8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Got a ticket: What should I do poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got a ticket: What should I do poll

Ok, sorry if this is a little lengthly. First off I got the ticket from an Orange County officer. I was over on tradeport doing 50mph in 35mph and I didnt see the bike cop doing radar and ofcourse I got a ticket.

Now this is where I want "what you think I should do" advice. Basically Im trying to decide how to go about it. First, when giving me the ticket the officer said "I have to give you the ticket because this is a high complaint area"(I'm guessing high complaint on speeding). Now this is my 4th ticket within a year. So I cannot opt to take the class(since I have taken it within 12 months). I really dont want the points ofcourse, the fine doesnt bother me. I would prefer to go to court and plead no contest in hopes the judge just says "pay the fine/court costs and take the class" and it would be said and done. My only concern is that when you plea no contest, the judge looks at your record, and he would see the 2 or 3 previous tickets and say "son, **** you " and have to pay ticket/costs and still have the points if not maybe something a little worse.

The idea I have now(which still includes the judge looking at the record I think) is to pay a traffic lawyer and see if they can get it to where I only pay fine and take class/no points. When I went to court before it seemed as though the lawyers would talk with the cops, as if they were aquainted, or workout some negotiation before the judge actually went ahead and "started" the little trial deal.

Other option is to just pay the ticket
Old 01-04-2007, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are right if you go there by yourself, and plead No Contest you will get rammed. Although, if you take the class its no points, but if a judge tells you to take the class, how could he also add points? Im no law expert. But i guess a judge can do what he wants.

I was instructed to take (2) 12 hour classes after I got caught street racing, I got no points. A Lawyer can do alot of things, I would go that route if you really don't want the points.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slowmofo
I think you are right if you go there by yourself, and plead No Contest you will get rammed. Although, if you take the class its no points, but if a judge tells you to take the class, how could he also add points? Im no law expert. But i guess a judge can do what he wants.
Im guessing the judge can do what we wants, but he usually takes away the points when he says you have to take a class.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes...there is the third option....school....take the class, lose the points and have a deducted fine.....
Old 01-04-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

Ask around some of the guys in the Orlando area for a good ticket lawyer...then use them. A good ticket lawyer just takes your money but spares you the cost of insurance and other excessive fines.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by staringback05
yes...there is the third option....school....take the class, lose the points and have a deducted fine.....
I would take the class and all, but you can only opt to take it once every 12 months. It hasnt been 12months yet since I last took the class, or else I would have chosen that route.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000WS6Vert
Ask around some of the guys in the Orlando area for a good ticket lawyer...then use them. A good ticket lawyer just takes your money but spares you the cost of insurance and other excessive fines.
hehe, since this thread is already open, can anyone recommend a good traffic lawyer?
Old 01-04-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ahhh....then youve screwed yourself....
Old 01-04-2007, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

Get a lawyer and take it to court. if theres a lawyer, itll be taken care of w/ the officer, and the judge will just be like whatever.

Heres a traffic lawyer for you. The guy is awesome and has gotten some people out of a lot of stuff (including me)
Isadore Hyde
(407)688-9711
Old 01-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

Ironic that we usually get all of our tickets in our slow vehicles,, at least for me that is the truth .
Old 01-04-2007, 05:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FBodyPerformer
Get a lawyer and take it to court. if theres a lawyer, itll be taken care of w/ the officer, and the judge will just be like whatever.

Heres a traffic lawyer for you. The guy is awesome and has gotten some people out of a lot of stuff (including me)
Isadore Hyde
(407)688-9711
I do appreciate it. I'll be in contact with him tomorrow. Can you give me a ballpark figure of the price range I can expect?
Old 01-04-2007, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JAMcamaro
Ironic that we usually get all of our tickets in our slow vehicles,, at least for me that is the truth .
Whats up dude. Actually 2 of the 4 this past year were in a fast car, but not for going fast.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

There's always the chance you show up for the court date and the officer doesn't, then the judge throws it out. But if it were a sting type setup where they nailed a bunch of people that day, chances are the officer will report...
Old 01-04-2007, 05:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by efizjb
There's always the chance you show up for the court date and the officer doesn't, then the judge throws it out. But if it were a sting type setup where they nailed a bunch of people that day, chances are the officer will report...
He was a bike officer, and i'm sure he did pull over a few. Although he was alone, about 5min away in another area fairly close, there was another bike officer doing the same thing. The area that ith appened occasionally has stings like this, although I was looking out for one as always, this officer was further down in a spot they usually dont do it.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I thought 3 tickets in one calendar year was am automatic suspension of license. Tough to say what I'd do. I believe I would go to the officer and ask him to forgive the ticket. If he's an OK guy and you tell him you're screwed so bad because you've had 3 other tickets, he might agree to dismiss the ticket. If that didn't work, I'd keep quiet and get a lawyer ... hope the arresting officer doesn't show up. It's a requiremnt for FHP and County to show up, but, you nevere know, the guy may end up with an out-of-town emergency or something. You never know. A good lawyer can get you out of it if he argues that a ticket will nail you bad and you're really so very sorry. Most judges just want to see you are paying for what you did. If an attorney costs you double what the ticket would have cost, then, the judge prbably would not object to dismisisng the ticket. Court costs are not that much for that type of infraction.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I voted for traffic lawyer. I assume you have the money for it? Good luck!
Old 01-04-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Traffic lawyers have gotten me out of getting points several times this year across different counties in FL (broward, palm beach, brevard, leon). I say get the lawyer.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:42 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by leftme4dead
hehe, since this thread is already open, can anyone recommend a good traffic lawyer?
Skubiak& Rivas P.A. (407) 894-4449
I used them and had my speeding case dismissed. I got a ticket for speeding on my way to work at 5:30am last summer. I have a CDL so its not good to have points and the ticket would have been $185, I paid the lawyer $200 and received no points or fines.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:27 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
I thought 3 tickets in one calendar year was am automatic suspension of license. Tough to say what I'd do. I believe I would go to the officer and ask him to forgive the ticket. If he's an OK guy and you tell him you're screwed so bad because you've had 3 other tickets, he might agree to dismiss the ticket. If that didn't work, I'd keep quiet and get a lawyer ... hope the arresting officer doesn't show up. It's a requiremnt for FHP and County to show up, but, you nevere know, the guy may end up with an out-of-town emergency or something. You never know. A good lawyer can get you out of it if he argues that a ticket will nail you bad and you're really so very sorry. Most judges just want to see you are paying for what you did. If an attorney costs you double what the ticket would have cost, then, the judge prbably would not object to dismisisng the ticket. Court costs are not that much for that type of infraction.
Actually, I do believe it is more like if your aquire x amount of points within x amount of time, then your license suspends. What's funny is my friend had like 3 or 4 tickets within a a few months, and we asked this fhp guy I know, and he said you have to be a pretty crappy driver to get those many tickets in that amount of time, haha. Back then I was laughing at my friend, now its me. Another idea I had was to talk to a good friend of my family, who also has worked for Orange County as long as I can remember, and see if he knows the officer that gave me the ticket and talk to him.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:27 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Caveman
Skubiak& Rivas P.A. (407) 894-4449
I used them and had my speeding case dismissed. I got a ticket for speeding on my way to work at 5:30am last summer. I have a CDL so its not good to have points and the ticket would have been $185, I paid the lawyer $200 and received no points or fines.
Thanks for the info, i'll be giving him a call today.

Quick Reply: Got a ticket: What should I do poll