Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cablebandit
aint that the truth.
My small incons made 735-750 rwhp at 15psi
my 88 makes the same power at 8psi so size does matter

turbos are more hassle than a s/c. Just depends on what you want. A s/c requires headers and generally a littly louder vehicle than a turbo vehicle. Turbos are a little stealthier but of course once you go to the drag strip, all bets are off. There is no BEST option....just one that suits YOUR needs/wants best.
Here are my needs.

I want to take my 2600-2700lb ls1/t56 rx7 to 10s (9s if I can get any traction) at 140mph with room to grow in the future if I can ever get used to a car that fast.

Car has 26" tires and 4.10 gears. I know its going to be expensive but I dont care to spend more money than I have to. I built the ls1 rx7 so I have some ability but I cant fabricate turbo systems or anything like that. Seems like used d1sc and p1sc kits are the cheapest options
Old 11-18-2008, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from a price stand point if you haven't the ability ro tooling should I say to fabricate a turbo kit for your car and one is not available, then yes a SC is going to be the most affordable option for you. it comes complete and making it fit over a turbo kit would likely be easier.

but you'll always wonder what the turbo would have been like!

Chris
Old 11-18-2008, 01:59 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by sciff5
Here are my needs.

I want to take my 2600-2700lb ls1/t56 rx7 to 10s (9s if I can get any traction) at 140mph with room to grow in the future if I can ever get used to a car that fast.

Car has 26" tires and 4.10 gears. I know its going to be expensive but I dont care to spend more money than I have to. I built the ls1 rx7 so I have some ability but I cant fabricate turbo systems or anything like that. Seems like used d1sc and p1sc kits are the cheapest options
a nice ls2 based 402 with a 100 shot and call it a day. simple
Old 11-18-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Umm ati prices aren't that cheap anymore .No idea on vortech and not many options for twin screw or roots types in our f bodies..MTI is going a kit and though other sponsor on here?
My aps kit was 5500 shipped and they are a bit more now. The install is long around 100 hours but not that hard really. Just lots of little things to slow you down here and there but it was complete ,every nut and bolt. And now that its in there very stock looking and stealthy.

So again don't see why people think the supers are that much simpler to install.
A roots or twin screw can be simpler but he once its installed its installed right?
And you can get the new sts kit for think around same or bit less than super and they are pretty easy install and trust me they work great, sound great and think the new upgraded kit has worked out most of the bugs of the earlier ones and buddy has early ls1 kit and he loves it so can't be that bad.
Why are turbos so complicated. Install turbo maybe take off oil pan not that hard support engine crop kmember no big deal..almost as easy as some header installs. Drill out pan for returns or oil goes thru cap on the sts. Hook up some coolant lines if your turbos are water cooled. Install an intercooler and run your cold and hot pipes. Its not that bad really. With a decent aps or sts kit. Hearing not so good things about those hp kits too bad they looked pretty nice on paper and nice to have more options.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Umm ati prices aren't that cheap anymore .No idea on vortech and not many options for twin screw or roots types in our f bodies..MTI is going a kit and though other sponsor on here?
My aps kit was 5500 shipped and they are a bit more now. The install is long around 100 hours but not that hard really. Just lots of little things to slow you down here and there but it was complete ,every nut and bolt. And now that its in there very stock looking and stealthy.

So again don't see why people think the supers are that much simpler to install.
A roots or twin screw can be simpler but he once its installed its installed right?
And you can get the new sts kit for think around same or bit less than super and they are pretty easy install and trust me they work great, sound great and think the new upgraded kit has worked out most of the bugs of the earlier ones and buddy has early ls1 kit and he loves it so can't be that bad.
Why are turbos so complicated. Install turbo maybe take off oil pan not that hard support engine crop kmember no big deal..almost as easy as some header installs. Drill out pan for returns or oil goes thru cap on the sts. Hook up some coolant lines if your turbos are water cooled. Install an intercooler and run your cold and hot pipes. Its not that bad really. With a decent aps or sts kit. Hearing not so good things about those hp kits too bad they looked pretty nice on paper and nice to have more options.
I have zero interest in an butt mount turbo system, APS is another story but I dont think they'll fit my platform. . To do a proper turbo system I'de have to bend a lot of hotside/coldside piping and thats the hardest part for most (well at least for me)

I can get a used P1sc D1sc kit for 3000-4500$. The Ls1 GTO kit fits the Rx7 with minimal modifications.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

a nice ls2 based 402 with a 100 shot and call it a day. simple
I already have the nitrous kit.. soo.. does make it easier. Dont know if that would be enough though
Old 11-18-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah with your platform no the aps kit is not for you really. And yeah used super would work pretty good not all that hot side piping .Agree for you likey a super is easiest.
Or forged up NA with spray..408 or 402 are nice sizes in 6.0 iron or ls2 aluminum or maybe l92.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Banned

butt mount with a little ingenuity,
for your frankenstien...what could be better?

forget what you've heard, and go for what you know.

my .02
Old 11-18-2008, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GT67METHV
butt mount with a little ingenuity,
for your frankenstien...what could be better?

forget what you've heard, and go for what you know.

my .02
I'de probably mount it as far forward as possible. Create a hump in the floorboards. So I could fit a turbo in there and mount it up high and keep the ground clearence.

I was pretty sure I was going to do a custom turbo setup but my tuner is well known in this area and on this board.. and even he seemed to like prochargers over twin screws and turbos. (he felt twinscrews were great but produced power in a manner that made it difficult for most people to get it to the pavement on a street car, and I dont really know why he didnt like turbos I forgot what his reasoning was) He felt that generally prochargers were easier to get off the line than anything else, they produce a power curve thats easiest to manage, and generally run better times at the track because of it. That kinda threw me through a loop because I wasnt expecing him to say it.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Banned

sounds like the profit margine for invoice/cost could be
hoodwinking the build for said project.
my money, my build,...i was never a fan of
hey, you should be greatful i would build this for you,
it's more like... ummm,? excuse me, but you should be thanking me
for spending my cheddar hurr'. ya~mean!?

but that's just me. nothing beats a turbo.
now if thats a fact, tell me am i lying?
cuz you my friend, are leading this build.
don't get swayed by opinion. do it once, and do it right.
good luck in all your future endeavourse!
Old 11-18-2008, 05:32 PM
9 Second Club

2700pounds with a 408 and a little spray will get it done all day and is pretty easy. I LOVE turbos....but I dont think it is what would suit his needs best. Calculate the hp needed to run the time at that weight and build accordingly
Old 11-18-2008, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NicD
Looks like you are just repeating what you heard somebody else say because it's not factual information and you obviously don't have any experience. My combo is about as simplistic as you can get as it's just a stock cube motor with a average sized turbo (T76). My powerband goes from 3700 rpm to 7000 rpm as I let off early on that graph I posted and that's on a non-loaded dynojet and it's better on the street/strip. During a race I am really never below 3800 rpm nor am I below full boost.
hmm i have no experience with turbos.....ok if u say so. u know what they say about ppl who assume things... well anyways being skeptical is good so take your car to a mustang dyno you will find it interesting. let us know about your powerband.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:27 AM
7 Second Club

Received 335 Likes on 225 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by topend
hmm i have no experience with turbos.....ok if u say so. u know what they say about ppl who assume things... well anyways being skeptical is good so take your car to a mustang dyno you will find it interesting. let us know about your powerband.
Um, yes it's obvious you have no real experience with turbos and lets add mustang dyno's to that list. A mustang dyno can apply more of a load than a non-loaded dynojet and that would make the boost hit earlier "showing" an even bigger powerband to a turbo car. But what do I know, I only tune turbo/supercharged cars and use a dynojets and mustang dynos pretty much every day. I think you should just leave the thread.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

lol no dont! this makes the day go by
Old 11-19-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by topend
Um, yes it's obvious you have no real experience with turbos and lets add mustang dyno's to that list. A mustang dyno can apply more of a load than a non-loaded dynojet and that would make the boost hit earlier "showing" an even bigger powerband to a turbo car. But what do I know, I only tune turbo/supercharged cars and use a dynojets and mustang dynos pretty much every day. I think you should just leave the thread.
I was there the day NicD made that dyno pull and it was hard me for to swallow that he made 800/800 with his setup, but I have to believe his numbers if I want to believe mine. This dyno sheet was of my truck on the same day. He had already left, so he probable doesn't remember a stupid truck guy, , but this was on my truck when I only had the 4.8 with a 210/218 .551 116lsa cam, meth and a MP T70 turbo on 11psi of boost and 91oct gas. Not bad for a baby motor and cam

Old 11-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sciff5
Supras and vipers come to mind. both around 3.0. Supra being a little longer, viper being a little shorter

And both have double overdrive.. Come on.. thats stupid long

I can see why zombie would need 2.75 rear gear with no overdrive

A Supra only has a single OD.

Fith gear is 1-1...
Old 11-20-2008, 09:59 AM
7 Second Club

Received 335 Likes on 225 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I was there the day NicD made that dyno pull and it was hard me for to swallow that he made 800/800 with his setup, but I have to believe his numbers if I want to believe mine. This dyno sheet was of my truck on the same day. He had already left, so he probable doesn't remember a stupid truck guy, , but this was on my truck when I only had the 4.8 with a 210/218 .551 116lsa cam, meth and a MP T70 turbo on 11psi of boost and 91oct gas. Not bad for a baby motor and cam
I think I remember that day, weren't there two of you guys there with turbo trucks? Your truck made good power for the combo for sure and the powerband is nice.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

2700pounds with a 408 and a little spray will get it done all day and is pretty easy. I LOVE turbos....but I dont think it is what would suit his needs best. Calculate the hp needed to run the time at that weight and build accordingly
The RPM trailblazer went 9.2X with a 427 and a 450 shot so Im guessing getting a 2700lb car into the high 9s wouldnt be a problem with a 402 and good hit of nitrous.

I think I remember that day, weren't there two of you guys there with turbo trucks? Your truck made good power for the combo for sure and the powerband is nice.
Im guessing thunder550 was there with his blue ext cab.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya, It was the GTO dyno day, but me and Chris, (Thunder550) had our turbo trucks there.

Quick Reply: Procharger VS Turbo Dyno Graphs