Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Welding cast iron

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 01:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread turned out well!! ALOT of great info and knowledgeable people responding!!
Old 10-21-2008, 03:51 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Big
It can be done, but it must be heated first... most guys use and electric "hot" plate used for cooking, to heat the parts first... see pics below...

I take it you are getting rid of there propriatary flange in favor of a T3/4 flange?
Old 10-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welding cast iron can be tricky. There are basically two schools of thought on it. Preheat the material or keep it cool.

If you are preheating it you should have the ability to get the material to a minimum of 500deg F and probably no more than 1000F. Since the material is preheated keeping the amperage to a minimum is necessary to avoid cracking and weld the piece in small segments(absolutely no longer than 2" at a time). After you're done bury the part in sand and let it cool.

The other is not preheating the part. Weld the part in small sections(no greater than 1") and let cool. Keeping the part cool is important using this procedure and peening the weld while it is cooling is a requirement to alleviate any stresses in the weld and the surrounding base metal. After letting it cool move onto the next weld.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shearer
Welding cast iron can be tricky. There are basically two schools of thought on it. Preheat the material or keep it cool.

If you are preheating it you should have the ability to get the material to a minimum of 500deg F and probably no more than 1000F. Since the material is preheated keeping the amperage to a minimum is necessary to avoid cracking and weld the piece in small segments(absolutely no longer than 2" at a time). After you're done bury the part in sand and let it cool.

The other is not preheating the part. Weld the part in small sections(no greater than 1") and let cool. Keeping the part cool is important using this procedure and peening the weld while it is cooling is a requirement to alleviate any stresses in the weld and the surrounding base metal. After letting it cool move onto the next weld.

The second method is the one I used to weld part of a block back together. I guess it worked pretty good because the peice I welded back on was the ear that the starter bolts on and it hasent given up on the guy that I did it for yet.

Quick Reply: Welding cast iron