Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

New OSW rule

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All you need is 2 to 3 barricades in front of the water boxes, Hell, I'll even steal the barricades for you and Randy!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the most part, everyone on the board is right.... there are some cars that simply should never come out to Orlando Speed World, but it isn't fair to those people to turn away their business. You can't say,

"Hey, your car looks like it's going to blow an engine and oil the track. Don't show up".

It just happens, even to the best racers. I've seen very nice cars blow rear ends, leak fluid, shift their cars into reverse by accident and twist the driveshaft and on top of it leave a trail of transmission fluid down the track, and hit the wall, which obviously is the worst thing that can happen.

As far as the whole waterbox thing, the best thing to do is move to 1-2, because unless there are 10-15 cars there between all the classes, we clean the starting line of dust, debris, and water before every running of lanes 1-2, and I know 90% of the members here can pull a 13.99 time or quicker. It's just better for you. Sometimes I will happen to catch total 1st timers, and I tell them just to go around... but others insist on dragging their asses through it. I guess they'll have to learn for themselves that 10-second burnouts on every pass on street tires tend to get real expensive, real quick.

I personally try and get most of the dousche-baggery out of OSW by telling people to turn down their systems, check to see if there is only one passenger in the car, making sure that everyone is following dress code, making sure that everyone is behind the yellow line in the staging lanes so nobody gets hit with debris from the cars in the waterboxes, and keeping the Pro Cycle guys from cutting ahead of the Jr. Dragsters.

It is a **** ton of work for $9/hr. For the most part, all of the OSW employees haul pretty good weight when it comes to the workload, but of course in every job there is always the one person that seems to just slack off, and it is very aggravating doing so many things at once with almost no help. I remember a handful of times last year where I was trying to push the boxes, pull cars, and run the starting line all at the same time... all because somebody didn't call in and say that they weren't coming.

I am not going to pump my chest up about this, but I feel that I do a lot more "extra credit" type stuff at OSW than most of the employees there, like teaching people the "101" about drag racing to improve their times, cutting down on the morons that want to blare their music, preventing drunken idiots from making their way down the track (yes, it has happened before) and making sure that everyone is having a good time and being as safe as possible. I do it because I always like to go the extra mile, and in the long run it really does make a difference. Unfortunately all of the "enforcing" that I do at the head of the staging lanes makes me appear as if I am some power-driven-thick-headed dousche, but I do it ultimately for the customers, because I know that whatever I am doing is in their best interest, even if they do not know it. The people that end up getting to know me end up laughing at the front of the lanes, because I do like to spread humor as I work, but it is always the first timers that tend to mumble curse words under their breath, be an intentional pain in the ***, quickly give me the finger when they think I'm not looking, and ask me "if I'm having fun doing what I'm doing" when I tell them that they (or their friends) can't race because of some sort of violation.

Do I like doing what I'm doing at OSW? For the most part I do.... there are certain jobs that I completely dislike (like pushing the boxes for entire events), and I really like interacting with everybody and making a difference. Personally I like pulling cars the best, because it gives me a chance to talk to everyone, give people advice, laugh, and allows me to correct something that I see is wrong, and do so in a professional manner. In a way, it is kind of like law enforcement (which as most of you know is something I plan on doing in the future ), and I enjoy it a lot. Of course there are times when it gets frustrating, but that comes with every job. I think that what I'm doing there will most certainly make a difference.... you'll just have to wait and see it come into effect

Wow, this was a long post. That's my very large $.02
Old 01-11-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, guess I need a helmet now. I'd been pissed if I drove all the way out to Orlando, only to not have a helmet and not known my non-existing traction high 13's would require one.
I always go around the box. Kinda a awkward motion though if going in the right lane, then again I've only been there twice, so perhaps I just don't feel natural yet.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

Well, that's why I post bulletins like this...to make sure that people don't come out and waste their valuable time.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good post Dana, when did they change the 1 and 2 lanes to 13.99 it used to be 12.99, used to keep the riff/raff in the slower lanes!
Old 01-11-2008, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See you guys Sunday with my Rotory motor and sheet metal bodied car, no helmet and pool noodle cage!!!
Old 01-11-2008, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Steve68
Good post Dana, when did they change the 1 and 2 lanes to 13.99 it used to be 12.99, used to keep the riff/raff in the slower lanes!
I also thought it was 12.99

guess not...

I LOVE going to the track, just seems pointless on any T&T or Funday Sunday anymore.

Ill stick to points Nights
Old 01-11-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Regular

It depends on the event, but for TNT nights it is 13.99 and quicker for 1 and 2, 14.00 and slower for 3-6, and Pro Cycle/Jr. Dragsters in 7
Old 01-11-2008, 04:42 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

You must have slicks or dragradials to run in 1 &2 or BIG John is gonna pick your car up and throw it into lane 3.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Caveman
You must have slicks or dragradials to run in 1 &2 or BIG John is gonna pick your car up and throw it into lane 3.
Is that true??? never heard that before,
Old 01-11-2008, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good read Dana ... a lot of folks notice your efforts ... I for one. See ya' 'round OSW soon (with my helmet) > LOL!
Old 01-11-2008, 06:58 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by slowmofo
I also thought it was 12.99

guess not...

I LOVE going to the track, just seems pointless on any T&T or Funday Sunday anymore.

Ill stick to points Nights
See you Sunday!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by VSGLS1
See you Sunday!
looks like I will be there to watch... Im not even going to attemp to bring my car out..
Old 01-12-2008, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am still going to the track just to get the launch down. so I usually get what I want out of my launch and then go ***** to the walls till 3rd gear then let out the rest of the way. haha. no helmet needed.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Regular

I appreciate the compliment Jack. I guess I'll be seeing everyone around.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Now any car that hits 13.999 will tell people they have to wear a helmet because they are so fast LOL! Can't wait to see all the new helmets people will be buying. On a side note, Thanks for posting updates on the track rules and events. I am all for the rules and enjoy OSW very much.

Quick Reply: New OSW rule