Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ATTN: Warbird....Please Reply Regarding Overheating Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: ATTN: Warbird....Please Reply Regarding Overheating Issue

only one person said they haven't had any problems... and his (SS00Blue) comments seem a bit retarded. So overall, the kit has serious problems... as seen from the results in the field.
Just for the record, SS00Blue had a ton of problems with his kit but he blamed them on Speedworks and their tune. I think he installed it himself (3 for 3 on tuner kit problems?). He has never said how he corected his problems either.

-Geoff
Old 09-23-2003, 06:22 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

To fix it he would have to do what Rob should have done right the first time... design something that would flow more than the "street" kit that TT designed.
When TT came out with their kit, nobody else had a turbo kit for the Ls1's, so to beat everyone to the market, they accepted the downsides to the log manifold and introduced the kit as a "street" kit... rob just tried to make a street kit into a high hp supporting race kit as well and it just doesn't work.
There is nothing that the QMP kit will do that the original TT kit won't other than cost you more money, cause you more problems down the road, and when those problems do arise, the manufacturer will make public posts with the intention of embarrassing you, claiming you are wrong... "FACT".

This is BS.. and as time goes by, i am seeing what i hoped would happen... more people would realize Rob is a liar and his kit does not do what he claims it will, and they are posting up that they are not getting what they expected when they purchased the kit.
Maybe by the end of the year, Rob will "swallow his pride" and admit to everything...

A number of these comments are out of line. The "Rob is a liar" comment is waaaaaay over the line. Do the gentlemanly thing and not stoop to such personal attacks. MM went 124 with his mystery motor and the QMP without the use of a proper wideband so that's pretty decent eh?

I am thinking that the intercooler has been blocking the radiator and I have seen cars with setups like that hit 225F all day long in traffic and part throttle.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IN CONCLUSION

Warbird is posting on other parts but neglecting this post.

It was time to "PUT UP" but Warbird didn't or at least hasn't answered Robs SIMPLE question.

That says a lot

Rice ETR just stop posting man. Your obviously clueless and are only making yourself look more foolish.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Rice Etr - You are an idiot. Plain and simple. I'll deal with you tonight when I get home. (please don't lock this thread Mods...I want to address everything this crybaby said)

In the meantime, maybe you can go buy a turbo kit, supercharger, or whatever else it is you plan on doing THIS week. Better yet, start designing a kit yourself, you know so much.

You also may want to read back over ALL of my FACTS. 7HP more than Warbird??? WTF are you talking about??? I make 200 more rwhp than he does with nearly 100 less cubic inches! How about the 2000hp Turbo Mustang with 2 1/2" piping???? Guess he doesn't know anything either....

I really wish you would either go away, or come talk to me face to face.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

FWIW i have trapped 126.7 and until there is at least one person in the entire world that has trapped more than that on pump gas on this kit then it cannot be said that my tuning was improper. also call are if you would like clarification on my engine.. we have had it straight for some time now and for those interested it will remain the same for the next set up.. at which time some comparison numbers of the new to qmp will be ''interesting''

i agree it's fair to see rice etr's opinions slide as long as you allow ssooblue's and rob's opinions to slide.. and i thank you for that
Old 09-23-2003, 07:02 PM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for the record, SS00Blue had a ton of problems with his kit but he blamed them on Speedworks and their tune. I think he installed it himself (3 for 3 on tuner kit problems?). He has never said how he corected his problems either.

-Geoff

oh yea.. that's right.. thanks.. i had forgotten about that, he posted them on ls1turbo.net then deleted them all....

sscam.. you edited your post.... was a oh so helpfull smilie... now this....why?
Me clueless? of course you are entitled to your opinions.. but i would imagine you owning a turbo car or even a car that was NOT running 14's would help your arguement.... maybe you should just stop posting?

Rice Etr - You are an idiot. Plain and simple
Ok and i think you are a liar among other things... PSJ.. you reading this? Are you going to warn him too?

I'll deal with you tonight when I get home.
I will be at home where i am without power/water... how about you call me on my cell... i will pm you with the number.

In the meantime, maybe you can go buy a turbo kit, supercharger, or whatever else it is you plan on doing THIS week. Better yet, start designing a kit yourself, you know so much.

Don't worry.. i have something in the works... when i get everything going it will only add to everything i have said that is wrong with your kit... what the Ls1 world needs is a good comparison to the QMP kit... soon enough though i promise
Old 09-23-2003, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Location: its as intense as the time i forgot how to sit down

ummm rob did you get my e-mail
Old 09-23-2003, 07:21 PM
Launching!

White...english please. Not all of us are engineers here...
Don't feel so bad. I am, and I can't follow it.

Good or bad, Rob helps pay for this site, and gives us all the chance to speak our mind. How many sponsors are there? How many post often?
Old 09-23-2003, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

FWIW i have trapped 126.7 and until there is at least one person in the entire world that has trapped more than that on pump gas on this kit then it cannot be said that my tuning was improper.
It can be said then. Since Shawn trapped that mph with only SEVEN pounds of boost on a STOCK engine.

RICE ETR - My "idiot" comment came AFTER your "liar" comment. And believe me, there are much more fitting names for you I would like to say. I held back.

Now, on to defending your unfounded, non-factual, ignorant statements:

If he didn't reply, he would have been "assumed" to be wrong... and so he replied just as anyone else would do if they were called out...and you set him up for a bashing
Of course he needed to reply. I asked him to answer this question in the last post that got locked. He OWES EVERYONE an answer. Especially us, since he has been continually placing the blame on our kit. What's so hard to understand about that? Why didn't he just answer the question?? Simple - He's pleading the 5th.

A few other people have had this poorly designed clamp deal blow off.. so were all of those not tight either??
A "few" WHO?? MM and Warbird. Stop making **** up.

Your exactly right.... all that back pressure from the log style manifold.. NOT the catback. True the catback was restrictive... so hp and some spool up was affected... but if the catback was that restrictive... the car would have never made any boost due to the pressure differential between the turbine side and the downpipe side.
Of course it wasn't THAT restrictive. HE ONLY GAINED 50RWHP BY REMOVING IT! You sure know how to load a paragraph with words that make absolutely no sense. NOTHING you said has ANY merit to it whatsoever. Are you in politics??

MM's cracked.. and he had a straight through 3" bullet right on the end of the QMP intermediate pipe coming from the downpipe
You can't even use him as an example. He has NO IDEA what his AF ratio was at any time. He BURIED HIS BOOST GUAGE at over 30lbs! I would expect nothing less with the likely EGT numbers he had to be seeing.

Rob.. you have an auto... just point and shoot, not much skill involved other than cutting good lights... and you don't seem to do that well either..
What would you know about how hard it is to drive a fast car? Your biggest claim to fame is some 440rwhp turbo Mustang that you don't even have anymore, but still feel necessary to put it in your LS1Tech Signature! Ever notice that I wasn't actually racing anyone in the Z?? I tell you what, go to my website and look at the pass I just made in the Viper this weekend during an actual race. The board clearly posts my .004 reaction time in the video. Care to line up with me? Bring your wallet.

So it was valvesprings that caused his graph to die off? or was it fuel problems like you told everyone?
Do a search idiot. I answered that for you MULTIPLE times. Again, another quote taken out of contect to try and prove me a liar. Sorry...can't be done.

hmmmm... only at 550rwhp... didn't i say somethig about that being the limit of the kit where there was a wall you would start hitting?
Why yes, I think you did say that! Just goes to show even more how little you know. I didn't seem to have any problem at all making 700+rwhp with the same setup. Wow...some big wall I was hitting, huh? So what do you have to say about that now? That maybe you are WRONG????
Don't quit your day job, because I really don't think your "turbo design and consulting" business is going to work out for you. You only missed your projection by at least 200rwhp.

And if you look at the results... only one person said they haven't had any problems... and his (SS00Blue) comments seem a bit retarded. So overall, the kit has serious problems... as seen from the results in the field.

More lies from you. BlackZ28Turbo, Shawn, SS00Blue, and there are more. But that's all I needed to list to prove you WRONG AGAIN.
So please, tell us what "serious problems" there are? That Warbirds car runs hot? That his clamp fell off? That HIS exhaust was too restrictive for our kit, just like I told him? That MM never tuned his car with a wideband? That MM's car wouldn't hold boost? (which, by the way, I heard MM had a blown headgasket....is that true?) That would explain his boost problem anyway. (which he was also the only person to have that problem).
Oh yea...sounds like we have some serious problems alright.

RICE ETR - The only thing that really comes to mind for me now is....why don't you mind your own business. Why does this always have to involve YOU? You have absolutely ZERO credentials to back you up. And I for one am sick of listening to your stupidity. Now please, I have answered everything you asked, so LEAVE MY THREAD.

Warbird - Still waiting for that answer. Or better yet, the apology.

Old 09-23-2003, 08:53 PM
Teching In

sscam68:
"Rice ETR just stop posting man. Your obviously clueless and are only making yourself look more foolish."

Couldn't have said it better....

Wasn't it RICE ETR that said:
"Bottom line is that nobody has put such a huge engine under the QMP kit as Warbird. So that 550rwhp wall comes much sooner than it would with a stock engine. The log is TOO restrictive and forcing the engine to work too hard and building up too much heat in the engine. That is he problem plain and simple. To fix it he would have to do what Rob should have done right the first time... design something that would flow more than the "street" kit that TT designed.
When TT came out with their kit, nobody else had a turbo kit for the Ls1's, so to beat everyone to the market, they accepted the downsides to the log manifold and introduced the kit as a "street" kit... rob just tried to make a street kit into a high hp supporting race kit as well and it just doesn't work.
There is nothing that the QMP kit will do that the original TT kit won't other than cost you more money, cause you more problems down the road, and when those problems do arise, the manufacturer will make public posts with the intention of embarrassing you, claiming you are wrong... "FACT"."

Well I'm trying to figure this out, but I can't. Rob says the kit we sell can make upto 500 rwhp and 600 rwtq. I bolted on a kit (by my self), in two nights after work. then we took it to the dyno to tune it, and I dynoed 502 rwhp, and 597 rwtq. (Thats is, I'd say right on the money of the advertised output of this kit). Do notice that is says upto 500 rwhp, (it is up to the customer how much they want to push).

As for the tuner kit, Rob never said any figures on how much it would/could make (it all depends on set-up and tuning). I would say that Rob can advertise that the tuner kit is good up to at least 700 rwhp and 750 rwtq (SINCE HE HAS DONE IT IN HIS Z28 WITH THE SAME KIT, YES SAME PIPES AND TURBO AS IS WHAT IS ON WARBIRDS CAR).

Also RICE ETR Warbirds manifold cracked because of backpressure, and your beloved MM's cracked because he was running way to lean, and got it to hot (By the way what was MM's air/fuel??)
Shawn's manifold never cracked and it had 33,000 miles on it, and he was by no means nice to the car (I forgot how many sets of tires he went through)

Now RICE ETR Explain how Rob is a liar??? Rob has done everything he can do for MM, and Warbird, but they will not listen or reason. I'm not going over everything Rob has offered to do, but I think most people on this site has already heard.

AS FOR WARBIRD:

He called Rob one day and Rob talked to him for at least an hour (if not longer) And Rob gave him all kinds of possible problems causing his car to overheat. One of which was the B&B NOFLOW EXHAUST
that he was running. Rob told him that it would pick up at least 40 to 50 rwhp, Warbird was surprised at that and said he would try it. A few days later he called back and said he did and it picked up 60 rwhp, and the car is running cooler. BUT I SEE NOWHERE ON ALL HIS POST ABOUT ROB BEING THE ONE TO TELL HIM THAT. All I see is this:
As to my running hot problem, QMP had zero constructive input into that as well, but it has been fixed and I know exactly what the problem was now.

Now who is the liar??? And why the fu@k would Rob even try to reason with this Ahole anymore???

Jonathan

Old 09-23-2003, 09:16 PM
Teching In

WOW! I wanted to thank everyone for this awesome thread. I am out of town sitting in a hotel room and reading this thing has given me something to do.

FWIW, my car has been running incredibly well. I don't care about 1/4 mile times or dyno graphs because I am more interested in how it performs on the street and I must say the car has performed incredibly well.

In regards to numbers, mine did 475rwhp and 584 torque the last time it was on a dyno which was about 8 months ago. This was done at about 8lbs of boost on pump gas. I usually mix a little 104 and run about 10lbs of boost so who knows what power it really makes. I can tell you that the difference between 7lbs and 10lbs is very noticable.

One more thing....there is one problem with my car. I have an exhaust leak at the infamous clamp that seems to be a topic of heated debate. The leak was created when I was racing and bottomed out the car. I tore up the crossover pretty good because my car sits or should I say sat very low. Based on the information in this thread I feel like maybe this was really caused by a bad turbo kit. It couldn't have been my fault for hitting that dip and leaving the car lowered when Rob told me that it could be a problem. In reality I laughed when I saw it, said "I guess I found my exhaust leak" and called Rob so I could get another crossover on order.

BTW - no burning oil, no overheating, and no exhaust leaks until I did my dukes of hazzard stunt.

JB-
Old 09-23-2003, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

this thread involves he general ls1 public rob.. if it does not then its your fault for posting it publicly. jarrod's input is just as valid as anyone else in the thread that does not actually own/have owned a kit... only difference between me and him is that the kit was on MY car.

the first prototype car which was professionally tuned only went just over 125mph so it is NOT said.. and reguardless if it was i still wouldn't believe you based on my business with you.

there are 2 if not 3 other current owners that frequent the board that have had problems with the exhaust layout/clamping.. eventually they will get tired of it and make it public as well... and you can call them liars too.

once again i had a very good idea what my a/f was at all times.. more than one person not listening here.

lastly tell me ALL ABOUT how a headgasket would cause me to loose boost... just air blowing right out the side of the engine to the tune of 150hp worth right? suuuure it was.. FWIW my hg's are fine and i have pictures if anyone is interested.

i was able to run up the boost and not pop the motor because the enourmous exhaust pressure {pre turbo)simply would not allow fresh air in the engine past that point... power would drop and the rest is history.

looks to me like rob is unwilling as a manufacturer to accept constructive criticism on his product. if anyone has any suggestions/complaints they can LEAVE HIS THREAD.

i maintain that this kit is as good if not better than the turbotech kit at getting stock engine cars to 500rwhp.. after that.. either BE rob raymer himself or get off of the internet so your qmp car will run properly past 500rwhp.

thats the way i see it.. could be wrong.. probably am. either way i had fun when i had my qmp kit running and am very happy that it is GONE.

new to the thread.. i'm happy that you two guys (posts directly above) are having good luck.. best wishes and let me know how it does once you get over 10psi and/or a low compression/big displacement engine of which these problems above occur.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i've followed this little "saga"..

and something seems very clear.

I have seen Rob accept criticism on his kit, quite alot of it actually.

there was a thread here, where a customed told his experience of trying to install it himself. it was a PIA.

he pointed out 4 or 5 things wrong with the kit, to which rob complimented the thread.

It seems crazy that any one dares to somehow blame Rob for problems that installer/customer caused.

it is NOT CI, because we've seen a Properly installed bigger CI motor do jus fine with it.

WE may hate the log, but it does just fine. I'd understand if someone had problems with it in the 800-900 hp range...

If i buy a tv to have installed in my car, and when itry it my car shuts off..i'm not gonna call SONY or whatever to complain. The Installer might have something to do with it.

maybe the REAL complain is: Rob u should Remind people what a TUNER kit is, and warn them this is not for everyone.

i do wonder why i don't see people complain about the BASE kit so much.

if u did your own tuning and f-ed up, just Own up to it.

This would be like me calling ARE to tell them their block doesn't support 9s..how can i when they are in the 8s.

It's incredible how some people avoid the question and avoid saying:

"You were right the kit wasn't why the car was overheating instead it was the restrictive BB or whatever".

i would be more pissed if i was an ati Owner trying to reach 10 psi of boost, when so many have belt issues above 8.

^This i consider a problem with the kit.

The problems i'm seeing here would have happened with any turbo kit that would put similar numbers..

If i was Rob i would have stopped trying and offering to Fix at no charge. He didn't even sell u the damn kit.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sscam.. you edited your post.... was a oh so helpfull smilie... now this....why?
Me clueless? of course you are entitled to your opinions.. but i would imagine you owning a turbo car or even a car that was NOT running 14's would help your arguement.... maybe you should just stop posting?
Well I tend to sugar coat my postings. If you really wanna know how I feel SC pretty much has summed it up.

fug it, YOU GUYS DO NOT KNOW WTF YOUR DOING!

You try to come off as some expert on turbo systems when all you really have done is just bolted one or two up. Its pretty obvious from your posts you don't even have the technical knowledge or experience to design or even build one from scratch.

What experience do I have. I dunno maybe just maybe I have done some R&D on these engines WAY BEFORE the aftermarket even started to take off. Bolting up a supercharger CUSTOM FABBING MOUNTING BRACKETS, INTAKE DUCTING AND TUNING WITH OUT LS1EDIT all on what I would barely call a "machine shop". LOL we weren't even using gasoline, it was running on alcohol! I didn't even apply to the team, I WAS RECRUITED!! Not to shabby for an 18 yo kid huh?

Down the 1/4 the only thing we got spanked by was an LPE built truck. Not bad for a few college kids huh?

So yeah bud pick apart my stock E.T., its the only thing you've got on me.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

once again i had a very good idea what my a/f was at all times.. more than one person not listening here.
Oh I listen AND understand. Obviously you don't. Even though you put it in black and white yourself with that statement, "i had a very good idea what my a/f was". You have never had ANY idea what your AF actually was. You have never used a wideband! You are apparently the only person who doesn't realize a factory O2 sensor IS NOT ACCURATE. Why in the hell do you think they cost $75 and a Wideband costs $500???? THINK ABOUT IT!
BTW, I was IM'd immediately after my post about your headgasket blowing. The person who told me this corrected me by saying that the HG wasn't actually blown, but rather you were getting pressure past the gaskets and out the block. (i.e. "lifting the heads") He said it was obvious by the burn marks on the bottom sides of your heads. Are you saying that's not true?

only difference between me and him is that the kit was on MY car
Wow, that's an ingenius statement. Well then, what's the difference between you and anyone then? We all either have a kit on our car or don't, right? After all, that's what we are talking about here. People who ACTUALLY OWN KITS who have had problems. So far, I know of TWO. BOTH WERE TUNER KITS. So I think we can conclude that 100% of the time, the problem has been with the TUNER or INSTALLER, and NOT the kit.

i was able to run up the boost and not pop the motor because the enourmous exhaust pressure {pre turbo)simply would not allow fresh air in the engine past that point... power would drop and the rest is history.
It's absurd statements like this that prove how little you really know about turbos and engines. I think you have the only "pop-proof" motor in existence. I'm still laughing from reading that! The "enormous backpressure" would not allow you to blow your motor because it couldn't get enough air in it to do it???? That's the funniest thing I have read in a while.

So again I ask, what credentials do you or RICE ETR actually have to back up all of your ridiculous THEORIES? Let's see...RICE ETR HAD a turbo Mustang once that made a whopping 440hp. He now has a basically stock LS1, right? And how fast is it again?
And you have managed to have 2 different turbo kits, built motors, blown up motors, and never tuned one to the point of outrunning one of our stock motor'd Turbo's LS1's. Oh yea, I almost forgot...your a FI Moderator on the other Board! Then you must know something or else you couldn't have passed the FI Moderator Admission Test! Ooops, I forgot, they don't actually test you for that position, do they?

You aren't the only one who is glad you got rid of your kit....trust me.

Old 09-24-2003, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob, if you'd stop trolling so much something constructive would come of this thread. You make yourself look bad constantly. Makes it hard to trust or believe you when you never seem to listen. You are too defensive.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:32 AM
On The Tree

As I keep saying, all Warbird had to do was answer ONE SIMPLE QUESTION. Nobody else needed to post anything. Did they?

Speaking of "trolling", what exactly is it that you are doing?

You make yourself look bad constantly
That's your opinion, and I didn't ask for it. How's that for too defensive?
Old 09-24-2003, 01:36 AM
On The Tree

Makes it hard to trust or believe you when you never seem to listen.
All I have done for literally 97 posts now is listen for one answer. Have you actually listened to anything?
Old 09-24-2003, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Rob no offense, but if you talk to your customers, or people in general like this on the phone. Then I can see why they take their concerns to the boards. You and your loyal supporters seem to like to take the low road and make things very personal while the majority of the people complaining are trying to explain their concerns, be they founded or unfounded. Not to say nasty things haven't been coming from both sides, but 9 times out of ten they are coming from your side.

I can understand you being upset about the potential loss of business and you wanting to protect your investment. I can also except that your kit isn't perfect. Even further I can except that maybe MM, Rice_etr, and WB are wrong(not saying they are, but it's possible). But what seems unexceptable is the way you bash your customers when they are trying to figure out what's wrong with their car. As an FI buyer that went a different direction I can tell you your reaction to these posts was more of a put off than the posts themselves. $7K is a great deal of money to a lot of people. They expect more support than your typical lid buyer.

Just FYI since everyone seems to be voicing their opinions on this subject. If you toned your responces down and took the high road it might carry more weight. And people might be more willing to share their findings about your kit.

Just my opinion,
Mike
Old 09-24-2003, 03:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just for the record, SS00Blue had a ton of problems with his kit but he blamed them on Speedworks and their tune.-Geoff
Uh. No. I had NO significant problems. DSW pointed out that I had one leak, which I fixed by switching clamps, and I had DSW install the injectors (because I didn't want to drive, untuned, with 42 pounders) and they installed the 918 valvesprings because I was too lazy for that job. THEY couldn't figure out how to tune Lucas injectors (and forced me to buy theirs) and they didn't know how to fix a rolling idle. They gave me some garbage excuse about the crossover not being ceramic coated. EW took care of that and the bad tune by remote. They also took several hours to figure out that the MBC should be connected to the intake instead of the turbo, directly. I installed it that way because it has worked for all the Talons I built, including an 11.50 street ricer. Evidently it doen't work that way for the LS1s. Lesson learned for me.

So, basically, I got valvesprings and injectors installed for $1100. That was just poor performance on their part, but hardly a problem with the kit. Up until now I haven't mentioned the problems I had with them, but if you make statements like that I guess it's got to come out.

You seem pretty reasonable, Geoff, but you are misinformed on this.

SC-

Quick Reply: ATTN: Warbird....Please Reply Regarding Overheating Issue