Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ATTN: Warbird....Please Reply Regarding Overheating Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 04:25 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,208 Likes on 773 Posts

Default Re: ATTN: Warbird....Please Reply Regarding Overheating Issue

Paul-

Last time I talked to Rob about doing his kit was early this year and the price was not far off from his regular retail price of that time.

I didn't call you because I disagree with the whole way you and Dave Childress have gone about R&D'ing your setups.

In your situation you bought the kit thru ARE, so ARE should be primarily responsible for tweaking out the combo. After all, you could have bought the kit directly from QMP and brought the car down there and had them install it and dyno tune it.

I've spent a bunch of hours in a car with Rob and hanging out with Rob. He's pretty consistent... and he's not the kind of guy who taking a 'net drubbing lying down.

The overlying problem is this... how do we know your motor is working properly and how do we know that your car is tuned properly? The reason I side with Rob on this stuff is that I know he knows a lot about turbo stuff in general. On the phone today he said "I don't know much about nitrous and I don't pretend to but I know a lot about turbocharging."

Now I have been doing a lot of research into FI lately too.

I don't get why you say the crossover and log manifold is restrictive and is the problem when you don't even make the same power level as Rob's car. Now granted your bigger motor would move more air but would the QMP stuff be sooooo restrictive that you can only make the power equivalent of 550rwhp? I don't see it.

Lastly, let's not underscore the costs involved in making a kit of this nature. I've known a few folks who have fabbed up custom turbo kits and one person who happens to make 730rwhp and run 134mph trap speeds indicated how much money they had into making their kit, it's way more than how much the QMP kit costs.

Old 09-24-2003, 04:32 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

422 SS/Dave, were you the other guy who had the QMP kit ordered thru ARE?

To add another point, I find that I am still learning about FI every day. Every day, every new thread, every phone call, all that does is make me realize that I had a very basic construct about how this stuff works. Stuff like octane requirements is a whole 'nother world.

I'm excited about how Rob's current setup works because it's straightforward... he even posts his cam specs guys!!!

To dawg his setup and say "that other guy is within a tenth with a stock long block" is just a comment designed to keep the war going. IMO Mike Brown's setup works great because he got to watch how other folks did and he has great tuning.

Let's keep sharing info and setting records, that's why I built my car.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:35 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I am going to lock this threat at 6pm.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can take the kit off and sell it to me.

Send me PM we can negotiate a price. It should be off the car soon.

Paul
Old 09-24-2003, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i agree with the pep talk john.. and in before the lock

didnt dawg his car, who can? i just said im not impressed.

i'm sure the tune on the ce car is awesome.. its a shame ssooblue had problems with them or he would be in the 10's allready.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

[quote]
Blah, blah, blah...Okay...simple question then:

Why is it that my car makes over 700rwhp/758rwtq through the SAME passenger manifold and never runs hot? And please don't say it's because my engine is smaller. That would only work in my favor to proving my point further.

Your car runs cooler because you have a camero. You get better flow through the radiator then our formulas and T/As
Old 09-24-2003, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Just please don't compare my setup to Mike Brown's. His car is in my opinion more impressive than mine. I even told him that personally. As PSJ said, that was just to add fuel to the fire.

His car weighs 500lbs less than mine and runs great. I have more in my car, I just haven;t shown it yet. Keyword, yet.

So did I get the last word?
Old 09-24-2003, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

word
Old 09-24-2003, 05:14 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

6pm Central.

You guys should really look at what this stuff costs, if you are going to make another kit you'll see.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

its a shame ssooblue had problems with them or he would be in the 10's allready.
I am, with ETs. And I came close with Nittos and a lousy launch. Thanks for asking...

You lose, as usual. And I just used a remote tune. My single mistake in this mod was to trust a local tuner... A mistake that I will never again make.

Yo, Jarrod. You're going to have to do better than that! I may be lazy at times, but I can out-wrench you with NO tools. My lousy N/A Carb'd 347 Mustang out 60'd, out 1/4'd and out dyno'd your pathetic Mustang, AND it was street driven... constantly!

SC-
Old 09-24-2003, 05:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way I see it, QMP is not to blame here. Warbird bought a Tuner Kit from ARE, and Rob says he told ARE and Warbird that the turbo was going to be too small for his engine. Therefore it caused major backpressure overheating the engine, blowing seals, and cracking the manifold. This is just not QMPs fault.

Warbird you probably need a T88 or 101 turbo for that motor. Seems to me that ARE should have listened to the kit manufacturer(QMP) that the turbo and exhaust were not up to par. I am glad that Warbird has found some patches for his problems, but I still say that a larger turbo designed to handle the flow of a 400+" motor would fix ALL of these problems.

I would also bet that if you don't, it would not be long before the MAC header starts to crack also. You could put a turbo manifold with 2" primaries and a 3.5" log with a 3" cross-over, and if the turbo is still too small; the exhaust is still going to jam up at the turbine housing radiating all kinds of heat and back pressure to the manifolds and motor.
Why don't we start another discussion on larger cubic inch motors and their requirements in exhaust flow versus velocity over a 346" motor.

The only design question I have about the QMP kit is why the primaries on the turbo log manifold enter the log straight instead of angling toward the direction of flow. I am sure that there is a reason for this; and it may very well be that it just doesn't matter that much. I will contact Rob Raymer personaly to discuss this. And no, I can't afford his turbo kit. I am just a gear-head that wants to know how **** works. If he is unwilling to discuss the designs of his turbocharger kit, guess what? That is his right and I will respect that.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry Rob told me the turbo was more than enough for my car. You got that wrong.

ARE order exactly what the kit manufacturer told them to order.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Sorry Rob told me the turbo was more than enough for my car. You got that wrong.

ARE order exactly what the kit manufacturer told them to order.
Hmmm. OK. I guess I may have read that wrong or possibley got it from another unrelated thread .

Good luck with your new set-up Warbird.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No problem and thanks.

I'll be sure to post up results, dyno numbers and time slips eventually. The change will make a big difference
Old 09-24-2003, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

5:59 and counting.

PSJ will probably scam the last word
Old 09-24-2003, 06:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Heehehehe.
I need a turbo charged LS6 in a Miata or a 240Z