Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

AR Headers tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default AR Headers tomorrow

Well, I dropped the car off today at Mike Norris Motorsports. Tomorrow, the AR headers will be a done deal. I'll be posting up the baseline run with A/F adjustments for the MAC mids that are coming off (before they come off, of course).

I'll also post graphs of the new AR headers. Hopefully I'll see a decent gain, though it's said frequently (here) that the MAC mids hold their own pretty well against most long tube headers ... guess I'll see tomorrow.

Anyone care to guess the RWHP/RWTQ gains? The MAC's with ORY have 1 3/4" primaries with Flowmaster Y welded in for better flow vs. the AR's will are 1 7/8" primaries with cat'd Y pipe.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm gonna say you'll put down 425-430, maybe 440? btw jack some kid i just started working with says he has dated your daughter...small world
Old 12-16-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

with a tune extra 15, 20max

where are you working?
and i just blackedout all my lights came out really nice.

and im about to order stage 2 PP heads should be putting down 550 n/a with the new intake and tune so will all have to race sometime.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Disturbed Bird
where are you working?
courtesy honda. i was out of a job, one of my family friends is the service manager there, hooked me up.

we'll all have to take a trip to the track once i get my motor, tranny, and rearend in the car, who knows how long it will take but I should be around the same power point as you guys!
Old 12-16-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

they need any porters?
Old 12-16-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh and
Old 12-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Banned

i'll ask tom for you
Old 12-16-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks
Old 12-17-2007, 04:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
i'm gonna say you'll put down 425-430, maybe 440? btw jack some kid i just started working with says he has dated your daughter...small world
Yeah, that would be Brandon Knauss. Brandon is a good friend of mine and he's one of the few young men who actually dated my daughter and doesn't have to look over his shoulder, afterwards. He and my daughter remain friends, as well.

I stop to talk to he and Bob Garcia, one of the service tech's there at Courtesy Honda from time-to-time, so, I'll see you down there before long. Glad to see you back to work so soon.

BTW, tell Danny your service manager I said 'hey'. He's a really great guy. I've bought 3 Honda's from them. Good team there at Courtesy for sure.

Last edited by JEB99TA; 12-17-2007 at 05:16 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:04 AM
On The Tree

Congrats!!! Bet your anxious as all get out. Can't wait to hear that beast.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Disturbed Bird
with a tune extra 15, 20max

where are you working?
and i just blackedout all my lights came out really nice.

and im about to order stage 2 PP heads should be putting down 550 n/a with the new intake and tune so will all have to race sometime.
I'm a retired US Army E-8 Master Sergeant and a Network Engineer for The Bank of New York Mellon Corporation Technical Services Group in Lake Mary.

Hey, the VHT blackout mod is a something I have been planning on doing forever ... just haven't had the time to do it. I may do it while I'm on vacation. I did it once before using wet grit #1200, then, finishing off the prep work with #2000 grit. It's a pretty easy mod if you take your time and do it right. Last time I saw your car. it was looking really nice ... makes me sometimes I wish I had my black 2000 TA back again.

As for the H/C, it's all about the combo. If you're keeping your 240/248 cam and fly-cutting, you might want to lean more towards the Stage 3 heads. What sort of compression ratio are you shooting for to squeeze 550 NA out of a 346 motor? I think you'd have to have a huge H/C package to make that kind of power up top and your low end would suck so bad it would kill your 1/4 mile times.

I'm going to the track Friday night. You ought to head down and we'll line 'em up and go at it heads-up. It's the last night the track is open this year. If you have your H/C done by January 9th, track opens back up and we can run 'em again to see the difference.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Lasombra52
Congrats!!! Bet your anxious as all get out. Can't wait to hear that beast.

Jason ... hey man ... hope things are good for you and you're having a good Holiday Season. Yeah, had the flu the past few days and looking forward to prepping the car to take to the track Friday night to see what it will do on these shitty Nitto's ... LOL! With cooler weather, lighter wheels/tires, new headers, good burnout, and swaybar off, I should see some much better times for sure. Wish I could have made the drive over with you folks on Saturday ... didn't wanna' make everyone sick ... :-(
Old 12-17-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

jack

the stage 3 wouldnt be any gain over the stage 2 b/c im running stock cubes. im getting the 59cc heads so ill be running high compression. it will gain me alot more torque and more power b/c the stock ls6 heads are starving my motor plus with the ported 90 and a retune thats what everyone guestamated my power level at. which couldnt be to hard to reach with my cam size.

my friend and i went to the track last wen. i didnt run my car no point i wouldnt get traction and if i did my brakes suck so i dont think i could stop in time. but im going to go once i get the topend on and tuned.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey All,

Jack just picked up his car and should be on here after a bit. The 1 7/8" headers fit great and the cats have all kinds of clearance. The car pulling away sounded great and had no raspiness to it as it did when it had the Mac's and OR Y on there.

I was very surprised at the gains from the change of the Mac's w/ OR to the ARH 1 7/8" w/ Cats with no tuning changes. I did a locked baseline run Sunday after Jack dropped off the car to have a fair comparison instead of going back to the old runs. My base runs were close to Jack's last dyno numbers.

I will let Jack post up the numbers if he wishes. I can tell you the gains were more then what was predicted here by Disturbed Bird before the tune. I can get more specific once Jack posts.

Have a good one all.

Mike Norris
Old 12-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
Jason ... hey man ... hope things are good for you and you're having a good Holiday Season. Yeah, had the flu the past few days and looking forward to prepping the car to take to the track Friday night to see what it will do on these shitty Nitto's ... LOL! With cooler weather, lighter wheels/tires, new headers, good burnout, and swaybar off, I should see some much better times for sure. Wish I could have made the drive over with you folks on Saturday ... didn't wanna' make everyone sick ... :-(
The cruise was great on Saturday, it was my first ever. Jason is a great guy and did a damn good job, along with momacoz to set that up. Make sure you post those times on Friday night when you get in!
Old 12-17-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike Norris
Hey All,

Jack just picked up his car and should be on here after a bit. The 1 7/8" headers fit great and the cats have all kinds of clearance. The car pulling away sounded great and had no raspiness to it as it did when it had the Mac's and OR Y on there.

I was very surprised at the gains from the change of the Mac's w/ OR to the ARH 1 7/8" w/ Cats with no tuning changes. I did a locked baseline run Sunday after Jack dropped off the car to have a fair comparison instead of going back to the old runs. My base runs were close to Jack's last dyno numbers.

I will let Jack post up the numbers if he wishes. I can tell you the gains were more then what was predicted here by Disturbed Bird before the tune. I can get more specific once Jack posts.

Have a good one all.

Mike Norris
damn thoughs mids must have really been holding him back. at least you have something alot better.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Default Reporting Gains > Final Numbers Are In

The pure SAE corrected numbers came out to a gain of +25 RWHP & +17 RWTQ. Mike and I both were astonished by the end result, especially since we added catalytic converters to the old MAC ORY equation on the intial base run.

Thanks to all ... and a great big thanks to Mike Norris for the super cost-effective professional installation ... never seen such a clean install ... absolutely pure perfection!

What a great day it's been ... on the way back home from Winter Garden, it was a TOTALLY different animal. Clean sound, much quieter/stealthy, and an absolute beast at W.O.T.

I'll let Mike expound on the rest ... Mike, what does 439.2 round up to? ... hehehe!

Oh yeah, Mike, thanks for resetting the pinion angle, which was waaaay off, as well. It definitely digs much harder out on the road.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

time to fix your sig

nice gains
Old 12-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
hey i think my guess was pretty damn close!
Old 12-17-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

It was right on time, brother ... good estimation in anyone's book. The car actually made 440 RWHP (uncorrected) on one of the dyno runs. The American Racing headers definitely unleashed some good power.

Quick Reply: AR Headers tomorrow