Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

My Engine Committed Suicide Yesterday - RIP

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^75 pounds muscle, 120 pounds gut
Originally Posted by Steve68
Oh, They feel lighter than that, I have a 5.3 I move around on the ground at my house, and I think I move it around quite easily, but I also weigh around 195,
Old 01-16-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats not nice! I'm not that fat either, you better watch it, you just got married, and your azz aint working all day and night no more too!!!!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:41 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Time for a random update. I saw another MTM car while I was down at Jason's today. It kind of gave me a reminder how much I miss driving my Formula around.

I haven't really gotten to do anything with the car and I'm majorly broke. I'm hoping with my tax return coming in at some point in the next couple months, my birthday in less than two weeks, and saving up from work I can order some more parts. My next goal is to get the heads finished. That way I can move forward on the rest of the build.

I've been down at Jason's http://www.lsxtuning.net/ lately working on my new car that I traded the shortblock I crammed in my car, some diamond 3.905 pistons, and $400 for. I took some pictures of my Formula while it was down there. I took the whole tail panel apart a week or so ago and air blasted all the dirt and leaves out of there. I then cleaned out the drainage paths for the hatch then blasted the front clean (relatively). It's still covered in pollen, but looks a lot better. It still makes me sad that I haven't gotten this thing fixed yet, but it's tough gathering this much money to fix it the way I want it.

Pictures:

Once I get it finished I'm going to get the front bumper and that one chunk on the quarter panel repainted.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't give up on it, brother.
You know the stories of finding the cool old car grown up with weeds sitting in a lot somewhere and you wonder, "how the hell did that happen"?

This is how that happens.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:13 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by troopercar
Don't give up on it, brother.
You know the stories of finding the cool old car grown up with weeds sitting in a lot somewhere and you wonder, "how the hell did that happen"?

This is how that happens.
Haha, I've heard plenty of those stories. I'm not giving up on it although many people think I've got way too much money in the thing, but they don't understand modifying a car. I'm saving up my money and it'll be done. I don't think I'm going to meet my summer (1 year) goal though.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Maybe if we put our heads to the grinding stone we can get most of the work done on these cars close to the 1 year mark. The Z28 will not take to long if we know what we're doing, and the Formula...might just take a little longer. But we can get the work D. O. N. E...done.
And they will be B. E. A. utiful when they are.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't the money side always blow? I'm sitting here myself thinking I need about $1k in nitrous parts still, $360 for valve springs/injectors, thats just on the motor end, then you start sweating how long the trans and 10 bolt will survive a 200 shot.

Everyone on tech should play the Powerball, even split up that would be a huge chunk of change.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:05 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by SSFreak
^ Maybe if we put our heads to the grinding stone we can get most of the work done on these cars close to the 1 year mark. The Z28 will not take to long if we know what we're doing, and the Formula...might just take a little longer. But we can get the work D. O. N. E...done.
And they will be B. E. A. utiful when they are.
Yeah, the camaro is coming together quickly. I'm almost done with all the stuff I'm going to do in the engine bay other than two small things (abs delete and fixing the freeze plug), fabbing the turbo setup, and putting it back together. The formula on the other hand is going to take quite a bit of time. It's strictly a money issue at this point to get that one done.

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Doesn't the money side always blow? I'm sitting here myself thinking I need about $1k in nitrous parts still, $360 for valve springs/injectors, thats just on the motor end, then you start sweating how long the trans and 10 bolt will survive a 200 shot.

Everyone on tech should play the Powerball, even split up that would be a huge chunk of change.
That's the one thing that's keeping me from finishing this car. I basically have no money. Stupid crap always pops up and I end up having to spend a hundred dollars here, then some where else. All of the sudden I look at my bank account and I have almost nothing.

That's how this one is going to be. I guarantee in the first 5 times I launch it hard on the 325/50/15s it's going to blow the rear. Then I've got to worry about the transmission with such a beefy clutch. I just want to get it operational. I'm going back into spend nothing / extremely frugal mode. That should help me save up some money and get this thing finished.

The powerball idea doesn't sound that bad although it would end up like Bruce Almighty where they all win and get about $4 each.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
.The powerball idea doesn't sound that bad although it would end up like Bruce Almighty where they all win and get about $4 each.
BRUCE ALMIGHTY!!!! MY WILL BE DONE!!!! Watch out for any **** Dwelling butt Monkeys.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:10 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I went down to work on my 93 today, but oddly enough the angle grinder broke so I started messing with my Formula. I have a guy that wants to buy my loudmouth exhaust so I told him I'd take it off today. I'm also going to sell the cats to one of the guys on here that buys them.

We pushed it out of it's spot and put it up on the lift.

As it was up there we started checking things out. Oddly enough we noticed my car had a V6 car torque arm. Upon further checking it out we noticed that it had a major crack in it:

We worked our way forward checking it out and I noticed that I have some sort of different shifter in the car. Oddly enough I've never noticed this before:

I'm guessing it's the B&M one as it appears to be a similar color. Does anyone know which if I'm correct or what shifter that is? Either way it was a nice suprise.

What wasn't a nice suprise though was I found out why my AC was acting up:

The compressor is dying.

Originally Posted by silver95
I have seen injectors do that in the past....kills the motor pretty quick when you first turn it over. Did you smell anything in the oil?
I stuck my finger in the custom vent holes I added to the block to smell the oil. It most certainly smelt like gasoline. Not just a little either. I'm concluding at this point that a leaking fuel injector is to blame unless I find any evidence that points else where. It would also help explain my relatively crappy fuel economy prior to the block explosion.

Over all I wasn't too happy with the way the car has been taken care of. The underside of the car was covered in dirt and mud, the rear has a pinion leak (suprise supise), there's rear end fluid all around the rear, and there's a lot of corrosion on certain parts. Oddly enough my 93 is in better shape than this one is underneath the car. I'm going to completely redo this one like I'm currently doing to my 93. Pretty much everything is going to get swapped out. I'm going to implement a lot of the things I've done to my 93, but better now that I have some practical experience.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:39 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

This car stuff is a lot of work. Must be nice to have a lift to work with.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:03 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Caveman
This car stuff is a lot of work. Must be nice to have a lift to work with.
Well, I usually do everything on the ground. Here's my normal work space for my 93. The parking lot, although it has moved to a few different locations since this picture.

I was going to just jack the car up, but Jason just said to just push it up on the lift. The other funny thing was I always do everything with wreches and my ratchet. Jason and Mike were laughing at me when they noticed me breaking all the crusty exhaust bolts loose utilizing this method. Then, they pointed me in the mighty direction of the air impact wrech. That thing makes everything so much easier. The only downsides to the lift are your arms get tired from reaching up all the time and you get rained on from falling debris.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

geez i didn't know you wanted to sell that LM1..

I woulda bought it.

BTW...how'd them flasher's look,lol
Old 04-01-2008, 10:47 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Pro52R
geez i didn't know you wanted to sell that LM1..

I woulda bought it.

BTW...how'd them flasher's look,lol
If it falls through I'll let you know. The flasher thing was hilarious. The whole, "race" was hilarious. I'll let you know about the seats. I didn't get to do anything to it today other than take everything out, look around for the grinder, notice it's broken, try to fix it, fail, and put everything back in the car.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Teching In

[QUOTE=As it was up there we started checking things out. Oddly enough we noticed my car had a V6 car torque arm. Upon further checking it out we noticed that it had a major crack in it:

This is kinda funny having found out that there was a V6 torque arm in the Formula. That pretty much blew my mind when I heard that and saw this picture of the giganto crack in it. Go figure.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:11 AM
12 Second Club

Default Anyone know where to buy Camaro Engine Covers

Sorry to hear about this bro. Dont give up!
Old 04-03-2008, 06:40 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ I'm definetly not giving up. I was messing with it a little today. I yanked all of the heat shields off from underneath the car.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:45 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I started messing with the car today as I'm at a point on my 93 where I need to spend quite a bit of money that I don't have to continue working on it. Other than messing with the wiring that one is on hold.

A local guy is looking for a 98 throttle body so I decided to take mine off and sell it to him. This started me messing with the car and I figured it would be a good idea to pull the whole intake off and see if there was possibly anything still in there.

As I was disconnecting the fuel rails I noticed a some fluid sitting around cylinder 6.

Once I got the intake manifold pulled off it was pretty nasty inside. It had all sorts of dirt and mud like crap crammed in there:

When I lifted the intake manifold off of the engine and went to set it down quite a bit of some sort of fluid came running out of it:

This got me thinking that the car actually did hydrolock due to inhaling some sort of fluid through the intake manifold. I started checking out all the intake runners looking for anything out of the ordinary. Here's what cylinder 5 looks like:

It looks fine. There's not anything in it other than a little gunk.

Now, this is cylinder 6:

I think that almost speaks for itself.

I also noticed that my PCV hose has a giant chunk missing from it. I don't know if that contributed to anything going wrong, but I doubt it. It may have been a way for water to enter the intake.

I've been randomly gathering small parts to put this car back together. I recently acquired two sets of 2007 GSXR-750 throttle bodies. They look like this:

Each throttle body is 42mm in diameter. I'm going to take the front set of throttle blades and injectors off. Then, split them in half and make an intake manifold out of them. I have a few ideas on how I'm going to lay them out. I need to find someone that makes LS1 intake manifold flanges. If anyone has a link to them feal free to post it or PM it to me.

I'm going to continue working on the wiring for my 93 at night and continue working on this one during the day. If anyone could help me out identifying some wiring for my 93 it would be greatly appreciated:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=219

I'll also be posting up a large parts for sale thread. I have a lot of parts that have been sitting around the shop and in my garage for a long time. I need to buy a lot of parts so they're all on their way out. I'll post up a link once I get it up.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:38 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

We moved the car out of the back today. We were pleasantly greated by the hundreds of attack mosquitos. Here's what the car looked like after sitting outside for around 14 months without being washed:

I started off by hooking up the air hose and blasting off all of the leaves, dirt, and insects that had decided to take residence on my car.

Started rinsing it off:

The difference:

Finally clean:

There's still some residual pollen that I need to scrub off. Once I finished and let it start drying I noticed some areas on the door where it was still stuck on. I'm going to finish all of that, air up the tires, and do a few more things Thursday.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're making me sad. Another slow, painful death for a firebird.

On a happier note, is that a Daihatsu Charade back there?

Quick Reply: My Engine Committed Suicide Yesterday - RIP