They did the same thing when I bought the Trans Am, I save up my money to buy the freakin' thing and they flip out lol. I don't get it, mom has a 74 and 01 Vette, dads got a 11 second 66 chevelle. i think they are just scared i could one day have a car faster than theirs lol. I was looking at 650 ninjas and R6s online, not to badly priced, I'm trying to go for a fairly used one, because I do not have a garage, just shaded parking.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

i used to work at purcells in jacksonville before my job now, alot of my friends ride R1s, and hondas.....if youve never ridden a bike...id say go with a R6 yamaha makes great bikes, and theres alot of parts for them....take a ride up to OP one day and you can go through like 4 different bike shots....
Old 09-28-2006, 01:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

oo also make sure if your lookin at used bikes that you look at the mileage carefully...mileage has a larger effect on bikes then it does cars ie 20k miles on a bike=3 times as much on a car

Quick Reply: What kind of bike?