Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Convert to SD and catch can ?s

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Convert to SD and catch can ?s

Two questions I need some help on please. Car info is in the sig but i have a 98 camaro, procharged with the 98 pcm. Previously I was seeing 15lbs boost on the gauge but switched out for a steel J bracket and a new belt and am now seeing 17-18 lbs when i went for a test run. A/F started going lean so I lifted. Blew out the dipstick and a bunch of oil.

Question 1. From all I have read I need a catch can/breather of some sort at this point. I will probably buy the moroso vented can from EPP as I believe in 2 way loyalty. What is the easiest (most simple) way to plumb this? I have searched and read the posts but still am a bit confused. What is really needed at my boost level? If it matters this is a DD car.

Question 2. Obviously I will need to get the car re-tuned for the extra 3lbs of boost I am now seeing. I currently have a MAF tune in the car, At this boost level 17-18 am I better off switching to Speed Density? and if so do I need 2 or 3 Bar? and what all is involved in the conversion? I have heard that the 98 pcm's can be problematic for tuning.

Thanks to all for the help and advice. Adam
Old 11-21-2008, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Catch can sounds like a good plan

Your '98 PCM will not accurately support anything over 14.7psi - or a 2 bar tune, regardless if you tune in MAF or SD, this is why lots of folks do the swap to a 99+ PCM for more than this boost level.

A SD tune is the preferred tuning method for several reasons - the main one is the upper threshold of what the stock MAF can accurately meter is around 14psi. I've heard from my local tuner that boost psi above around 13psi can often add more tuning issues when attempting to accurately tune a car with the stock MAF in place.
I'm pretty sure there was a recent update (within the last year) with the HP tuners software that allows for easier tuning in SD on the '98 PCMs.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Launching!

can a newer pcm just be swapped in or does that require a whole new harness ect.?
Old 11-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Launching!

Anyone???
Old 11-22-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the time the harness needs to be repinned or a new harness and PCM.... thats why most look into it and see the price of them new or used and go with BS3 or find them used in another wrecked car...
Old 11-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Launching!

Does BS3 retain the obd2 port for emissions testing? NastyTA I live about 30 min away in chesapeake btw.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Photochop
Catch can sounds like a good plan

Your '98 PCM will not accurately support anything over 14.7psi - or a 2 bar tune, regardless if you tune in MAF or SD, this is why lots of folks do the swap to a 99+ PCM for more than this boost level.

A SD tune is the preferred tuning method for several reasons - the main one is the upper threshold of what the stock MAF can accurately meter is around 14psi. I've heard from my local tuner that boost psi above around 13psi can often add more tuning issues when attempting to accurately tune a car with the stock MAF in place.
I'm pretty sure there was a recent update (within the last year) with the HP tuners software that allows for easier tuning in SD on the '98 PCMs.
Aftermarket MAF if that makes any difference.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SR-71 SS
Does BS3 retain the obd2 port for emissions testing? NastyTA I live about 30 min away in chesapeake btw.
Didnt even notice you were close by.

Are they checking emissions here?? didnt think they were????

Theres ways around that........

Kyle
Old 11-22-2008, 02:13 PM
9 Second Club

BS3 does not have any emissions on it. its for the hardcore guys
Old 11-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Didnt even notice you were close by.

Are they checking emissions here?? didnt think they were????

Theres ways around that........

Kyle
Now that you mention it I don't think i had to get smog to renew the plates on my honda so I guess not. BS3 is not a viable option for me right now due to cost. Up to the 15 lbs i was running prior to the bracket change the MAF tune has kept at a good A/F ratio. Think it can be pushed for a few more pounds? If not then what is the benifit of switching to a SD tune if it is true the 98 pcm will only support 14.7 lbs as photochop said. Where has the envelope really been pushed for this computer and the various tunes?

Quick Reply: Convert to SD and catch can ?s