Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's
View Poll Results: Which tranny do you think is best.
FLT lvl 3
50.00%
Performabuilt lvl 2
50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

FLT or Performabuilt 4L60E

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DSG
Neither...Go with Transmission Physicians.
I agree, go with Transmission Physicians, one of the best in FL by far!!
Old 04-12-2007, 09:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

No we will not pay R&I if the product fails we will repair or replace it , I dont think anyone other than a shop it self will do that and of course most shops wont warrant HI PERF either. So theres a down side there too. But really In truth you pay for everything , I mean if companies did pay R&I all would happen is they would pass the cost on to all there customers meaning the 1 in 20 or whatever number it became wouldnt pay but everyone else would pay much more probably along the lines of a couple hundred more since reguardless of the actual numbers the finacial people would go with would be transmission digest which states that 1 in 10 is the average nation wide CB ratio and that nonperformance units. Though I have often wondered if customers would be willing to pay and extra 150 200 on there units for the ability to have the remove and install cost when as in our case with a failure rate overall in the 5-7 percent range which we are always working to improve which would make them only have a 7 percent chance of ever needing it. The 150 to 200 per unit range may sound a little high but when you consider that r&i cost across the country vary so wildley from 250 in a small town in the mid west to 650 for the same install in CA. But with the limited polling i have done over several years just asking if they thought that was a good idea , The answer was allways the same no because 7 percent odds were not bad enough to make a 200 dollar risk payemt on which is really what it would be, Anyway thats my opinion on that for what its worth and added to that 95 percent of our customers do a self install and wouldnt qualify anyway. Since any company that did that would require and invoice from a shop.
PerformaBuilt

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-12-2007, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

Throw Transmission Physicians up on the poll and see how many votes you get.... Great customer service, quality builds, and there are quite a few people on here that will back up these claims. He has that type of reputation for a reason.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

travis....come....lets have a talk sometime...
Old 04-12-2007, 03:07 PM
DSG
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by KOTSperformance
Throw Transmission Physicians up on the poll and see how many votes you get.... Great customer service, quality builds, and there are quite a few people on here that will back up these claims. He has that type of reputation for a reason.
+1 for the new poll. TP will destroy all others in service, there product, and just about anything else I can think of. This is why they have my TA at there shop right now.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

im another happy transmission physicians customer.. i live a few hours away, and the drive is well worth the work... fernando is a strait up guy, and one of the best in the biz..

you wont be dissapointed
Old 04-12-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

performabuilt, i dont mean to throw you under the bus at all. not my intentions. just wanted some info and you are straight up. you said that most shops wont warranty a high performance combo. what power levels will your company stand behind? if i were a 10.50-9.99 full weight car spraying on a big converter, would you guys stand behind it if the unit failed? how long is your warranty good for?

i recommended a local shop b/c with a product like a transmission, the cost of shipping back and forth are extremely high. down time is another issue as most of these guys DD. many guys on this site are newer to the performance world and have not lived through down time on their DD.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have any experience with either of these but a good friend (Smoke20) is installing a performabuilt in his TA...I am sure he will chime in after the install. He had great service so far I do know that and shipping was quick.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I voted performabuilt only because I know of a couple members here whose performabuilt transmissions have held out for a very long time. My FLP broke the first month I had it in the car ... just bad luck or a faulty part ... maybe an oversight ... who knows ... evidently, it was a linkage issue internally. Just got it back this week from being shipped out ... 2-3 clutch packs started slipping before it saw 10,000 miles and it's never been to the track and it's a level 5 4L65E. It was warranteed for 6 months by FLP. NLP in Altamonte worked with Chuck Johnson and they have both always done me right on the repairs. I still do have confidence in FLP / FLT transmissions ... customer service is the best and Chuck Johnson knows how to build them with over 30 years experience. I'm just not sure why so many of them have broken lately. Maybe they got a bad run of parts ... sort of like the AFR not-so-hardened hardened valves ... could happen to anybody ... gottta' praise AFR for doing the right thing and taking care of the problem. Another MAIN reason I voted for Performabuilt is the downtime/turnaround time because they are local .. as gator has mentioned.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:55 AM
DSG
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
Another MAIN reason I voted for Performabuilt is the downtime/turnaround time because they are local .. as gator has mentioned.
Proforma isnt local they are in PA....Transmission Physicians is the local shop here in Tampa.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DSG
Proforma isnt local they are in PA....Transmission Physicians is the local shop here in Tampa.
Originally Posted by JEB99TA
I voted performabuilt only because I know of a couple members here whose performabuilt transmissions have held out for a very long time.

Same applies to Transmisison Physicians ... heard a lot of good things about them, as well. Too far for me to go from here, though.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

Apart from you guys,never heard of Trans Physicians. What do they offer thats comparable to the Performabuilt?
Old 04-13-2007, 12:24 PM
DSG
10 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/692234-project-barney-turbo-t.html

This is the link to my car they are currently building. Will be a 1200hp 4l60e car that we plan on running eights.

They can do just about anything. As for level this transmission or level that, I dont think they do that. They can do a stock rebuild like most other guys that charge out the *** for a performance rebuild or they can build you there built 4l60e that you can beat on with peice of mind that it wont break.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

which is how much? like 3k? i don't have that kinda money, i'm gunna have to take a loan for the 1.5-1.6k for the Performabuilt.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
performabuilt, i dont mean to throw you under the bus at all. not my intentions. just wanted some info and you are straight up. you said that most shops wont warranty a high performance combo. what power levels will your company stand behind? if i were a 10.50-9.99 full weight car spraying on a big converter, would you guys stand behind it if the unit failed? how long is your warranty good for?

i recommended a local shop b/c with a product like a transmission, the cost of shipping back and forth are extremely high. down time is another issue as most of these guys DD. many guys on this site are newer to the performance world and have not lived through down time on their DD.
We have some customers running in the 10s full weight GTO car , I think the information is on our customer testimonials page on our website.
And we have yet to date to refuse a warranty period even on several ocasions where the failure was not our fault and rather was outside the trans, One I can think of was a converter(another vendors) that came apart and another was a guy who didnt know when you put a deep pan on you have to put a diferent filter on to match it. .
On the matter of shipping customers only have to get it to us theres no round trip deal there and on average unless you let someone rip you , You can ship a trans fedex,ups or dhl ground for around 150 dollars or less.

Also on a different note when comparing warranties read the fine print on everyones, I have noted statments such as
1- warranty covers parts normally replaced in a rebuild
2- warranty void if unit abused (how do you determine that in a HIPO unit?)

and more some of which just does not make sense when you read through it as has been brought to my attention by several of our customers who just happened to be reading and comparing warranties,
And I will definatly say this our customer service and tech support is SECOND TO NONE.

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 04-13-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:52 PM
DSG
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by FASTERthanYOU
which is how much? like 3k? i don't have that kinda money, i'm gunna have to take a loan for the 1.5-1.6k for the Performabuilt.
Financing performance parts is a bad idea. And they Tp is not as expensive as you would think. If you are interested in at least talking to them feel free to give me a PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well for many of us financing performance parts is the onlyway we can get them short of our cars setting for a year till we could save up unfortunatly , And I dont know anything about TP other than theres a couple guys who are allways giving them a plug on here all the time. LOL

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-13-2007, 02:11 PM
Banned

I absolutely understand what Gator is saying about sticking locally. Some companies do offer R&I, though; we do, for example, so check around as you look at things. We have also heard good things about Transmission Physicians from our Florida customers. If you decide to go non-local, we have seen great things recently with Cahall Performance Transmissions.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:14 PM
DSG
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Well for many of us financing performance parts is the onlyway we can get them short of our cars setting for a year till we could save up unfortunatly , And I dont know anything about TP other than theres a couple guys who are allways giving them a plug on here all the time. LOL
TP is not a Sponser(YET). Small shop, great guys who have better customer service that any other shop I know, and Transmissions is not the only thing they can do. If you want a new ring and pinion, heads and cam, turbo fabbed up or in my case a custom built race car they can do anything you want.

You WILL be hearing more from them in the future. Keep an eye on the build thread I posted above.

BTW the only reason I am posting up for them is because the originator of the thread is from Florida, why not have a local shop that can build the product he needs and a product that WONT give him any problems. Not taking anything from proforma but I dont know of ANY mail order transmissions that have worked out. having said that I also dont know anyone with a proforma tranny cause everyone in the racing comunity here have TP work on there cars.

Best of luck to FASTERthanYOU, I hope it works out no matter who you chose.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well if they become a sponsor then they to will become a mail order transmission place , LoL , And no PUN taken but actully just in the last 7 months alone we have over 500 "mail order" trans out there that are working out great , Sure theres and ocasional problem here and there as Im sure there is in a shop Like TP the difference is however just like with our local work we do also is no ones ever going to see that and it will never be on a public forum because they would handle it right there in the shop. When shipping transmissions to people thats just not and option as it wouldnt be for them either. No shop, I dont care who they are or where they are etc can set and say they have never had a problem with a unit, I will say if they do they are lying. Thats wether its local or mail order but as I said the only difference would be that a local would not likley end up in a public forum unless they did something really bad , Where as when dealing mail order every little thing ends up public knowledge. And you wont find a soul who can say we havent bent over backwards to help them if they have had and issue with our unit and other peoples too. I personally spend hours on this board helping not only our customers but anyone who ask or post I even have helped many times people solve issues with other peoples transmissions on weekends and stuff when they werent available. Actually have next dayed small parts to get them going and it wasnt even our trans or problem.
We think that if your going to serve a comunity which is what this forum is you should serve the whole comunity and not just when its in your interest sales wise. Quality and customer service are what sets us apart.

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 04-13-2007 at 05:27 PM.

Quick Reply: FLT or Performabuilt 4L60E