Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Carry Weapon > Which option would you pick?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Carry Weapon > Which option would you pick?

Since no-one seems to have what I'm looking for used, I'd like your opinions (especially if you're law enforcement or a gun broker/dealer) on this carry weapon:

http://www.naaminis.com/guard.html

http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=GNAA32

PRO'S: Knockdown power; easiest concealable carry weapon I've found; double-action slide (not a tip-up barrel) offers a full 4" barrel for better accuracy.

CON'S: Cost; unknown brand (to me); please point out any other con's you see.

Also, for a carry weapon, I'd like your opinions on the ammo I plan to utilize"

http://www.federalcartridge.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=7

Last edited by JEB99TA; 04-06-2008 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you been to www.gunbroker.com.? They have a Kel-Tec P-32 for $300 that seems a little cheaper.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't go wrong with Federal Ammo. As far as gun choice, Not to sure about the first one(haven't heard much about them), and can't get the second to pull up. I always say go with a glock, and if your wanting something small for carry/concealment go with a glock27 which is a 40 cal and it is about the size of the first choice you have up there and lighter. Taurus Millenium Pro's are pretty nice as well, so are the Keltecs. All are very concealable and very easy to carry and shoot.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

I just found a S&W .380 SIGMA on Gunbroker that has a little more stopping power and it fits in the palm of your hand.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Launching!

Kel Tec's are a great firearm, I have two P3AT (.380 about $270) and PF9 (9mm about $340) the .380 is the the smallest with the PF9 only about a half an inch longer in barrel and grip, but both are very thin and concealable. As far as stopping power, any firearm is going to be deadly enough to stop an aggressor as long as your accurate; most confrontations with aggressors or "bad guys" usually occur within 7 yards or less. When it comes to carrying a firearm, the best thing to do is shoot a lot at your local range and become familiar with your weapon so you can place your shots and not just spray bullets everywhere.
here is a link to Kel Tec's website: http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/products.html
Old 04-06-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

I agree w/ 1fastls1ss. I was just on Floridagunexchanges website looking at the Kel-Tec line they have all the fit in the palm of your hand pistols in a .32/.380/9mm .There is a gun show on April 19-20 in Deland @ the Volusia County Fair grounds that will give you more of a variety of dealers & guns.

Last edited by blk/slvr02ss; 04-06-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

I had a Taurus PT145, it was fine except for the double action trigger.
At first I didn't mind but over time, instead of getting better with practice, I grew to hate the long-*** trigger pull. JMHO
I prefer a hair trigger for accuracy, the little dinky gun that was too small for my hand (I'm 6'1" 215lbs) combined with the long two-notch trigger, made it hard to hit anything without slow, serious concentration.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fastls1ss
As far as stopping power, any firearm is going to be deadly enough to stop an aggressor as long as your accurate; most confrontations with aggressors or "bad guys" usually occur within 7 yards or less. [/url]
Agreed. Don't get caught up in "stopping power". Getting shot is getting shot, no matter what size the round is. I seriously doubt if you had to use your gun in an encounter the "bad guy" will care what size the bullet was that just went in him....more than likely he's gonna die or to try get the **** out. "Stopping power" is for guys with small dicks that have to have something big to brag about in their life. (lol, this coming from a guy that carries a .45)
Old 04-06-2008, 09:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by black00ssFL
Agreed. Don't get caught up in "stopping power". Getting shot is getting shot, no matter what size the round is. I seriously doubt if you had to use your gun in an encounter the "bad guy" will care what size the bullet was that just went in him....more than likely he's gonna die or to try get the **** out. "Stopping power" is for guys with small dicks that have to have something big to brag about in their life. (lol, this coming from a guy that carries a .45)
Ahhh, while accuracy is more important than power, power does matter. If the bad guy is coked up and his adrenaline is pumping and things are moving fast, I'd like to make the biggest hole possible and maybe even knock him down.

There are a lot of stories of cops putting 3-4 9mm's in a guy and he keeps going long enough to get a shot or 2 off. Sure he may die later, but his damage was done.

There are not many stories of perps taking 3-4 44mag. rounds and still fighting.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by troopercar
Ahhh, while accuracy is more important than power, power does matter. If the bad guy is coked up and his adrenaline is pumping and things are moving fast, I'd like to make the biggest hole possible and maybe even knock him down.

There are a lot of stories of cops putting 3-4 9mm's in a guy and he keeps going long enough to get a shot or 2 off. Sure he may die later, but his damage was done.

There are not many stories of perps taking 3-4 44mag. rounds and still fighting.
EXACTLYYYYY
Old 04-06-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with that too, just saying that stopping power is only part of the equation. Not saying he should carry around a .22 caliber, lol. I'm pretty sure my Sig P220 would stop a coked up "bad guy" no problem.....although the 7 round mags suck.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a KelTec P3AT .380 and a Glock .45. The glock is going to have more stopping power, but either is better than none. I carry which ever fits my clothing du jour.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Great feedback from all and a lot of good pointers. I guess buying a handgun is like modding our cars ... depends on what your goals are and personal preferences are.

As for the recommended weapons of choice, I've been looking, the past week or so, at all the ones mentioned above and your advice is more than welcome.

I do want the following in a carry weapon:

1. A trigger that requires more than 5-7 lbs of pull pressure, because, too sensitive a trigger might cause me to kill someone who is otherwise backing out of a situation when they realize they're about to shot. Most situations are reactionary in nature. I carried and qualified with a .45 and a 9mm for many years in my 21 years in the Army, so, shooting a threat is not going to ne a thought process. It's going to be a reaction, thus, I would kill instead using a reasoning-type process ... or shooting out of nervousness.

2. A solid metal small frame which is well-balanced and the size is more controllable. Meaning an aluminum lower frame/polymer lower mid-size frame with a larger upper receiver is a little more difficult to hold on to and re-gain aim between rounds. Most of the weight is up top and the recoil isn't absorbed so much through the lower frame.

3. The NAA Gaurdian .32 ACP is the smallest of even all the .25's I've looked at and the .32 HYDRA-SHOK FMJ hollow point will not only penetrate, but, will also expand while doing so ... supposedly 'packs a punch' about like a .38 standard soft lead hollow point with less recoil and less nighttime flash. Things I am looking for, as well.

4. While a little more expensive than some handguns, I found it online at R&R Firearms for $331.24 online ... no tax ... depending on the shipping, it might be cheaper than I first though.

Thanks for all the great recommendations and keep them coming. I just haven't found an overall carry weapon as small balanced, and effective as the one I'm looking hardest at. While the The NAA Gaurdian .32 ACP has a few drawbacks to some, they're qualities I'm looking for for my needs. I only wish I had done this kind of research before I first started modding the Trans Am.

Thanks again and please, if you have something that fits what I'm looking for, by all means I'm all for something better and open to all suggestions.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by black00ssFL
I agree with that too, just saying that stopping power is only part of the equation. Not saying he should carry around a .22 caliber, lol. I'm pretty sure my Sig P220 would stop a coked up "bad guy" no problem.....although the 7 round mags suck.
FYI- Sirhan Sirhan killed Robert Kennedy with only three shots from a .22 revolver.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

4 shots 'supposedly' ... and there were 10 bullets fired, striking a total of 5 people. It can't really be determined where the magic bullets came from ... prob from a rifle ... with deadly accuracy ... the .22 LR bullet which pierced the top of his head and killed him. Too much controversy on the subject, so, please keep the thread on track.

Still open to all recommendations ... .22 caliber is out of the question simply because rimfire rounds are known for misfires. I don't think anyone ever made centerfire rounds for .22 caliber auto's, did they? Not sure.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

Glock 26, 9mm. Decent knock down power, easy to conceal , fairly accurate for a smaller gun, reliable & the ammo is cheap for todays market.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think at this point man you'll be better off going to that gun show coming up in Deland. If you can't find something you like there then I don't know what to tell ya.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:24 PM
10 Second Club

Gun shows suck, overpriced!
Old 04-06-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I carry a Glock 19, and I feel that is all a person needs. It has plenty of knock down power, very easy to conceal, never had a missfire, besides most will scatter when they hear it going off.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did a gun trade at a show, and basically got more than I paid new for the gun I traded, so I was happy.

Quick Reply: Carry Weapon > Which option would you pick?