Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's
View Poll Results: Which tranny do you think is best.
FLT lvl 3
50.00%
Performabuilt lvl 2
50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

FLT or Performabuilt 4L60E

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-13-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

so whats up, 2 weeks ago you were tryin to sell it now you got ?'s about new parts, you gonna keep it now
Old 04-13-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think he wants to keep it and mod it heavily and use one of those trans
Old 04-13-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

performa - i did see your testimonial section on your site. what cars from this site are running in the 10s consistently? you refered to 500 units sold in the last 7 months (an incredible amount IMO). are they all 4L60e? any "highlights" from racers here?
Old 04-13-2007, 06:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

No I wont say they are all 4L60E and you have to bear in mind we do sell on several forums and ebay and over the net in general. The number 500 is and esitimate based on average weekly sales but give or take a little and its pretty accurate . Though the majority of those are 4L60E transmissions they also would include 700r4s and 2004rs which are our second and third largest sellers and a considerable number of 4x4 units in our heavy haulers and rock climber series.But by far the majority have been LS1/LSX style 4L60E transmissions.
On high lights from racers I am assuming you mean in florida we have shipped quite a few there but highlights in general? no other than whats on our website which are just a few I grabbed here and there searching google, If there is one thing I have learned in this since I have been involved with performabuilt thats people who are happy rarley say much and transmissions arent really the thing you go around bragging about as they are not power adders as such more along the lines of a steering box or something , Things you have to have and that have to be strong but theres no fun in bragging because they dont shave much of your time if any .they are just a link tranfering power and if everyone had there way would never make the list of things to improve if they didnt break and if they are working they are much like the steerig box , Out of site out of mind.
Not near as fun as spending 1500 on a NOS set up or other power things. But we are shipping presently 15 to 20 units a week sometimes it goes a little higher sometimes lower but thats the average. We are not a one or two man operaton we actually have crews for assembly we buy cores around 100 plus at a time and our parts bills weekly are in the 1000s which is why we are able to offer the prices we do quanity equals lower cost an why generally from order to ship is only a couple days in most instances. Have we hit a bump or two in the road , Yes, Our phenominal growth has caused us to have to regroup and change our production game plan several times. Presently we are only offering really three types of transmissions but are even now retooling and hiring people so we can do more, The 350, 400 and 4L80E is coming along with T56 and other manual trans as we grow and parts and kits too. I have said this before we are part of a larger company which is why we can grow so rapidly to meet demand. We are not a new company starting from scratch but rather and older well established larger company expanding our wings onto new areas as they say.
TP from what I have gathered from forums and comemtary is a good company that appears to build a good product, I wont say better than ours but perhaps as good never seen one in person so dont know, Of course we would never say anything bad about another company anyway, Its not the way we do business , But I will say at least for now they operate in and entirley different arena from us. I know this from personal expereince, Operating a small shop on a local level and building and shipping transmissions literally all over the world like we have are very different worlds. We do all we can to deliver the best possible product and the best customer service in our arena. I mean really how many shops or "mail order" transmission vendors can you call with a problem at midnight 7 days a week and have a person pickup the phone and help you thats us with very rare exceptions and if you dont get and answer you will get a call back quickly . Thats because here each person has a very specific job and isnt trying to stretch between building transmissions and working on cars and answering phones. Mine is to be here whenever you need something to answer questions and solve problems. We are out to be and I think are a very different kind of performance drive train company.

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 04-13-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

I've heard countless horror stories bout FLT trannies. Definitely wouldn't go with them. don't know much about the performa other than they are the new kid on the block and from what I have read not personally experienced they seem to be ok.

There's a member here that knows how to build them strong. His car has gone mid 9's too.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:55 PM
10 Second Club

Oh and I am running a top of the line Century tranny. FTMFW! They ain't cheap but you never hear bout em breaking!
Old 04-13-2007, 08:36 PM
DSG
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt

I mean really how many shops or "mail order" transmission vendors can you call with a problem at midnight 7 days a week and have a person pickup the phone and help you thats us with very rare exceptions and if youdont get and answer you will get a call back quickly .

If I have a problem I will call Fernando @ TP on his cell phone....LOL

99% of his customers could do the same thing.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DSG
If I have a problem I will call Fernando @ TP on his cell phone....LOL

99% of his customers could do the same thing.
LMAO.... that is the only number I know. When I apoligized for calling his cell, he basically said no problem.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Hmm actually when you call our number its almost always forwarded to my cell too unless Im at the shop, As for the 1 am Limit well everyones gotta sleep sometime and when your customers are literally spread out across the country and the globe you do have to have a few time guide lines. LOL

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-13-2007, 09:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Hmm actually when you call our number its almost always forwarded to my cell too unless Im at the shop, As for the 1 am Limit well everyones gotta sleep sometime and when your customers are literally spread out across the country and the globe you do have to have a few time guide lines. LOL

nothing like quality customer service, that is what makes repeat business.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Absolutley agreed

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-14-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

who is your larger parent company you keep mentioning?

and i wasnt looking for a florida car with your transmission. i was looking for any member that is a racer with your product. just for comparison so i can relate to the type of ET and power levels they are taking with your product on a regular basis. i am sure there is someone on this site or another racing site with your product you can point to?

it sounds like you guys do a ton of work and have huge capacity, but IMO there is nothing wrong with a small local shop for your performance needs either. there are pros and cons to both types.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:20 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Actually the companys nam is american transmissions inc , We have quite a few shops around the country however presently all performance units come through PA . As fo pointing try a search , They are out there , We dont point to or give our customers personal information out. And you are correct there is nothing wrong with a local good shop. I was only making the point that we are in two entirley different arenas. Theres no way to make a real comparison.But you are corect that there are pros and cons to either way of doing business, I wouldnt say ones better than the other just different

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-15-2007, 03:31 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

I've found it interesting reading through this thread that several people have mentioned "Horror stories" with FLT. On Performancetrucks.net (Truck section of LS1Tech) There has not been one failure. Guys are pushing 400-500whp in 5000lb+ trcuks and SUV's and they don't break.(4L65E) Guys are pushing over 1000rwhp on the FLT 80E lv 5.
Question: What the hell are you guys doing to your trans to kill a FLT with 400hp in a 3500lb car?
Anyway, I vote FLT. I have a lv 5. 500+rwhp in a 6000lb SUV on 24's and it delivers great shifts at wot and cruising.

Side note:
If you happen to have a local shop thats good at the 4l60 and offers a warranty AND has the respect of the local F body guys...I'm not sure I could pass that up.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
I've found it interesting reading through this thread that several people have mentioned "Horror stories" with FLT. On Performancetrucks.net (Truck section of LS1Tech) There has not been one failure. Guys are pushing 400-500whp in 5000lb+ trcuks and SUV's and they don't break.(4L65E) Guys are pushing over 1000rwhp on the FLT 80E lv 5.
Question: What the hell are you guys doing to your trans to kill a FLT with 400hp in a 3500lb car?
Anyway, I vote FLT. I have a lv 5. 500+rwhp in a 6000lb SUV on 24's and it delivers great shifts at wot and cruising.

Side note:
If you happen to have a local shop thats good at the 4l60 and offers a warranty AND has the respect of the local F body guys...I'm not sure I could pass that up.
I would agree on the local shop if it available and you feel comfortable with them though I have heard that go both ways too , Generally speaking though and no not always before anyone starts yelling the "mail" order companies do give better warranties, So when dealing with a local ask them if they have a written warranty policy is always a good idea.

On the matter of threads and FLT the reality is that if a company has been around long enough they ae going to have problems from time to time with a unit and the forums are not a good representation of there product. Since people by nature only seem to post when they have and issue. Its not human nature to post every few days that your transmission is doing great, So say a company has been around for 5 year 10 years etc and you do a search you might find 100 people who had a problem , But what you wont see is that they sold 1000s of units during the same time period. The best way to get and idea on customer satisfaction is to 1- contact the people who had a problem and see what the resolution was, and 2 rather than just look at threads about a company look at user signatures and PM and ask them what they think. I am not pluging FLT but I do know from my experince with this so far that if you used the threads about a company to make a decision it might be a very miss informed one. Since it dosent paint the whole picture. It would be nice if every customer who was happy would make a post saying that , A but then the forums would also get really cluttered. Since as i said if you found 100 post of people who had some issue you would likley find 1000s thats were happy , But thats just not the way things work unfortunatly,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-15-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

how do you guys have time to build transmissions with all the time spent answering annoying questions on ls1tech? lol

just joking around.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

travis is your tranny actaully going out or you just wanting it replaced?
Old 04-15-2007, 04:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
how do you guys have time to build transmissions with all the time spent answering annoying questions on ls1tech? lol

just joking around.
Lol again because we have people to do each part of our operation and my job is to simply set here and answer questions all day every day , 7 days a week , Its my job and since I love tech anyway and talking tech Im good at it . And no questions anoying some are strange yes but never anoying lol

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-15-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

now THATS an easy job

Quick Reply: FLT or Performabuilt 4L60E