Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What weight oil for the boosted guys.??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mobil1 10w-30, I run synthetic in anything I care about.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the oil pressure was fine for a while. And then I was just getting off a drifting course and I noticed a little knock a few weeks ago. And within a few days it went to a loud knock. I ripped the motor out and DAMN, a spunt rod bearing. Not sure if leaving the ROTELLA in too long caused it, or the low oil pressure issues I had at the beginning was to blame. Or if when the last turbo took a crap if that had anything to do with it. It's at the machine shop in Spokane WA, and should be done next week, but not knowing what caused spunt rod bearing is worrying me because, Im fixing the motor, but may still have an issue.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie c5
Well, the oil pressure was fine for a while. And then I was just getting off a drifting course and I noticed a little knock a few weeks ago. And within a few days it went to a loud knock. I ripped the motor out and DAMN, a spunt rod bearing. Not sure if leaving the ROTELLA in too long caused it, or the low oil pressure issues I had at the beginning was to blame. Or if when the last turbo took a crap if that had anything to do with it. It's at the machine shop in Spokane WA, and should be done next week, but not knowing what caused spunt rod bearing is worrying me because, Im fixing the motor, but may still have an issue.
Buddy of mine is aninstructor at driving school with vettes. All the vettes get extra oil half to full quart extra to deal with constant side Gs, if you where drifting and where having some low pressure issue, the high RPMs where trigger to your pro lem.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was running some 5 /40 non syth briefly for break in when it was cold out last fall. I have been running 10/40 non synth this season and plan to run likely 10/40 amsoil next season will run out this season I think on non synth but might switch sooner. Have around 1500 mies on the new engine now.Think 3000 or so is enough to jump to synth.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:07 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5w 30 penzoil platinum

Quick Reply: What weight oil for the boosted guys.??