Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My turbo oil drain solution

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rather not drill since I've put it together! I kinda almost like the oil pump return to the valve cover the best. (Thought I acknowledge some added costs.)
Old 12-09-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Talking to my dad tonight, he seems to think the pressure coming out of the turbo will overcome any back flow into the line. Keeping the return below the oil level will eliminate any foaming since there will be no air and he says you don't want it spraying on the crank anyway. Thoughts?
Old 12-10-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

the return line doesnt 'spray back in' and there is no worry to how foamy it returns

try it, be prepared to move it if you get oil smoke out the exhaust
Old 12-10-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
the return line doesnt 'spray back in' and there is no worry to how foamy it returns

try it, be prepared to move it if you get oil smoke out the exhaust
He seems to think pressure out to pressure in is 1:1. I kinda thought it just "drained" too.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Talking to my dad tonight, he seems to think the pressure coming out of the turbo will overcome any back flow into the line. Keeping the return below the oil level will eliminate any foaming since there will be no air and he says you don't want it spraying on the crank anyway. Thoughts?
There is no real pressure in the return line.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

The drain line is larger than the feed line so no pressure problem.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:58 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by dhdenney
if you put it below the oil level your going to have a drain back problem and your going to get a lot of smoke and oil out the back of the turbo...
Old 12-10-2008, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

I think I'll just go with the scavenge pump.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:47 PM

Default Turbo oil drain

I know it's an old thread. But eBay sales the oil level sensor adapter fitting to -10 and I'm using it as my oil drain with no problems. It works!
Old 06-03-2020, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Turboradomike
I know it's an old thread. But eBay sales the oil level sensor adapter fitting to -10 and I'm using it as my oil drain with no problems. It works!
it all depends on your turbo drain flow... if your turbo drain had ALOT of oil coming out of it then it’ll fill that line up before it can let oil into the pan. So your turbo needs to put out less oil than the drain hole can allow the pan to fill up. It’s not pressured hose obviously so gravity has to push that oil in the drain line into pan that’s already fillled.

so if you took 2 cups and put a straw connecting them at the bottom of them. Start filling one and it’ll flow into the other empty one nicely. However once the 2 cups have same amount of water in them and it’s above the straw, the cup being filled with fill up faster than the 2nd cup. Anytime you stop filling, the 2 cups will always level out.

your turbo drain is the first cup being filled and pan is second that’s just filling off gravity. Your turbo drain line will ALWAYS have oil in it up until the oil height that’s inside the pan. So that already shortens up the available empty space in the drain line before oil backs up to turbo.

i would personally get a scavenger pump. I have the exo mini which has both my turbos going to it AND it’s mounted above the turbos alittle. Works great. I’ve seen s2000 turbo cars run drain off the pan drain bolt also. Just seems risky. I wouldn’t do it for twins if it’s working for single. Double the oil! For all you know, the oil drain is filled and inch or less away from turbo whole time it’s running.

Quick Reply: My turbo oil drain solution