Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Sts turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sts turbo

How much power can be had with a sts turbo with a 408 done up right with a m6?
Old 12-08-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty much as much as you want man. Local guy with just a 6.0 sts and a lil spray to help spool and what not is looking for 600+. Depends on money how drive able and everything else. But why do rear mount?
Old 12-08-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

It depends on how much you want to spend and how much boost you want to run. If you run 15 pounds of boost with a quality intercooler and a good methanol system you are probably looking upwards of 700 rwhp.
Boost is boost; a front mount system at 15 pounds of boost will give exactly the same horsepower as a rear mount. If you stay with stock manifolds and wrap the exhaust, lag is virtually non-existent.
The biggest problem you will encounter is your transmission: turbos like automatics. Manuals work better with superchargers.
I've been running the STS system for years and I like it a lot, but I had to figure out and overcome its inherent shortcomings to get to where I want it to be.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:56 PM
10 Second Club

There is so much involved in turbocharging, front mount or rear mount is just a small part. Turbo sizing is a large part of making big numbers, a turbo that works well in a 346 won't be efficient on a 408. When you start pushing a turbo beyond it's envelope of efficiency it doesn't flow well on the exhaust side and builds alot of heat on the intake side.

So 10lbs of boost on one turbo may not make nearly as much power as 10lbs with another turbo. First thing I would suggest is finding knowledgable people to help pick some turbo options that meet your goals. Myself I prefer a little smaller turbo because I'm not looking for large numbers I want torque and midrange with great response but I sacrafice some top end.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Launching!

I can tell you from experience your stock coldside pipe is too small.Im useing a Garrett 88mm turbo with a t6 flange and going to a custom 3" coldside pipeing.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Power is good im a 4xx ci gts 76mm custom pipe rearmount car. On the dyno at 14 psi the car put down 760 to the wheels. On the streets I see 16 psi I cant get it to hold 14 I have done everything short of a new boost controller. But yeah with the right set up buttmounts can be fast. I went through Bob at EPP, for the cam and head information. Jose from force inductions.com for turbo selection, And lethal performance crew for the fuel system and other bugs work out. Oh and a tune.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Id like to know a little bit more of what I'm going to need to do to my STS IROC. I will shortly be putting in a 408 with all the goodies and i already know that my 67mm turbo is gonna be to small what else am I going to need to change i just reworked all my plumming so the charge pip goes up into the fenderwell and I'm not really sure were i would put biiger pipeing. Pics please.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grifter757
Id like to know a little bit more of what I'm going to need to do to my STS IROC. I will shortly be putting in a 408 with all the goodies and i already know that my 67mm turbo is gonna be to small what else am I going to need to change i just reworked all my plumming so the charge pip goes up into the fenderwell and I'm not really sure were i would put biiger pipeing. Pics please.
As stated before ,you can make a boatload of HP, but feeding enough air to the 408 is key. The stock STS piping will be too restrictive for a large turbo/big cube engine. Search LongRange4U's build. He has pics of twin charge pipes leading from the turbo to inclrease flow. Zombie also has a wealth of good info in his threads.

A 76-88mm turbo would be in order for this sized engine. Appropriate fuel injector sizing and an intercooler/meth to cool the charge are also in order. A large dump (tailpipe) will be in order too.

In short....many, many variables; but the potential for big #'s if done correctly.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:04 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=32

Here is a 408 build we did with an STS with a GTS76. Bob

Quick Reply: Sts turbo