Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

New OSW rule

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New OSW rule

Hello everyone,

The new helmet rule is for cars that go 13.99 or quicker instead of 13.49.

Also, if the car goes 9.99 or quicker, a full face helmet is required.

Hope to see everyone at the track!
Old 01-10-2008, 11:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So does that mean at mid-12s I can wear my Harley
"party hat" instead of the G-Force full face?
Old 01-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

so i have to wear a helmet when i runs 12.0s now????
Old 01-10-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

You always had to wear a helmet if you ran a 12.0.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

Suprised to hear that is new. I've had friends thrown out for no helmet while only runing in the high 13's. If I'm not mistaken 13.99 and faster has been a NHRA helmet requirement for a long time.

Additionally I have a friend who ran a blown 9 sec pro street camaro all the time at OSW with only a 4 point hoop, no cage, so to get tough on enforcing hements over half a second difference is a little weird
Old 01-10-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Regular

Since the beginning of 2007, we have gotten EXTREMELY strict with our rules. I don't know how he got past Tech with almost no safety equipment, but here are the rules for a 9.99 car.....

Full face helmet, full cage, 5pt safety harness, Fire jacket, NHRA license
Old 01-10-2008, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

To be quite honest, I'm all for enforcing it, to look at some of the stuff running down that track it's scary at times. It's also those people that don't follow the rules that bring crap in that breaks and kills the run time for the rest of us. Can you say rotary straped to a piece of rolled sheet metal?

It's a pain going anymore with all the down time.mYabe enforcing stuff may cut down on the riff raff half a$$ rides, um I mean race cars, yeah race cars
Old 01-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I already have a full face helmet, but still curious. Did this change the rules for convertibles at all?
Old 01-10-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

lol mustang guys won't have to wear helmets

just kidding...
Old 01-10-2008, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

Maybe there could be an "import and mustang no helmet night", seeing as Cobras are low production maybe we could let them slide and run with us
Old 01-10-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by efizjb
To be quite honest, I'm all for enforcing it, to look at some of the stuff running down that track it's scary at times. It's also those people that don't follow the rules that bring crap in that breaks and kills the run time for the rest of us. Can you say rotary straped to a piece of rolled sheet metal?

It's a pain going anymore with all the down time.mYabe enforcing stuff may cut down on the riff raff half a$$ rides, um I mean race cars, yeah race cars
I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't mind a full tech inspection if it meant a few less idiots on the track.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:30 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by efizjb
Maybe there could be an "import and mustang no helmet night", seeing as Cobras are low production maybe we could let them slide and run with us
Going Sunday?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went 10.60s in my 67 there with no seatbelts in the car back in the day.... that used to not give a damn
Old 01-10-2008, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by VSGLS1
Going Sunday?
Thinking about it, looks like rain.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:33 PM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about this.......along with enforcing existing NHRA rules, make it a point to keep cars with anything other than a DR or slick from going through the water box and ruining it for the people who actually know what they're doing?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie Carbone
How about this.......along with enforcing existing NHRA rules, make it a point to keep cars with anything other than a DR or slick from going through the water box and ruining it for the people who actually know what they're doing?
Don't get me started. The people with open differentials on radial tires are the best. They still think they're cars are so beastly they can't get traction off the line at a prepped track
Old 01-11-2008, 12:34 AM
TECH Regular

Well, unfortunately the only race that we actually do a full tech before cars go down the track are at the Street Nationals, NHRA Lucas Oil, and I believe Fun Ford weekend.

Other than that, we let tech just get you in and fill out the card, and it's the starter and staging lane personnel job to make sure that you're obeying the rules..... thus why I look like the Orlando Speed World Sheriff when I have to pull people out of cars for wearing shorts and sandals, and make sure that cars have the proper equipment before going down the track.

Also, in an unfortunate case, we can't impose a rule stating that all those without DR's cannot make their way through the waterboxes. Plus, that would be waaaaayyyy too much of a pain in the *** to enforce. All I am going to say is that if you can run 13.99 or quicker, just show up in lanes 1 and 2 and you won't have to deal with it (we clean the starting line before each running of 1 and 2 so that water and dust and debris is not an issue).

Obviously I am not going to say "Hey, don't come to OSW on Sunday", but as always, check the weather report before heading out.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:57 AM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ragingwolf51
Also, in an unfortunate case, we can't impose a rule stating that all those without DR's cannot make their way through the waterboxes. Plus, that would be waaaaayyyy too much of a pain in the *** to enforce. All I am going to say is that if you can run 13.99 or quicker, just show up in lanes 1 and 2 and you won't have to deal with it (we clean the starting line before each running of 1 and 2 so that water and dust and debris is not an issue).
Why would it be so hard?

Would it be so hard to put up a sign at the ticket booth or the entry to the staging lanes?

Even better, just hand out a sheet with a short list of what not to do like a Racing for Dummies type thing and hand them out with tech cards to people that drive their cars in, obviously the people with trailered cars should know what they're doing.

Just a thought.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:12 AM
11 Second Club

A short handout would be great, besides those who think they are cool in the water box, there are new people that just don't know and think that the right thing to do watching other idiots doing it.

Why does it **** me off? Because it wastes time when front drive 15+ sec cars kill time doing a burnout "in" the waterbox , then someone like me who likes to get them (drag radials or slick) hot for an 11 sec pass gets rushed to the line before I'm even producing smoke. I paid for use of the track, not to get two passes on a Sunday because nobody cares. There I spilled my bucket.

A simple etiquette handout or basic track rules for street radials and such would go a long way
Old 01-11-2008, 06:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I really dont like going to OSW anymore. It's somewhat of a waste of time and the $15. Honestly there are a few reasons.

I agree on the safety equipment thing. It SHOULD be enforced.

I agree with the guys on the water box. People who dont know what they are doing are just gay and wasting time and making a mess with the water for the rest. People with stock pickup trucks are bad about this. ****, back in the day my buddy could do a nasty burnout on his 4cyl S10 5 speed... But that doesn't mean he would go to the track with it and take it through the water box.

And then the **** box cars wasting time by breaking and leaking **** down the track. It happens every single time I go. Takes forever to clean up some one's mess. You know the cars I'm talking about. (not being car specific, can be anything from a civic to a 3rdgen or a mustang.. etc..)

And then whats up with the the grandma cars running 4 or 5 passengers deep down the track. I know they want your $15 but damn. There should be somekind of common sense.

It's fun every now and then, but I can't see going regularly anymore. I used to go all the time about 9 years ago.. Like every other week.. It's still fun though occasionally.

On the way to work, I just thought of something else. They should enforce somekind of anti-douchebag rule. You know what I'm talking about.. LoL. Actually on a sidenote, sometimes it's fun. We always joke and make fun of all the assclowns. Like those, that sit there in the staging lanes bumping their systems, seats laid back acting all hard... Then roll out with a 16 sec 1/4.. haha.

Rant off... sorry.
Steve

Last edited by Steve01SS; 01-11-2008 at 07:24 AM.

Quick Reply: New OSW rule