Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Carter Edwards / Edwards Motorsports???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008 | 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

Default Carter Edwards / Edwards Motorsports???

I bought a car about a year ago from another forum member (Eligio), with the listing put up by his friend ls1ified.
Everything about the car has been legit thus far, but I'm trying to track down where the cylinder heads that are on the motor came from originally. I was given several receipts for the engine build (forged bottom end), etc, but the TEA 1.5 853 heads that are supposedly on the motor don't have a receipt or anything due to them being purchased used by Eligio.
I called NextLevelPerformance out of Orlando (they tuned the car), and they said they know who Carter Edwards is from forums, clubs etc, but no one has heard from him lately (like he got out of the fbody scene). He's the contact that all the receipts I have were addressed to.
The reason I'm needing to know all this is because I've got the heads for sale and I'd like to prove they're TEA ported heads for potential buyers that are asking.
I'm also trying to find out if Carter Edwards builds a good motor. This thing has mahle pistons, compstar rods (will verify tonight when I pull the pan), and a stock crank. I'm putting a single turbo on the car and was hoping I was putting it on a good built bottom end. Anybody ever heard of this guy/shop? (tried a search but only a couple threads that mention him and they don't say much). Thanks guys.

Last edited by Photochop; 01-17-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-17-2008 | 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Carter's a good guy ... never knew him very well ... haven't heard from him in awhile, but, 4 months ago he logged in to the MySpace link below. His Friends on the MySpace might be able to help you commincate with Carter.

EDIT - Removed NON-SPONSOR info

Last edited by next; 01-18-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-17-2008 | 06:19 PM
Banned

Carter pretty much got out of the car scene. He's tied up in his band at the moment I guess. I haven't seen or talked to him in god nows how long, last contact I had was when he tried adding his band to my myspace friendlist. He's built a lot of motors but from what I hear they have a reliability problem (from what I've heard!). He's cool though, I'm sure he'll help you out once you get a hold of him.
Old 01-17-2008 | 09:24 PM
12 Second Club

i know of 3 friends who carter did there cars. one was a f13/heads/90 and made 450rw on norris's dyno. another was a 408 that made 500+ on the same dyno. he does good work
Old 01-17-2008 | 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Iv met him once and heard some good things about him. He went to my highschool but was older and I just remember someone pointing out his really fast camaro to me.
Old 01-17-2008 | 11:19 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys. I went ahead and spent the $40 to have the heads flowed that I'm trying to sell. Should have the numbers for them tomorrow.
As far as this motor goes, we got it on a stand a pulled the oil pan tonight. I had been having lower than normal oil pressure issues going on, so I pulled the pump, it looked ok (hard to say if an oil pump is bad visually), but we also checked a couple main bearings. Lets just say they didn't look too hot for a motor with only 10K miles on it. My guess is the main studs were installed and the main caps weren't line honed. Guess I'm taking this thing apart, ordering new bearings, having the crank micropolished, and having the hone checked. GRRR irritating.

Last edited by Photochop; 01-18-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-19-2008 | 10:04 AM
10 Second Club

You have a PM with some info that may help you track down more information about the cylinder heads.
Old 01-19-2008 | 11:22 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Heads flowed for $40? Damn that's cheap.
Originally Posted by 02EBZO6
Thanks guys. I went ahead and spent the $40 to have the heads flowed that I'm trying to sell. Should have the numbers for them tomorrow.
As far as this motor goes, we got it on a stand a pulled the oil pan tonight. I had been having lower than normal oil pressure issues going on, so I pulled the pump, it looked ok (hard to say if an oil pump is bad visually), but we also checked a couple main bearings. Lets just say they didn't look too hot for a motor with only 10K miles on it. My guess is the main studs were installed and the main caps weren't line honed. Guess I'm taking this thing apart, ordering new bearings, having the crank micropolished, and having the hone checked. GRRR irritating.
Old 01-19-2008 | 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've heard both good and bad things about Carter Edwards Motor sports.
Old 01-19-2008 | 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hennytime
i know of 3 friends who carter did there cars. one was a f13/heads/90 and made 450rw on norris's dyno. another was a 408 that made 500+ on the same dyno. he does good work

These were both of my motors.
I have had nothing but great results with Carter's work. He has done every major mod on my car since the day I bought it.
He has gotten out of the machanic/car thing and is working full time with his band ( they were recently on tour that just finished up earlier this month). As far as the heads being TEA they should have the company logo on them somwhere, or at least the ones he did for me do. My 404 was the last motor he built before leaving on tour. He did it as a favor because I had been such a loyal customer for so many years. I have about 7k on this motor so far and it doesn't use a drop of oil and runs great.
The only complaints I ever had with him is he is tough to get ahold of and take his time to do a project.
If you have any questions PM me I do have his phone number and can maybe find out some of the info you are looking for.
Old 01-19-2008 | 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

ya, didnt think you were into cars much anymore drew, i knew a couple cam only cars he did and it took him a couple hours to get them in and out.
Old 01-19-2008 | 04:43 PM
11 Second Club

Talked to Carter himself this afternoon. He was kind enough to give me a call back regarding the heads and the motor itself. Had the heads flowed, they're a surprisingly good set. They were an early set done by TEA (CNC'd and hand blended). We tore the rest down today, the main bearings and rod bearings weren't in the greatest condition, but no big deal. I'm trying to decide if I want to mess with freshening this one up or parting the stuff out and starting with a different shortblock. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again for the responses guys.

Quick Reply: Carter Edwards / Edwards Motorsports???