Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Bypass valve questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 07:42 PM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bypass valve questions

Hey guys,

I'm mentally planning out a custom FMIC kit (for a D1SC), and I would prefer a BPV to a BOV. I'm not really a PSSHHHT kinda person. Anyway, I've done some reading to figure out where the BPV should bypass to, and everything I find is either contradictory, or just doesn't make any sense. Should it bypass to the intake pipe between the filter and the head unit?

Also, are there standard flanges for them, or do they tend to be proprietary?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:04 PM
11 Second Truck Club

in stock form, they bypass back to the head unit, just after the filter, before the impeller...
I, and most others, vent to atmosphere by removing the hose going back to the head unit and replacing it w/ a K&N filter...you should also replace the filter to head unit elbow with one w/o a hole for the bypass hose...
Old 11-12-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have mine vented to the atmosphere too and no hole in the blower inlet. The small K/N filter on the race bypass will quiet down the woosh sound. The bypass has a flange with O ring in it. Here are some pics of mine. Also I was told when plumbing mine up to put the by pass before the inercooler so there is no hot supercharged air going through the cooler untill I wanted it in the engine. The first pic is the flange that I had to weld in to the Y pipe.

http://mycarpics.shutterfly.com/236
http://mycarpics.shutterfly.com/235
http://mycarpics.shutterfly.com/226
Old 11-13-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running a single plane and my bypass is right before the air hat, and dumps straight down into the inlet of the T-trim blower. It never makes a sound. SD tune so I didn't have to worry about the MAF.

Jim
Old 11-13-2008, 09:09 AM
11Second Club

Originally Posted by DeltaT
I'm running a single plane and my bypass is right before the air hat, and dumps straight down into the inlet of the T-trim blower. It never makes a sound. SD tune so I didn't have to worry about the MAF.

Jim
Why would you have to worry about the MAF? Does a BOV or BPV confuse it?
Old 11-13-2008, 09:13 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Gauge
no it does not...
intake filter -> head unit -> BPV -> FMIC -> MAF -> throttle body
Old 11-13-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm mentally planning out a custom FMIC kit (for a D1SC), and I would prefer a BPV to a BOV.
Youre only option is a BPV. You can't properly use a BOV on a supercharged car.
Like a few others have posted, place it before the intercooler if you can. I have mine like that, and vented to the atmopshere. Just be warned..Its LOUD. A lot louder than it was when I had it after the intercooler.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gauge
If your BPV is after the MAF, then you must vent back into the system after the MAF as well. Otherwise the MAF has recorded air flow that is not reaching the motor, like if you vented the BPV to the atmosphere or before the MAF.

Since you are designing a custom system, I highly recommend Corky Bell's book 'Supercharged!'. Lots of layout tips, IC calculations and supporting info. I used it to build by system, including all the brackets, tubing, speccing the IC, etc. And it came out ****. Pix at my site above.

Just not an F-bod.

Jim
Old 12-07-2008, 06:27 PM
11Second Club

Okay, I ended up with this Vortech bypass valve, which kind of came with the D1SC kit I bought off a member. Now that I have it, looking at it brings up a couple questions for me...

1) Why does this thing need vacuum to operate? Is this absolutely necessary? Do BOVs need vacuum?
2) I see the outlet is shaped like an oval. What do you guys recommend to connect to this? Just a plain ol' rubber hose, or should I be using something in particular?
3) The D1SC has a black plastic intake pipe that goes to the air filter. That pipe has a small, round hole in it. I'm assuming this is where I should take the output of the BPV to? If so, what parts should I use to seal a hose to it?

I'm sorry, I know these questions are kind of stupid, but I'm not really known for my ingenuity when it comes to things like this, and I really want it to be clean, not rigged. I'm asking primarily because I want to do it right.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

It needs a vacuum sourse to function. I perosnally dont have anything on the oval outlet of it, but it is a bit loud.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:09 PM
11Second Club

Thanks for the response, Jimmy.

Does anyone have a similar setup that could answer the questions about type of hose and the hole in the plastic intake pipe? Anyone with pics?

Bob, maybe?
Old 12-07-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like jimmy said you need vac for it to work, The engine makes VAC when you are at idle and part throttle, when you go WOT the engine doesn't make vac and that's when the BPV closes and lets the boost go into the engine. You can either plum the bypass in the blower inlet or get a expantion plug for the ruturn hole and let the BPV go to the atmosphere.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:25 PM
11Second Club

Thanks for the replies, guys.

So, if I decide to run the bypass line back to the hole in the intake duct... let's say I clamp a hose to the BPV, then use a reducing hose coupler (presumably with hose barbs on either side), then what would you use to secure that to the hole in the intake pipe? Anyone have pics of this?
Old 12-08-2008, 03:31 PM
11 Second Truck Club

if it's like mine was...
there's an aluminum piece that fits in the by-pass hose, held on w/ clamp...then the other end has a groove in it that the inlet tube's hole fits into...

Quick Reply: Bypass valve questions