Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Gas prices around the world

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas prices around the world

I saw this on jaxraing, and thought I'd share.
This can make you rethink the gas prices here.

http://www.jaxracing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41827
Old 04-26-2008, 12:04 AM
10 Second Club

gas is up to 3.70 a gallon here lol
Old 04-26-2008, 12:53 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish gas was only eleven cents a gallon here.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I ws stationed in Germany in 1979, gas was about the same there, then ... as it is here, now. So, I wish it were cheaper (and it will be).
Old 04-26-2008, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to see wage an hour in relation to thier gas rices. Our salaries haven't changed, but the fuel cost (and much else) damn sure has. BTW Denise, ya'll holla this weekend-
Old 04-26-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Regular

Our gov't plans on raising(and has been) our min. wage and tells us, "hey look what were doing for you" but in return that makes everything else goods wise rise in price in return some more than others such as gas, milk, a box of f*$#%& cereal!

Everything is going to increase to all out ridiculous prices and at some point it has to stop but at what point? And once we reach that point what happens?
Economy crash, major reform among imported and exproted goods, gov't reform?
Old 04-26-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bakken oil foundation in North Dakota holds 200,000-400,000 billion barrels of crude and we have just recently gained the technology to drill down away from the lake and then drill horizontally under the lake wher this formation is. It's supoosed to hold more crude oil than all of Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia has to offer.

The problem is there haven't been enough refineries built and current ones upgarded which will refine that much oil .... looks like in the not-so-distant future gas will someday be down to about 60 cents per gallon ... lots of people buying hybrid cars, as well. Another 10 years and it's predicted (by some) we won't be dependant on oil from foriegn countries at all. Of course, the only recourse until then is to strive to achieve the training, schooling, or know-how to make more than minimum wage so we can afford this sh**.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one station here has a gallon of premium listed at $3.99. This is now worse than when I left CA almost 2 years ago. That used to be my big joke, "Well out in CA I was paying $3.80 for 91." Well now its that bad here.

But yeah gas has gone up almost $1.50 since I started my current job a little over a year ago, but I still only make $10.50/hr, WTF? Cutting into my mod money.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Banned

What has changed soo much in the world in the past 5 years that have made gas prices rise 300%+ over what is what through most of the 90s and the beginning of this decade?

Gas prices pretty much stayed right around the $1 mark from the 70s to late 90s, why all the sudden the outrageous increases?

I blame the EU for the crazy petrol prices in Europe, but then again the Euro and the "pound" dwarf the dollar right now at an average of 2 dollars to 1 Euro/pound. Do quick math and thats $3.95 a gallon in the UK when that data was collected. Unless they averaged in the exchange rate in that data. So really it's not all that outrageous in Europe considering their monetary units are stronger than ours.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
Bakken oil foundation in North Dakota holds 200,000-400,000 billion barrels of crude and we have just recently gained the technology to drill down away from the lake and then drill horizontally under the lake wher this formation is. It's supoosed to hold more crude oil than all of Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia has to offer.

The problem is there haven't been enough refineries built and current ones upgarded which will refine that much oil .... looks like in the not-so-distant future gas will someday be down to about 60 cents per gallon ... lots of people buying hybrid cars, as well. Another 10 years and it's predicted (by some) we won't be dependant on oil from foriegn countries at all. Of course, the only recourse until then is to strive to achieve the training, schooling, or know-how to make more than minimum wage so we can afford this sh**.

COME ONNN, COME ONNNNNNNNN, it needs to happen NOW
Old 04-26-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
What has changed soo much in the world in the past 5 years that have made gas prices rise 300%+ over what is what through most of the 90s and the beginning of this decade?

Gas prices pretty much stayed right around the $1 mark from the 70s to late 90s, why all the sudden the outrageous increases?

I blame the EU for the crazy petrol prices in Europe, but then again the Euro and the "pound" dwarf the dollar right now at an average of 2 dollars to 1 Euro/pound. Do quick math and thats $3.95 a gallon in the UK when that data was collected. Unless they averaged in the exchange rate in that data. So really it's not all that outrageous in Europe considering their monetary units are stronger than ours.
Gas prices have risen so much due to increasing demand. Booming economies out of China and India have greatly contributed to this. The crude oil futures are trading so far above 100 dollars a barrel for most of the year, but that can change. The speculators have to predict the price, and they are right quite often based on the fundamentals. Also anytime there are increased tensions among the Persian gulf, prices will be higher.

Last edited by blackbirdls1; 04-26-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Regular

I read a report from Fox news and Yahoo! news stating that the leader of Saudi Arabia and another major oil contributing country to the U.S. said that they have heard nothing of a supply and demand issue. They are producing plenty of oil and that the economy is to blame for the prices.

The actual price of our dollar has fallen and that inturns increases our importing prices, now if that's 100% true or not IDK. If that was the case why is worldwide prices on an increase as well?

Also what I find humurous is that Bush is telling the IRS to send out the tax rebates a few weeks early in hope to boost the economy sooner than expected but what are most people going to do??? Pay past due bills and catch up on payments. Most are not going to go out and buy a 50 or 60" Plasma or buy tons of clothes or hell even build an all out forged 408 or other as I wish I could.

So how would paying bills or putting the money in savings help the economy now?
Old 04-26-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The decrease in the dollar has a lot to due with higher oil also, I can get technical on this subject but it would take a bit of my time.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm might be wrong on this, but if they want the economy to come back up, lower gas prices, put a cap on this bullshit. If it went back down to $2.50 a gallon I might consider dating chicks going to UCF and driving to Tampa then and eating out and spoiling them.
Right now I see it as a two hour drive round trip that consumes my fuel.

Or maybe I might go to OSW more often instead of seeing that as a $60 tank of fuel seeing as its about a 2 hour drive both ways. Even though I have a company truck I drive all week, I'm still pissed when I have to go out, cause its usually a distance that empties the tank........... I can't imagine all the people that have to drive their POV all week.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:45 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ That would be the true way to change the economy. If you think about it ever time you fill up you'd be saving around $20. For me having to fill up at least once a week that's $80 a month. That's only for one of my cars too. If you throw in the other two once they're finished. That's around $240 each month in gas if I drove them all the same amount as I do my one now.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

I know this might be way out of the ? But if you look at a timeline of events, do you think the 9-11/terrorism could have been a trigger to the fall in our economy?

After 9-11 people and the economy went on the save money and be conservative binge especially once the war with Iraq started fearing that we may have major issues in the near future which we are anyways.

If this is true the next part is somewhat of a defeat acceptance. What is the primary goals of the terrorist? Destroy democracy,americans, etc. What is a way that they can achieve this by a few single actions (ex: 9-11) Cripple our economy!

If this all stemmed from the terrorism tree I hate to say they are close to achieving their goal. IF this is true.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:22 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ It most certainly was a contributing factor. It hurt our economy big time, propogated an extremely expensive war, and many other things. I wouldn't say they are close to achieving their goals. I'd say the moment those planes smashed into the buildings they achieved their goals. They wanted to kill, scare people, and hurt our economy and they did a really good job of it.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

Well, there are a TON of factors that influence the way the economy is headed, and most of the signs don't look all too good.

First, you most certainly have to consider the tragedy of September 11th, 2001. Remember, it all started with the airline companies. Nobody wanted to fly anymore due to the attacks on the WTC, Pentagon, and 93 Pennsylvania flight until changes were made (or until they got over their fear of becoming a victim). So what happened? People jumped into their cars and started driving everywhere, even coast to coast. This put an increase on demand in the use of fuel, so in the basic economical sense, when demand is high, prices can be made higher to create the most revenue possible (of course, without being too insane about it).

Second, you have to look at the value of the dollar and it's worth before, during, and after 9/11, and who was in charge of preserving the delicate balance of inflation and spending. Before the attacks, the dollar was pretty strong and the economy was in an economical "boom". This is because we were seen as the "all powerful" and "indestructible", but when the other countries saw us take a serious blow, some of the trust that had been given to us in regards to our security almost vanished into thin air. To use a metaphor, picture a school bully get taken out by the quietest and shortest kid in school. What happens to the reputation of that bully, and how does it affect the way HE does business? Will kids continue to give him their lunch money? Possibly, but some will see the other kid as the new sheriff in town, and change the entire paradigm of the school.

Now, what did that 'bully' (and I use the term bully very lightly in comparison with the US) do? Well, the United States created a war economy, but without the desired affects. A war economy is generally a booming time, but this was not the case as we were not fighting a battle on the scale of WWI or WWII. We are fighting a Vietnam-like war, and just like in the 70's, the economy saw a dive. People weren't supporting the country, weren't supporting our country's goods, and the Government is trying to prevent the Modern Day 'communist' from spreading across a given area.

And what are we doing to try and quicken the end to that 'spread'? WE THREW BILLIONS OF U.S DOLLARS AT IT!! Which brings me back to my point above. We almost did what the Germans did in the 1920's by almost creating Hyperinflation (where so much paper money was produced that it debased the entire value of gold that was used to support it) and it began to form a social upheaval, which unfortunately, lead to the **** regime from 1933-1945. In a hyperinflation economy, people put their money elsewhere (like many are doing with the Euro now).

Guess what happened then? PEOPLE PROTESTED THE WAR, which is the ultimate blow in this Trifecta. When a country doesn't stand by its goods, what are other countries going to do? Sell their stuff here. This was the exact same deal as in the 70's. Gas got short, American cars weren't their 'top-notch' in quality, and Americans didn't necessarily NEED what Detroit was putting out.... so what did the American people do? They bought cars and products from overseas! They bought what they REALLY needed... good quality cars with better gas mileage. And who made all of the profits??? Foreign markets did!

So, now gas prices are on the rise. Unless you're sending something by e-mail, everything has to travel to its final destination by some means of transportation powered by an internal combustion engine at some stage in the process. What do those internal combustion engines need to run? FUEL! So what do the companies that have to ship products do in order to level that extra expense out? They raise the price of their goods! Now, when everyone raises the prices of their goods, what do people always demand? HIGHER WAGES!!!

This is a vicious cycle, and it must be stopped. Unfortunately, gas prices are going to continue an upward trend (take into account the seasons/etc...) AT LEAST until Bush gets out of office. Things will not SERIOUSLY change until 2010, when some Congressmen and Representatives of the House get their seats changed as well, and a TRUE reformation can begin.

THIS IS WHERE IT COUNTS!!!!!! YOU have the choice to determine who is going to fill those seats! YOU are going to determine who is going to be your voice for the next 4-6 years, so in essence, it is partially up to each of YOU to help restore our economy back to normal.

/post
Old 04-28-2008, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

they are hiking the prices up because they are tired of making billions they want to make trillions in profit. time to drill in Alaska.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Launching!

3.77 here in upstate ny